Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #1  

Default Letting go of of the scale - or changing my goal weight

I've tried to focus on a goal range rather than a hard number, but have had to up the range once, and as I was saying in another post, may need to adjust it again. The links below made me change mine. They're for body fat percentage, and frame size. I found out that as someone right on the edge between small and medium framed, my first goal might be too low. I'd gotten kind of attached to the first number, but chose a new weight. Then I found the fat percentage charts. If it's reasonably accurate, the new goal wouldn't be good either. So now, I'm going to play it by ear for awhile, because I know it's in my nature to get attached to the numbers. I'm still slightly disappointed at times, that I'll never see that nice round 100 lbs on the scale, even though I know that while it might be fine for some people my height, it won't be good for me.

It's totally common sense not to just rely on the scale and to take things like measurements and fitness into account, and to set fluid goals. I've seen you all say it numerous times, but I'm finally doing it. I'm also reminding myself not to get too attached to what the info in the links say either. They are all just tools that might not apply 100% to everyone, and my body, health and fitness level are my best guide. It's also obvious but sometimes I need a reminder that my age, bone density, muscle mass, hormones etc. are all going to shape my journey, and I shouldn't expect to be a textbook case.

This is all kind of stream of consciousness, and I don't know if it makes sense (and sorry for the length ), but it was like a mini wake up call for me, and I felt compelled to share. Also, I wasn't sure where this went, so sorry if this isn't the place for it.

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/met.htm
http://www.bblex.de/en/calc/navy.php
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm
frieden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 262/262/145

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for sharing, frieden!
Just keep in mind that the first link originated from an insurance company and you don't know what methodology they used to come up with them. Averages may or may not work well for you and can be inherently flawed. You've got to see what weight works best for your overall fitness and call that your ideal. But, I'll be the first on to admit that I get sucked into them too! It's such a convenient way to set goals.

Good luck with your goals!
Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for sharing.

Go by how you look and feel I always say.

Though I am 5'3" my goal weight is 140 because when I was in high school i was 150 lbs and was pretty happy with my figure (though a bit curvy) so I figure another ten pounds and I'll be the perfect weight for myself Though the BMI will say I'm at the end of the healthy range.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I say also go by how you look and feel. I want to get down to 120. I was pretty happy at 134 but still had plenty of fat around my midsection. So, i think losing another 10-15 pounds would cause my body to be pretty trim. But, just do what feels good...physically and mentally. Don't let anyone tell you how much you SHOULD weigh. Only you can determine that.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote