Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #1  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

Default Could I Have Hypothyroidism?

I recently read an article about hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and am starting to wonder whether this is something I could suffer from. I eat, on average, 1,200 - 1,500 calories and usually exercise around an hour a day, although I have gone through periods where I exercised more than this. I am really quite fit (despite not being able to run, lol!) and do hillwalking, swimming, boxing, etc. but I stay around the 200-220lb mark, and find it quite hard to lose weight. I also have really bad skin (I had bad acne in my teens, and still struggle a bit with it) and have a history of depression. Does this sound like either hypothyroidism, or maybe even PCOS? I'd love to hear your opinions.
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

What intensity are you working out at? Have you considered (if it is an option for you) purchasing a heart rate monitor watch? Also, with a history of depression, are you on medications for that? Birth control? Acne medication?

Those could all contribute, but either way, it doesn't hurt to get checked for your thyroid. My best friend is the exact same size as you, has a diagnosed thyroid problem, and being aware of it has helped her make better decisions.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

It could be hypothyroid. When in doubt, check it out A thyroid test will give you peace of mind, if nothing else.

While saying that, I had the same symptoms you did: initially, it was VERY tough for me to lose weight. I ate 1,200-1,500 calories a day, exercised like a fiend, was not in bad shape considering my size, struggled a lot with acne as a teen (I only break out during the time of month now, though) and therefore am still self conscious about my skin, and have been depressed on and off since I was 14. I am much better now, though - since my depression is primarily situational (I believe I have a slight chemical imbalance, but it is controlled without medication), I am able to fight it by focusing my energy on positive things and moving towards achieving goals that are important to me.

I've been tested for hypothyroid. Funnily enough, I've been tested for hyperthyroid, too (post weight loss, long story) - yes, I've had the TSH test done twice My thyroid is perfectly normal.

Perhaps you just need to switch up your exercise regime (try something new, push yourself harder, go for longer, etc) or temporarily increase your calories for a few days.

PCOS could also be a possibility. That or insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is a very common problem for those who are overweight and obese, ironically makes it even harder to lose weight, and luckily goes away for most people once they *do* lose weight.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 01-06-2009 at 01:02 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #4  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

I think it's a possibility that you'd have to consider, but the only way to tell for sure is to talk to your doctor and get your thyroid hormones checked. If you have low thyroid hormones then you'd get replacement hormones and you'll feel better really soon. Good luck!
Newshinyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Another consideration is: are your 1200-1500 calories QUALITY calories? A calorie is a calorie, but your body needs nutrients to function properly.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Maybe, maybe not! Consult your doctor and have some tests. Consider a referral to an endocrinologist as well--sometimes the initial screening looks "normal."

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote