Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Skinny people on diet commercials

Has this driven anyone else crazy lately? There are a bunch of gum commercials that are advertising the fact that they help you fight snack cravings, and all the women who are supposedly "dieting" are very thin.
There's also the yoplait yogurt commercials, although the women aren't as sickly thin, they definately have no weight to lose.

I understand the need to lose the last 5 or 10, but these commercials are really giving people the idea that women should always be on a diet, even when they're small.

Anyone else seen any commercials like that?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #2  
FB

Well, from an advertising standpoint maybe they're showing the thinner women as 'proof' that whatever they're selling works.

I don't watch much television, if I do it's DVR'd, so I'm pretty clueless about commercials - haven't seen what you're talking about for myself.

Last edited by FB; 01-08-2009 at 08:57 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #3  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

I've seen the Yoplait ones... my fave is the one Richard Simmons is in... LOL
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #4  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

It is a bit bothersome.
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Yes, and I HATE those commercials They help promote body dysmorphia in women. Our society already teaches us (look at the celebrities! It's perfectly normal in Hollywood to be, say, 5'7" and 105 lbs) that we're never thin enough and commercials like that just make it even worse.

Then, some people buy into this Hollywood stereotype and decide that those who happen to be a healthy weight are either not hot or too fat.

When really skinny people are truly ON diets, I want to slap 'em upside the head and THEN tell them they are victims of our demented media. My sister's best friend has this annoying 95 pound roommate (she's only a little shorter than me, too, so I'm guessing 5'5" 5'6" ish?!?!?!) who is constantly harping about how she's fat. I said, "If you truly think that, you're an idiot. If YOU are fat, *I* might as well be about to die of a coronary. Stop fishing for compliments. "
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

What I hate is the Nutrisystem commericals where the woman says "I love to prance around in my bikini".

and then they show people who look like they've lost a total of about 5 lb, with their skin all tight and no stretch marks.
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have noticed that Curves commercials feature more realistic looking women then the professional body builder types.

I also notice the plus sized models in catalogs look like they are around a size 10--looking fit and healthy.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel View Post
What I hate is the Nutrisystem commericals where the woman says "I love to prance around in my bikini".

and then they show people who look like they've lost a total of about 5 lb, with their skin all tight and no stretch marks.
yeah WTF, I've always wondered about those! How DO these people have supertight skin and no stretch marks? Especially when they claim to have lost 50+ pounds?! Video editing? (It's not that hard, trust me)
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel View Post

That's hysterical! I can't believe how corny that commercial is.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's simple marketing, if they show stick thin models, then the commercial not only implies "you too can look this way,by using our product" but also also "everyone who does not look this way NEEDS our product."

I suppose that if they show only fat models, they risk anyone smaller than their smallest model thinking they're not fat enough to need the product. Then there are the products that seem to be trying to use reverse psychology in saying that "only people seriously wanting to lose 20 or more lbs" should buy their product (knowing fully well that the majority of folks wanting to lose weight do have more than 20 lbs to lose, and that a good number who don't would still like to.)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #11  
Starting OVER!

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
That's hysterical! I can't believe how corny that commercial is.
ooh what about that one where she catches a football and goes "how many women do you know that can do that?"

my answer = "Um.. Loads actually." lolz
blackbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

It's really just marketing. As kaplods said.

Lowest common denominator. Market to anyone who wants to look exactly like the bikini model.

Doesn't make it less annoying for all of us I'm sure, but that's the way it is.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #13  
My name is Michelle

S/C/G: 200/190/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
It's simple marketing, if they show stick thin models, then the commercial not only implies "you too can look this way,by using our product" but also also "everyone who does not look this way NEEDS our product."
Then they always put the disclaimer (in the smallest font possible) at the very bottom of said ad that reads:

Quote:
Results not typical

Gee... ya think?

(Ok- the font size button here doesn't work.. but you know what I mean)
TheMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Haha yeah those commercials crack me up. Like the one where the woman is talking on the phone and she is like "oh yeah my new diet is working. I've already lost like 5 pounds. Oh yeah Key Lime Pie, Boston Cream Pie..." and her stupid husband is looking for all these "goodies" in the fridge, but he just keeps pushing around the yogurt like a moron. She is rather thin as well and really I ate that yogurt way back when and gained weight...

Or the Bally Fitness commercials. "Hey you can go GLAM with us! A new aerobic workout for you! You can loose up to blah blah pounds!" like every girl in the commercial is paper thin and is wearing slutty makeup. They have these balls and they lift them up and go "WOOO." I just want to smack them and tell them "NO!" lol

Key message here. You can eat crap that is "healthy" and do little activity and lose weight and then you can go "glam" and look like a hottie in less time than it takes to hold up a ball and go WOOO. That is what these commercials say to me lol. Completely pointless!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbutterfly View Post
ooh what about that one where she catches a football and goes "how many women do you know that can do that?"
is that for Nutrisystem too?

I can't stop laughing at this thought of it.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote