Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #1  

Default New scale vs Old scale...which one is right?

So I've had the same digital scale for about 4 years now. It's made by "GO! Fitness" and I bought it at walmart. It's sort of neat in that it's suppose to calculate your body fat percentage at the same time as it weighs you...the first time you use it, it asks you your gender, height and it recorded the first weight I weighed in at. Sounds cool, right? But it annoyed me because it seemed very inconsistant. You could weigh yourself 3 times in a couple of minutes and get a different weight each time, sometimes as much as a 2 lb difference. Also, it wasn't a flat surface, but rather weighed you with raised bumps you stepped on...I worried about lining myself up correctly on it so it'd be accurate...it seemed like it could be an issue. Finally, the bodyfat percentage calculator has never worked right...I've lost 40 lbs since I bought that scale and it has never changed my reading from 29-30ish...it says around that number each and every time I use it(twice daily).

So I was in Target today...last minute shopping, and see a new digital scale on an end cap--made by Taylor. It seems pretty simple--just does weight, and it says it's suppose to be accurate up to 0.2 of a lb and it has a flat surface to weigh on so I buy it. I get it home and weigh myself and this scale says 169.2. I weigh myself 3 times and get the exact same weight each time...even after positioning myself a little different each time. Then I weigh myself on the old scale, sitting right beside it and get 171.6. I would very much like the new scale to be right... has anyone heard of this company(Taylor)? The fact that it was the same every time is a good sign, right?
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

It's two pounds -- that is the equivalent of four glasses of water. All scales are different, usually by a pound or two. That is just the way it is. The key is to consistently weight yourself on the same scale, wearing the same thing, at the same time of day, as you lose weight. If your old scale doesn't seem to be very consistent, then by all means go with the weight on the new scale...and now just use the new one to measure your loss. It is really easy during weight loss the get lost in the "little things", but in this case, really, it is not worth worrying yourself about this. Get rid of the old scale, and from now on the new one is your weight. Woohoo 160's!!!!
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Sign my name to the above...scales all vary a bit. This one is the "new" one, and its as accurate as the old one.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yup. Me three. There is no "right" weight. There's just a consistent weight. Pick a scale and stick with it (obviously if your old one is broken, then go with the new one! ).

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Yep,

I'm in a research study and they are insistent that the same scale is used every time to avoid variations. I know my scale at home is a little off (actually a little light, so I shouldn't complain.) The study nurses told me that the real significant number is the relative number...enjoy the new scale!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have a Taylor scale. When you step on it , it shows the last weight it showed for you and in a second or less goes to the current weight, It is designed that way.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

the scale i have actually weighs 1 pound less than a normal one i think.. but it doesn't really matter as long as it keeps going down lol
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

i just keep a 15 pound dumbell next to my scale and weigh it every so often. it always weighs in at 15.5 so i never have to worry if its accurate.
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote