Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #31  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Sandy -

A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh, well, a pound. The pound of muscle takes up less space (thus, is denser), but they WEIGH the same.

I guess an accurate way of putting it is, if you have 1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat, the lb of muscle will take up less space than the lb of fat...but that's just another way of talking about density. If you took the same volume of fat and muscle (say, 1 cubic foot of each), the muscle WOULD weigh more, but only because it is more dense.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #32  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Just checked out this thread now.

When you lose pounds (weight), THAT'S why you're losing inches. If it's weight you're looking to lose, losing inches alone is really not sufficient.

In all honesty I cringe and hold myself back for the most part when I hear things like "the scales not budging, I'm gaining muscle, losing inches theory" and the like. Cringe. No one (most) is losing inches so quickly WITHOUT losing pounds.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #33  
Terminating Cellulite

S/C/G: 211.5 / See Ticker / 150 140

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Sandy -

A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh, well, a pound. The pound of muscle takes up less space (thus, is denser), but they WEIGH the same.

I guess an accurate way of putting it is, if you have 1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat, the lb of muscle will take up less space than the lb of fat...but that's just another way of talking about density. If you took the same volume of fat and muscle (say, 1 cubic foot of each), the muscle WOULD weigh more, but only because it is more dense.
Thank you for wording that so it is easy to understand.
Now Those are words of motivation!

Maybe Jillian ought to borrow you as her translator! ;-)

The Team member was spewing excuses and Jillian knew she had to step on that attitude. There are no excuses. Those contestants have an amazing opportunity. Even if their partner was eliminated they would still stand a chance to win some cash at the grand finale if they really put in the work.

That said, she only had one week at the ranch before going home.
She needs more education about food - just like the Orange Team does.

I really like that she called the gal out on her excuses. Especially since the scale had been stalling for me at that time as well. I felt like I was putting in the work and eating right - but this made me step it up a notch and lo and behold, the scale is now moving again!

This show really keeps me motivated each Tuesday!
Sarah C0nn0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #34  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

No problem FB- really okay it was disgusting- no female should have wrestler neck, I stopped doing those exercises and it's not as huge as before (thank goodness).

I won't lie I have given excuses but deep down I know I wasn't trying hard enough. I think now more than ever I want to lose the weight and I'm like NO MORE excuses!

Like right now my friend who is 300+ lbs, she's happy with my weight loss- but she asks me for advice and when I give it to her- all I get is excuses "oh well I couldn't do that BECAUSE..."

Like yesterday she asked me what I normally drink, I said mostly water, sometimes some milk, and rarely some juice. She said "oh well I can't do that because I don't like water, and if I have milk it has to have chocolate in it." I am thankful my mom never really bought sugary drinks for us to drink at home- maybe soda with pizza every now and then- but that was it. Oh and milk but I never really liked milk.

I had to hold my tongue when she told me sje found out in 6 months she went from 250 lbs to over 300 lbs (this is according to her doctor) and she tells me she doesn't understand how that's possible when she "never" eats. I was like you drink a 6pack of soda a day! that's 660 calories in just DRINKS!

Okay done with my rant- I'm just so frustrated with her cuz she's a smart and beautiful person- but she's slowly killing herself with all the junk she eats!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #35  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Out of curiosity, what week was this? Because I decided to watch BL online and the only week they had was week 4. And I didn't see where she said anything like that. Maybe its in week 5?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 246/190/150

Height: 5'7"

I agree with wildthing said, and also that she should have spent at least 1 of those hours she spent at the gym working out meal plans and focusing on eating right.

And if she really was working really hard for those 4-5 hours she still would have lost a bit more then 2lbs. I think anyway.
Icandoit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #37  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Anyone watch last night's? Ug that show always gets me teary eyed and my hubby looked over at me and was like "whats wrong with you?!" lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #38  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I have too much testosterone in my blood for a female, and I actually gain muscle faster than regular woman- I worked out with a trainer 9 months and at the end of it I started to get what I call "wrestler neck" omg it was so gross! I was like EW my neck muscles are starting to stick out!

Wrestler neck is where just behind below your neck the muscles start to bulk up: http://www.thecitizen.com/~citizen0/...hrisbenoit.jpg

That's what I call it anyways lol.
My son's school put on a variey show last week. One boy's mother was his "lovely assistant" for his magic act. She was wearing a black shiny and shortie strapless dress for the act. She was clearly in very good shape and I noted her muscles, biceps, triceps, delts, traps and now that you mention it-- she did have "wrestler's neck."

It didn't look really bad,, just buff. And y'know she loved wearing that on stage.

Last edited by kittycat40; 02-11-2009 at 02:29 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #39  

Height: 5ft6'

I think far too many people use the old excuse "I didn't lose weight but that is just because I gained muscle" or " I didn't lose weight but I must have lost inches" as way of excusing their lack of effort. I've heard it lots. I think Jillian was just expressing her frustration from that and quite frankly told it like it was. She didn't do the work and it was obvious!
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote