Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #1  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Wink Calorie Breakdown Question

I've noticed a trend on my food diary (thedailyplate), & I'm not sure that it's good.. Basically I've been surveying that the past week or two since I started counting calories, around 40% goes to carbs, 40% goes to fat, & 20% goes to protein. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is really really bad, isn't it? If so, what can I do to correct it? What foods contain more proteins than fat? Should I be consuming less carbs per day? Or is 40% a decent percentage?

Please help, I could really use some info on this..
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Different percentages of carbs/fat/protein (or macronutrients) work for different people. I personally feel best (more energy, less hunger, etc) at levels of about 45% carb, 30% protein, and 25% fat, but different things work for different people. There isn't so much a good/bad way to do it...just different ways for all of us.

If you're satisfied, enjoying your food, hitting nutrition targets, and eating whole foods, and your weight loss isn't stalled, I wouldn't worry so much. If you find that you're not satisfied or your loss stalls, you can always adjust.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Generally it's recommended that you get no more than 30% of calories from fat. Protein and carb percentages are more personal, depending on how your body processes food. A lot of people do well on 45/30/25 carb/fat/protein. You might just need to work on getting the fat calories down by adding more protein.

I'd need more detail on what you are eating to be able to make very many suggestions on what you might need to change.

As for good sources of lean protein...chicken breast, fish, lowfat cottage cheese are a few examples.

Editted to add that the reason for the 30% from fat is that you don't get much food for your calories from fat, so the larger the percentage from fat the bigger the chance you'll be hungry.

Last edited by chick_in_the_hat; 12-29-2008 at 06:10 PM.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Really bad is all subjective. I'd say most people try for less fat and more protein than that ... but you need to find what works for you.

I try for 40% carb / 35% protein / 25% fat most days and tend to get close to that range.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm a 40/30/30 girl -- works fine for me. Everyone is different though. My mom HAS to have more protein than that or she is starving constantly on a weight loss program. She shoots for closer to 40% protein and less carbs.

I would say up your protein if you can.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote