Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Embarrassing question (re: pooing)

Okay, I was off the diet bandwagon for a bit, but am back as of Jan 1st. I haven't lost a bit of weight yet...but am afraid that part of that might be because I have barely pooed!

On my "standard" non-healthy diet, I have 1-2 poos per day, depending on what I eat.

Since Jan 1, between 600-800 of my calories each day have come from fruits & veggies - mostly fresh but some frozen. I don't peel things like zucchini, eggplant, etc. so should be retaining most of the fibre. I have also consumed a minimum of 4 litres of liquid each day, mostly water but also some nonsweetened herbal teas.

I don't *feel* overly "blocked" or anything...but it's been 10 days of a fibre-rich, very hydrated diet, and all I have had are two of the tiniest poos ever (and no weight loss)!

Help?
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Hmmmm, ten days with only two bowel movements...has this happened to you before? Are you prone to constipation? Did this happen the last time you started eating healthy?

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #3  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

Default I'm not a doctor, but my thoughts are...

I'm certainly not a doctor, but it might just be that your body is adjusting to the change in your diet. If it were me, I would not be concerned as long as I was still having at least one poo every few days. It's only been 10 days, and everyone's body adjusts differently to a change in diet. But, again, I'm not a doctor.

It sounds like your diet has decreased considerably in fat/sweets and increased considerably in fiber...for me, I've noticed that the more fats/sweets I eat, the more frequently I have to poo. When I am eating my most healthiest diet, I go maybe once a day or even every other day.

I'd continue to monitor the frequency, as well as how you feel physically. If you start feeling sick, bloated, or "blocked" or if your frequency decreases any more, definitely check in with a healthcare provider just to make sure everything is ok.

Also, our bodies naturally go through changes over time...and other factors, including stress, fatigue, and overall health, can affect things like your digestive cycles. My digestive system is particularly sensitive to seemingly everything in the world, so I am used to all sorts of odd things going on with that. If this is highly unusual for you when you are eating healthy, then maybe it is worth checking out. That's my (non-doctor) two cents!

P.S. Kudos to you for eating so healthy!

Last edited by leela0730; 01-09-2009 at 06:58 PM.
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

my body is just about the same it i do it once every 2 days
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #5  
Workin' It

I'm the same way - I sometimes go several days without one, then a small one, then none for a few days, then a really big one... etc. I often only have a big movement once every ten-fourteen days, with the little ones filling in the gaps every couple of days in between.

Probably more than I have ever told anyone about my poo schedule.

ETA: this only intensified once I started eating healthier, also. In my previous bad diet it was a little more frequent, but still not every day. Been on this newer pattern for almost a year now with no ill effects.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 01-09-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

It may be your body adjusting to the new diet, but it also may be because you are eating less. If you have fewer calories going in then before that would explain, at least, some of it. It's also possible, because you're eating higher quality foods, that you're body is using more of what you are putting into it (thus, reducing what comes out.)

If you don't feel constipated or terribly bloated, I wouldn't worry about it.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #7  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

What I loved about eating good is that I was regular. I could go to the bathroom at a specific time every day and go poo with ease. BUT it took 2 weeks to a month for that poo schedule to happen.

Also, are you exercising? Exercising sometimes helps make one have a bowel movement.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Are you getting enough healthy fats? I find that I get stopped up if I don't get enough fat.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I'd say you are full of $h*t! LOL, sorry I couldn't resist!

Talk to your Doctor about possibly taking a mild laxative, or stool softener to get things running smoothly again.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Try adding a few nuts...they always make me go...
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I am working out every day for at least 30 minutes, usually a bit more.

Based on what you guys have said, it sounds like the problem may be that I'm not getting nearly as much fat as I was - maybe I'll try eating an avocado or something & see if that moves things along!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #12  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I would agree, avacado, a salmon oil pill a day, etc. What about insoluable fibre, like oat fibre, bran etc? much in the way of that? If not, metamucil, or a sugar free alternative to that may be helpful, again with lots of fluids. This is good if you are on a low carb diet especially. Benefibre is inulin, and can be added easily, even to drinks.
The fluids and exercise are also part of the equation, and you certainly sound appropriate there.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #13  

Oranges, a friend once told me for constipation.

Don't think there's any real basis for that but she swears by it, something her granny said? Although possibly its psychosomatic.

I have IBS and oh, the bowel stories I could tell - but won't, obviously. I tend to be constipated for about 3-4 days, then uh..go loads. Repeat.

Sometimes drinking plenty of hot drinks (relaxes inner muscles?! who knows, but sometimes it works for me) and lots of exercise helps, especially walking.
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #14  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

My DH's doctor gave him this (from the Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre):

Recipe for a natural laxative:

3/4 cup prune juice
1/2 cup dates
1/2 cup figs
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup pitted prunes

Put ingredients in heavy saucepan, cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Using a blender or a food processor, chop mixture until a smooth paste is formed. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate. Use 1 to 2 tablespoons daily as a spread.

Maybe this will help
Newshinyme is offline   Reply With Quote