Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

Default self conscious about clothing sizes

This is deffinitally not somthing I was expecting when I started my weight loss journey. But just months ago I was a size 24 jeans and a 4x shirt. 50lb later I am a size 18 and XXL (sometimes, depending on the shirt). So today I was at both Old Navy and Target and had the first realization that I was able to fit into "regular" sizes. Sizes that are not plus. This is somthing I have not been able to do since I was maybe 16. I found a few cute shirts and jeans, both of which actually looked good on me. However the entire time I was shopping, I felt extremely self conscious. Like everyone was looking at me thinking "what on earth is she doing over here, she cant fit into these clothes!". It totally ruined what was supposed to be a fun and exciting time. A time where I am supposed to feel confident in myself, being able to fit into new sizes. It was all just really awkward feeling.

Has anyone else gone through this? I have a feeling I am not the only one who feels this way, but it's not at all somthing I thought would happen.

I know I have a long way to go. But I would at least like to enjoy the change along the way.

Last edited by x0me880x; 02-11-2009 at 12:26 AM.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I've felt that way a few times.

These days, I just suck it up and strut my stuff!

Sometimes ya gotta fake it till ya make it.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 91/68/65 kg

Height: 172 cm 5ft8

I know what you mean. Its like you are still in the same mind frame as you were when you were bigger. i still go into shops and feel the way you do, like everyone is looking at me and judging. i even pick up bigger sizes thinking theres no way i could fit a size 10 and i end up getting in the change room and it is much to big.

Ive noticed it has slowly been changing though, and you start to see yourself in a better light, and you realise that you ARE smaller now, even if in your head you see yourself in a negative way. it is very confusing!

But it will go away, and congratulations by they way!!
tarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/174/145

Height: 5 ft 5

i know as hard as it seems.... You shouldnt base your goals on what other people feel... On that note i have been in this position many times... I have always looked at myself and compared... but i have realized that only i can do it and it doesnt matter what anyone thinks or feels.we will always be our selves. what we do with ourselves is what makes the differance
krock614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I still feel that way. I feel really uncomfortable shopping in stores with really cute clothes because I think everyone is staring at me and asking themselves, "What is SHE doing in here?"
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 11st/-/9st

i definitely relate, when im in trendy shops surrounded by 15 year old twiglets i feel very self consious. If i pass a rack of miniskirts i feel like everyone is thinking "her theighs would never fit into that skirt", which of course they're not. I see bigger girls in clothes shops and i dont think anything at all, im just preoccupied with my own stuff. I dont feel like that every time, just when i'm having a bad/fat day, eg my TOM. I dont have any advice except that you'll either get over it as you lose more weight or you will just get used to it
Umberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

I'm going to have to brave the dressing rooms and try things on now. I'm at the point in my journey where the fit of clothing really matters. I range from a size 24-28, depending on what I'm trying to fit into. It is weird for me to try things on as I haven't done this. I sort of just ordered clothing online from fat stores and put them on my body. If they weren't small, then great. Now, I want things to fit and my old methods are not working. Often when I order clothing the fit is all wrong, too big usually.

So, where this should be a celebration sort of thing. I mean I can fit into stores like Lane Bryant and the Avenue now, it is really odd so I can empathize with how you are feeling.

What I'm doing is making small goals to overcome how I feel about myself because really that is what it is about.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

oh yeah i've actually developed a total hatred of shopping over the last 10 years. i tell people it's because i hate the retail experience (which is partially true), but the bigger reason is because i find it truly depressing that nothing fits, is available in my size, or something that looks cute on the mannequin looks horrendous on me.
i CAN'T WAIT to put this all behind me!
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0me880x View Post
However the entire time I was shopping, I felt extremely self conscious. Like everyone was looking at me thinking "what on earth is she doing over here, she cant fit into these clothes!".
Have YOU ever thought that about someone you saw shopping? No, of course not, you're busy shopping and thinking about yourself (I don't mean in a selfish way, just a focused way). And if the people are really small, they probably don't even know what the top end of "normal" sizes look like, or what sizes the store carries, so they don't know whether you'd fit or not.

The only people who might pay attention are the employees, but if they've got half a brain they'll just be happy that you're considering giving them your money.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I know what you mean. I felt weird at first shopping in the non-plus area. But I am here to tell you - the feeling passes
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I buy most of my clothes online for just this reason. I feel like an interloper in the misses department. I basically feel like I'm on some secret mission when I go into the misses department where I need to run in, grab some clothes and run out before someone catches me and says "HEY YOU ARE FAT, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #12  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Im sorry that you feel that way, I've never really had a problem with that even tho im a size 14, XL.

All I can tell you is to not let people get to you, because I can almost guarantee you that they weren't judging you or looking at you the way you think they might have been. I think it was just your self conscious because there might have been thinner girls there.

I have to agree with shcirerf fake it till you make it.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

Thats a really good point that I never thought about. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
Have YOU ever thought that about someone you saw shopping? No, of course not, you're busy shopping and thinking about yourself (I don't mean in a selfish way, just a focused way). And if the people are really small, they probably don't even know what the top end of "normal" sizes look like, or what sizes the store carries, so they don't know whether you'd fit or not.

The only people who might pay attention are the employees, but if they've got half a brain they'll just be happy that you're considering giving them your money.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Yup, i feel like that too. Not in the misses department, cause i could always wear something from that misses. Whether is was a 16/18 or a size 4..but the juniors department. Now that is a whole other ball game. I go over there and i feel like a cow shopping. I know no one is watching me but i am so self conscious, i think someone is thinking i either am too big or too old to be in that department. I rationalize that my teenager is about my same size, so i'm really just shopping for her...if anyone is asking or watching. lol.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'6"

I used to feel this way- but when you explore the feelings of most thin people, they have NO IDEA how self conscious we are. They aren't thinking
the way we are- it just doesn't occur to them. They don't know how psychologically damaging it is to be fat.
Sailorlal is offline   Reply With Quote