Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default walking in snow = fluff calories?

Hi y'all--

Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays to everyone first!

I've been feeling guilty for the last three days in not being able to walk on my treadmill. I've had to run errands walking outside in the snow & slush for family members (i.e. groceries, prescriptions, etc) who are unable to do so themselves due to the horrid snow conditions in the Northwest.

All of this in addition to my standing-on-my-feet all day job. Doing just my job and those errands for relatives of mine stuck in this snowy weather just leaves me drained by the time I get home late at night with no energy to do an aerobic workout (and not counting the evening chores I gotta do around the house each night since my immediate family has pets).

My arms (and now my thigh) muscles are just about feeling ripped out of their sockets from carrying (manually) heavy groceries for blocks up to over half a mile, several times a day the last three days (including today).

I haven't broken a sweat or feel its really aerobic at all when I do that.

Is this still a good kind of exercise that may help me drop a pound on the days I haven't gone on the treadmill? Or should I just chalk it up to some good old fashion muscle workouts?
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Walking in snow can be hard...depends how hard you push. But here is the thing

Does it matter if we convince you that it was cardio or strength training or just stability or whatever? The past is past. Let go of the guilt. If it was "enough" to help you lose, it was, if it wasnt, it's too late to worry about it

MTA: you must live near me...it has SUCKED

Last edited by ennay; 12-25-2008 at 05:46 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #3  
Queen of the World

S/C/G: 256/256/190

Height: 5 feet 8 inches

I believe that just walking in snow boots on clear streets adds calories burned, because the dang things are so heavy. I love walking in the snow for a workout. It really works my glutes and I can get to breathing pretty hard the higher I have to step. I hate taking my dog though. He practically yanks me off my feet when it's dry. When it's icy I have no hope of staying upright. Christmas Eve he and I took a two mile walk in the snow. It took us almost an hour and we were both exhausted when we got home. Needless to say he was leashless for the walk.
Writermom46 is offline   Reply With Quote