3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   I just dont feel like anything is working. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/164142-i-just-dont-feel-like-anything-working.html)

hcred123 02-10-2009 10:25 AM

I just dont feel like anything is working.

Every day I go to the gym for about an hour doing 20 mins on a stationary bike at about 13-16 mph and 20 minutes on an elliptical at about 5 incline and 6 resistance. My calories are about 1500-1600 a day and its all basically really good food choices like chicken, wheat bread, veggies, fruits. I've been doing all this for about 3 weeks and I kinda though that I wasnt losing any weight because I Just recently go my time of the month. Now that thats ended, I was expecting some weight to come off but I woke up this morning and I feel heavier than ever. My stomach seems to be bludging in ways its never had before. I'm just really discouraged. Every other time when I've started to work out and eat better, I've noticed a different almost immidiently and I'm doing more now then I did then. Does anyone have some words of advice?

Sea 02-10-2009 10:30 AM

Could it be that you are more aware of your own body? The stomach bulges being different could be that your body is changing -- for the better, from your gym workouts. Stay strong. It sounds like you are doing what you should be. You are on the right path. Keep moving forward. You are getting better.

bargoo 02-10-2009 10:38 AM

Do not be discouraged, keep doing the right thing and the weight will come off.

JayEll 02-10-2009 10:50 AM

You don't give your current weight, etc., but I would say that you need to primarily focus on the food intake. Don't guess about calories, formally track your food, if you're not already. You say "about" 1500 to 1600 calories, so I'm not sure what your method is.

If you are on the right track, then in 3 weeks you should show some loss. Are you sure you haven't lost some? You don't mention weighing.

Jay

Jen415 02-10-2009 10:53 AM

JayEll is right (as usual!), tracking your food formally makes all the difference in the world. It does for me, anyway!

The quote from Bob Harper on my sig helps me every day...."TRUST THE PROCESS."

wendyland 02-10-2009 11:08 AM

Maybe it's the types of food that you're eating. Have you ever tried to do less carbs, more protein? You may have insulin resistance. You could print off your food list and ask a dietician to look at it. Or ask someone on the forum.

sacha 02-10-2009 11:13 AM

One of the biggest barriers of weight loss is patience and accepting that it will take months, and even years, for weight to come off permanently in a healthy manner. People get frustrated that it isn't instant (a month is instant in weight loss!) and revert back to their old lifestyle. Stick it out and you will see results. It would be helpful if you posted a typical diet (oz/grams/calories/types of food) because often people think they are eating a certain amount but they can be way off.

bargoo 02-10-2009 11:20 AM

Are you eating foods high in sodium ? Salt will cause water retention and will show up on your scale.

rockinrobin 02-10-2009 03:26 PM

I would tend to agree with Jay. Shocker. ;)

Have you been on a scale? Do you know for SURE there's been no loss?

Are your calories truly 1500-1600? Or is it possible they're more???? Careful counting is the ONLY was to know for sure, for sure.

I would weigh myself. I would track my calories carefully for a couple of weeks. Continue exercising. Maybe add in a nice brisk walk every few days or so. I would then take a look and see how it's going. And re-evaluate if need be. Creating a calorie deficit works. You just need to make sure you're creating one.

hcred123 02-10-2009 03:27 PM

Thanks everyone! The last time I weighted myself, I was at 175. I am not doing anything with weight. I am going purely on how I feel and see my body. I dont wanna work toward a weight because when I did that previously, It turned into an unhealthy obsession. I havent really been eating anything with a lot of sodium. My diet is mostly chicken, cards from wheat breads, and cereal. This weekend when I have time I'm gonna go to a drug store and get a tape measured and see if that helps me see results. I really thought that I would just notice my body changing but I guess that isnt happening. Thank you all for the advice...its just really hard sometimes to realize that its going to take a long time when I am putting so much effort into it. Thank you alL!!!

hcred123 02-10-2009 03:54 PM

oh and I am counting calories and I go to a really big college so i walk ALOT inbetween classes, about an hour or so a day of walking.

sacha 02-10-2009 03:56 PM

Calorie counting and walking is great!! Do you eat lots of vegetables? Nutrients are important too. Although "a calorie is a calorie" your body functions much better when it has what it needs in terms of nutrients

jajabee 02-10-2009 08:37 PM

Don't stop now!! If you're not weighing yourself, then it's going to take a while before you see any changes. Even people who do weigh themselves regularly and see the number drop don't necessarily see a difference when they look in the mirror.

I've been doing this for a little over a month now, and I see absolutely zero difference in my flabby arms, bulgy stomach, and huge thighs... but I know I've lost 10 pounds, which is great for a month! I'd never guess it from how my body feels though. I think it really takes closer to 15-20 pounds before you really start to see a difference, and that can take a couple of months.

So don't worry, you're on the right track, and I'm sure you're doing much better than you feel! Just keep on tracking your calorie intake honestly, walking to class, and you'll start seeing a difference soon enough. :)

sws19 02-10-2009 11:25 PM

yeah it can sometimes take a while to see any change. this january, spurred by joining this website, i decided to buy a scale for the first time in years (trust me, i know all about the unhealthy obsessions). i had started a medication in the end of october that was supposed to enable me to actually lose weight like normal people assuming my diet and exercise were ok. i didn't really know if anything was happening. clothes weren't particularly roomier or anything like that. but when i weighed myself the first week of january, i had lost 16 lbs!! so sometimes it takes a while to tell even if you are trying to be in tune with your body.

kitkatbahr 02-11-2009 08:41 AM

Are you sure you are eating ENOUGH calories? I was watching Biggest Loser Couples last night and there was this guy on there who was exercising as he should, but not eating enough calories. Bob kept telling him he had to increase his calorie intake because he wasn't losing weight. His body was hanging on to the energy / calories/fat for dear life because it thought it was in starvation mode. Once he finally increased his calories (HEALTHY calories) then he lost a good bit of weight.

Just a thought!

I found this same to be true. If I cut my calories too close, I don't lose any weight, but if I eat a bit more, the weight falls off. You are exercising, so you are using a good bit of calories. Your body needs a certain amount just to maintain and for your body to function. So, if you can figure out how many you really need just to live, then you can figure out the rest. I went to the gym when I joined, and they did all the BMI stuff, etc. etc. and said that I need 1800 calories just to live! So, if I eat less than that, my body thinks I am starving and hangs on to the fat. LOL

Good luck!
Kathy