Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #1  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

Default stress and ice cream...not a good combo

i am stressed and feel like i want some ice cream. i love ice cream and it always makes me feel better. i won't have any though. i'm gonna go to bed instead. i have been trying hard and have not lost any weight the last few days. i thought beans were a good protein but i guess not cuz i havent lost anything.
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey onestar!

How are you tracking your food intake? Do you keep a journal?

You're right--diving into the ice cream may make you feel better temporarily, but as a long term strategy, well, let's just say that I was "wearing" a lot of ice cream for a long time...

Perhaps there is a healthier snack you could come up with, one that wouldn't put you off track?

Good luck,
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestar View Post
i am stressed and feel like i want some ice cream. i love ice cream and it always makes me feel better. i won't have any though. i'm gonna go to bed instead.
Good for you! This brings to mind the phrase "HALT". Are you Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired? If you're truly hungry, it's good to have something eat. But if you think about it, and you're really feeling Angry, Lonely or Tired, then eating won't solve the problem. Perhaps a good night's rest will help relieve some stress and help you face tomorrow better

Quote:
i have been trying hard and have not lost any weight the last few days. i thought beans were a good protein but i guess not cuz i havent lost anything.
Many people weigh themselves only once a week, because looking at the number on the scale each day can be a bit misleading. The number may fluctuate up and down a little, but have a overall downward trend. This shows itself over time. So don't stress it each day.

Beans ARE a good source of protein, and fiber! But, we have to be realistic. They are high in calories, too. (If we overeat them.) A portion of beans will do ya. We can gain/maintain if we overeat anything. Including healthy foods like beans.

If you're feeling very frustrated, you may want to post a daily menu/activity plan for your fellow 3FCers and see if we have any suggestions. Or, if you know you're doing it right, then give it a good solid week to see if anything changes.

Last edited by Lovely; 01-03-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #4  
yes girl

[/QUOTE][QUOTE=Faerie;2525147]Good for you! This brings to mind the phrase "HALT". Are you Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired? If you're truly hungry, it's good to have something eat. But if you think about it, and you're really feeling Angry, Lonely or Tired, then eating won't solve the problem. Perhaps a good night's rest will help relieve some stress and help you face tomorrow better

Many people weigh themselves only once a week, because looking at the number on the scale each day can be a bit misleading. The number may fluctuate up and down a little, but have a overall downward trend. This shows itself over time. So don't stress it each day.

Beans ARE a good source of protein, and fiber! But, we have to be realistic. They are high in calories, too. (If we overeat them.) A portion of beans will do ya. We can gain/maintain if we overeat anything. Including healthy foods like beans.

Quote:
If you're feeling very frustrated, you may want to post a daily menu/activity plan for your fellow 3FCers and see if we have any suggestions. Or, if you know you're doing it right, then give it a good solid week to see if anything changes.
today i had 2 pieces of honey wheat toast with a little light butter, 8oz 1% milk, reg. apple, large bowl of salad, leftovers from the other night (hamburger meat and noodles and veggies w/ tomato sauce), green beans, and 2 baked chicken breast. 3 tall glasses of water.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #5  
yes girl

sorry...i am trying to figure out how to quote within a message
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
sorry...i am trying to figure out how to quote within a message
Typing [ QUOTE ] Insert what you want quoted here [ /QUOTE ] without any spaces inside the [] brackets will do it.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #7  
yes girl

thanx faerie.... so how did my food intake for today sound?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
today i had 2 pieces of honey wheat toast with a little light butter, 8oz 1% milk, reg. apple, large bowl of salad, leftovers from the other night (hamburger meat and noodles and veggies w/ tomato sauce), green beans, and 2 baked chicken breast. 3 tall glasses of water.
3 tall glasses of water is a good start.

Are you following a specific plan? Like calorie counting?

Remember that measuring still matters. When you say a little light butter. How much was that little bit? Was it a teaspoon worth? When it comes to tracking, especially in the beginning, I found it helpful to be painstakingly detailed. Knowing EXACTLY what and how much was necessary.

Large Bowl of Salad... any dressing? any chopped fruit or meat with this salad?

The hamburger meat, what percentage was it? 80/20? 93/7?

Was there any oil with those noodles? Any topping on that baked chicken?

I'm just asking because these details can add up (and quickly).
Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #9  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Glad you found us as an outlet!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
thanx faerie.... so how did my food intake for today sound?
Overall, what you chose to eat seems pretty balanced.

Were it my day, I'd probably add in an extra piece of fruit or two (like a pear, or orange) and perhaps remove an extra breast of chicken. I'm not sure if any of those foods were snacks. But, if you aren't snacking, I'd maybe suggest munching on some baby carrots or something between meals.

Do you like egg whites or light yogurts? If you're concerned about protein, these can be decent sources.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #11  
yes girl

the apple was a snack. i'm not following a specific plan. i am trying to make healthier choices and watch for fat. i am starting to read nutrition labels, and have been exercizing regularly. i have exercised 9 of the 13 days that i have been doing this. i think i am doing fairly well. i think the important thing is that i am trying even when i don't feel like it. i agree about the extra chicken breast but i was still hungry and wasnt sure what to do. i don't want to feel hungry but i dont want to feel extra full either. thanks for the tips. i do have a thing with protein.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
the apple was a snack. i'm not following a specific plan. i am trying to make healthier choices and watch for fat. i am starting to read nutrition labels, and have been exercizing regularly. i have exercised 9 of the 13 days that i have been doing this. i think i am doing fairly well. i think the important thing is that i am trying even when i don't feel like it. i agree about the extra chicken breast but i was still hungry and wasnt sure what to do. i don't want to feel hungry but i dont want to feel extra full either. thanks for the tips. i do have a thing with protein.
These are great new habits you're building Congrats on the exercising! That's tough to work in for so many of us.

If a few weeks go by, and you're still eating healthfully but not losing, I'd suggest tracking the number of calories you eat. It may help you notice patterns or see where certain foods might be better than others.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #13  
yes girl

thanks for all the info. you have been a great help to me!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #14  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I think you are doing really well! Building a habit of exercising is so important!! You've been at this 2 weeks and you are down 2 pounds. If the scale is driving you nuts you might want to only weigh once a week. Either that or be prepared for fluctuations.

Like Faerie said - tracking what you eat might be really helpful. It's also really good for planning so you aren't trying to figure out what to eat at the end of the day. Reading labels is also a great thing to make a habit of - isn't it amazing what in some of that stuff?
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote