3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   planning a way of eating BIG DECISION TIME (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/163709-planning-way-eating-big-decision-time.html)

fatmad 02-05-2009 09:28 AM

planning a way of eating BIG DECISION TIME

So far I have lost about 13 pounds over 3 months.
I have virtually stopped bingeing, ( have had 3 minor binges in this time) and reduced evening snacking.
I have mostly cut out desserts except the occasional skinny cow treat, or equivalent. (about 2 times per week)
I now eat much smaller portions.
I kept a food diary for a bit, and did it for two days again recently, found my calories to be about 2000.
I am exercising for at least 30 minutes 3-4 times a week.
SO, now I think I am ready for the next step, intentional weight loss.
I know there is no real consensus about diets, but I am interested in peoples' experience with different diet types, and recommendations about these. (what you liked, what you didn't like, what was hard about following it, what made it easier for you?)
If it was a program you paid for, can you tell me approximate prices? both the upfront and ongoing price?
TIA

Jen415 02-05-2009 09:39 AM

1. It's got to be something you can stick to and incorporate into your life.

2. It's got to include food that you love.

My suggestion: Calorie counting. Totally free and easy if you use a site like sparkpeople.com or Fitday or The Daily Plate. (I use sparkpeople--it recommends calorie level based on your current weight and activity.)

Good luck!

CruiseCAT 02-05-2009 09:50 AM

What you have been doing with a reduction in calories would give you additional weight loss. Burning/using 3500 calories over what your body needs to maintain equals one pound of weight loss. Here is a link to a calculator to determine what you need:

http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...tion_guide.htm

For me I am eating around 1500 calories per day and working out 5-7 days per week. I am a protein type so I do about 35% of my calories from good carbs, 30% fat, and 35% protein. Nothing is off limits as long as I have calories in the budget. Some days my percentages are off but I'm OK with that. I am consistently losing 1 - 3 lbs per week.

Here is a link to find out your "type": http://www.natpro.net/metabolic-typing.html

None of this is an exact science and each person is different. I found the two above calculators to be a good starting point.

Hope this helps, keep us posted.

CruiseCAT 02-05-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen415 (Post 2596585)

My suggestion: Calorie counting. Totally free and easy if you use a site like sparkpeople.com or Fitday or The Daily Plate. (I use sparkpeople--it recommends calorie level based on your current weight and activity.)

Good luck!

I also highly recommend using a calorie counting site. I am currently using FitDay; because I have for years. I also like The Daily Plate, I use it to find foods that are not in FitDay.

Shannon in ATL 02-05-2009 10:30 AM

I used calorie counting + exercise -I logged every bite of everything I ate every day. I started out with my own spread sheet for a few months, transitioned to The Daily Plate. Love it. The only out of pocket cost was the $50 I paid for an Oxo food scale, plus frozen fruit & protein powder I started buying to make smoothies in the morning. As I ate less other times, the food expenses balanced out. :)

I ate 1300-1400 calories per day at the beginning, moved down to the 1200-1300 I thought I was eating at the beginning once I got a food scale. (eyeball measurements with cups and spoons just didn't work for me! :o) After losing for a little while I added in the exercise and went up to 1300-1400 per day.

I lost pretty fast - in looking back at it, I could have eaten a little more during the weight loss period and still lost weight. So, I would say if you try lowering your calories you will likely continue to lose, just don't go all the way down to 1200 if you don't have to! 1200 was hard! :)

corazonas 02-05-2009 10:33 AM

I third calorie counting! **(edit: or 4th or 5th or whatever haha)

I have tried EVERYYYY diet. south beach, atkins, alli slim quick, starving, liquids, veggie only, binge/purge... the list goes on and on. what i have come to realize? diets REALLY don't work. any time i was "on" a diet i would eventually come "off" the diet. i don't need to buy a certain brand of food to be healthy, don't need to take a pill, don't need to starve myself, etc.

in my opinion calorie counting is the only lifestyle- not diet. it's the only thing i can stick with because it's the only thing that doesnt restrict me from anything. i just live now, i don't diet. so i strongly recommend it! after a while you won't even need to count, you'll just know..

JulieJ08 02-05-2009 01:00 PM

The most important aspect for me was focusing on health. That gave me a positive motivator, not just a feeling of restriction. Instead of just NOT eating fast food, I was CHOOSING veggies. Also, cutting out daily sweets made a huge difference for me. My palate really changed.

fatmad 02-05-2009 06:03 PM

This is most helpful everyone. Just what I am looking for. Anyone else with opinions? I'd like to hear from anyone who uses or used weight watchers too. the more the merrier

cheriecritz 02-05-2009 10:32 PM

Hi, lost 25 lbs. last year by being more active, and eating whole foods in their natural form, ex. egg for breakfast, salad with tuna for lunch, hummus with veggies for a snack, grilled chicken, sliced avacado, and another salad for dinner. The more veggies and whole foods I could get, the better. I also avoided sugar at all cost. I lost the weight SUPER EASILY...