Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default was laid off this morning - afraid I'll overeat

I've been under a lot of stress the past month or so due to the financial problems my now-former company is in.

As mentioned above in the title headline, I got laid off this morning (along with 15 other people).

The only consolation I have now is that I can receive unemployment benifits (so I still have some financial means to keep paying some of my bills). I'll also have a good excuse for continuing loan deferment of my college loans when I call up my lender in 2 weeks (a.k.a. unemployment).

Aside from bursting into tears at a neighborhood starbucks (*I only bought myself some herbal tea at starbucks) shortly after I cleaned out my locker and left my former job, I haven't binged yet or anything.

I'm scared I will overeat/gain weight in the upcoming weeks or months it takes me to find a new job.

Anyone have suggestions on how to avoid a weight gain in these stressful times?
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Eating unhealthy foods will NOT help you find a new job. It won't get you money. It won't increase your self esteem. It'll do nothing positive for you.

In times like these it's so important to keep working on your health so that you don't get stuck in a "i'm not worth it" mindset. You need to eat good, so you can feel good. You need to exercise so your mind and heart will stay healthy.

You can do this.

Food won't make it better.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #3  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

I am so sorry to hear that, I can only imagine how stressful and overwhelming that might feel.
My only suggestion would be to divert your energy. Instead of turning to food for comfort maybe go for a walk, do some cleaning around the house or whatever will help you take your mind off food.
You can also keep posting here when you feel the urges come.
Newshinyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I remember when I was laid off & I had the same fears. I thought I'd lie down on a couch with a bag of peanut M&Ms & never get up again.

What really helped me was planning out my new routine for my days & structuring my time. (I don't do well with a lot of unstructured time.) I made sure to build in exercise time first. Then there was job-hunting time, since now that you're out of a job, your new job is basically **finding** a job. There was also socializing time, which was really for networking. I planned a lot of (healthy) lunches out with friends. Above all, I wanted to make sure that I left the house, so if I did any browsing through magazines, I was doing it at the local public library, not at my kitchen table or on my couch.

I think sometimes we binge at the idea of emptiness. If we fill up that emptiness with plans or projects, it can really help.

Is there anything you've been meaning to do, but haven't been able to get around to doing because you have no time? You've got the time now. Take it on.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

Hi Sunshine,
I am so sorry to hear about your layoff.
The best advise I can give you at the moment is to stay occupied.

Keep a sound structure to your days, make a plan of action about getting a new job and stick to it, plan your diet and your exercise.

Speaking from experience, it is really easy to glide into an unstructured situation, going to bed too late, getting up too late and just vegging out.

And if you need an encouraging word, a shoulder to cry on or just a place to have a rant, we are all here for you!

Hang in there!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm so sorry for this news. It's SCARY what's going out in the world, and I'm sorry you've taken a direct hit.

But remember, when everything around is you all screw-y and you have no say in what's going on - remember that what you put in your mouth is something you DO have control over. You may find sticking to your plan is a great source of comfort to you. Now, more then ever, you really need to make yourself a priority.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm so sorry, teawithsunshine! I hope you find a new job soon--one that's even more to your liking.

As for eating--well, when you are tempted, remind yourself that food is not a drug, and even if it were, drugs don't help the situation either.

Overeating doesn't help you find a job.

Overeating doesn't make you look better in interview clothes.

Overeating doesn't go well with having to budget.

Overeating is not a consolation prize--just the opposite! It's a good way to feel even worse.

The best thing you can do to take care of yourself is to make sure you have the foods you need to stay on plan, and continue to eat that way. Remember, you don't have to feel deprived as long as you plan ahead for the foods you choose to eat.

If you do want to have some special food to "make you feel better," PLAN for it--set a limit on it--eat it slowly and be mindful, so that you don't miss the experience.

Try to enjoy the free time you have while you're unemployed. You can't look for work 8 hours a day, so make trips to the library, to museums you've been meaning to visit. See some movies at the cheap early prices (and take your own snacks).

Hang in there... Get that unemployment started, and remember to have tax withheld from it so you don't get a nasty surprise next year.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

I think in tough times you have to remember that over eating & throwing all your hard work out the window (you've lost 118 lbs, woo woo!) will not help your current situation. Part of maintaining this as a life style, instead of a "diet", is getting threw the tough times without turning back to food. Food prob did nothing good for you and it still won't. Over eating now, after all you've lost, is only going to send you spiraling down into a pit where you will be gaining weight, unhappy & still won't have a job.... I am very sorry to hear about your lay off & I know you'll get threw it! DO NOT TURN TO FOOD!
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I'm so sorry! Best wishes that you find employment again quickly.

Last edited by fiberlover; 02-03-2009 at 01:47 PM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I am so sorry, hopefully you will find a new better job soon. You did great at Starbucks getting the herbal tea.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #11  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I think you've gotten a lot of really good advice, so all I'd like to say is that I'm very sorry about your lay-off and situation right now. Keep with your plan and you won't feel bad about your eating anyway. Keep coming here for support, too and best wishes in this stressful time.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Tea...i'm sorry to hear that too. All i can say is to look for the positive in a bad situation. I recently had 3 work days a month taken away from me. I know it is not as bad as losing my job...but struggling already to pay the bills, losing $200 a month out of my paycheck doesn't help one bit. But, on my days off, i use them to get things done around the house i can't do when the kids are home and to excersize. I can do it in 10 minute incriments all day long if i want to.

Make a list of things that you need or want to accomplush while you're unemployed. Got a closet that needs cleaning out, got a room you need to repaint?? Gather up things that are cluttering up your home and have a yard sale. That will keep you busy getting ready for a yard sale. You won't have time to think about overeating...or binging.

You did a great job when you stopped at Starbucks. You chose a very healthy drink which means you know how to control your impulses. Just remember, you don't want to be going to job interviews in clothes you can barely fasten. And all the hard work you'll undo and have to start over again. That would suck!!!

I wish you all the luck in the world. But think of this as your "you" time.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #13  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Tea, you have received some really good advice and I'll just say, "I agree with them!"
I am so impressed with your weight loss numbers! You should be very proud of that! While this time is stressful for you, I think that adding back weight would make it just that much more stressful. Hang in there and post often!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #14  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Hey Tea,
I am so sorry to hear about your layoff. But, chin up, girl! You have accomplished so much already - don't let this bring you down.
As far as any advice goes - I don't have anything that has not been said already, but remember - stay on track because slimmer people may have a better chance of getting a job (we had a thread on this a while ago .... perhaps that was before you joined the 3FC).
Good luck, I am sure this is only a temporary situation - keep working out!!!!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #15  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Hang in there. This is going to sound terrible, and it is sad that the world works this way, but..... You can not afford to start binging and gaining your weight back. As pitiful as it is, overweight people are discriminated against, and in today's job market, fat is NOT were it's at. If anything, this has to motivate you to keep going and to look the best you can possibly look...because (even though it sucks) that's the way corporate America works. It's not right, but sadly it's true.

Play the game!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-03-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote