normal to feel uncomfortable sitting on your bottom?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi--

This is kinda a strange question.

I've been seriously obese for half my lifetime (read: going on 15-16 yrs) and it's only today at work, that I noticed that it feels uncomfortable sitting on my *ahem* bottom.

I've lost over 100 lbs so far with another 60-70 lbs to go. Does this feel normal, having less of your bottom fat to cushion you when sitting down as you lose weight? I've been overweight for so long, this is rather strange to me!

Does one just gets used to feeling different sitting down as one becomes thinner?

~ tea
  • I don't know from personal experience yet, but I've heard that yep it's common when you lose lots of weight, as well as the back of chairs. One of the downsides, guess it's time to get a cushion!
  • After 20 lbs lost I noticed the same thing. Its the loss of the cushion in the form of but fat. Now when I sit I feel my bones more.
  • Yep, normal! Suddenly chair cushions make a lot of sense.

It does get a little better as time goes on.

Jay
  • I also notice it when I lie on my side on the floor. Hipbones!
  • LOL I just asked this same question a few weeks ago! I was shocked to actually feel my tailbone. As uncomfortable as it is in some chairs, I'm elated. And also a little embarrased that I once weighed so much that something that is typical for most people wasn't for me. Congrats!
  • im the same... lol. worth it tho
  • LOL, not so much with sitting, but I have a much harder time finding my balance when doing Boat Pose during yoga. It reminds me of being a teenager and trying to balance salt shakers on edge.
  • I notice it more lying on the floor -- either on my side or especially my hipbones when I lie on my stomach. I also have dinged my vertebrae on the back of chairs...especially ladderback chairs. It feels odd that I am bony enough to "catch" my pointy parts on the furniture, but definitely well worth it for the other benefits.
  • Oh yeah. And I still weigh 200 lbs and it's a problem for me. My boyfriend always jokes about my "tail" because I'm always complaining that I can't get comfortable... it's bad enough now (even in chairs with stiff cushions, like some car seats), I don't know how I'll be able to sit at all once I'm at goal!
  • In the "new-smaller-body-related-pain" topic, apparently I used to use my fat as a shelf when lifting heavy things. So I kept landing heavy boxes (we were moving) directly on my hipbones to balance them. I ended up with gigantic bruises over both hips.

Totally normal, though. Your body had a lot of cushion, and now it has less. You adjust and learn what is comfortable and what isn't.
  • Quote: In the "new-smaller-body-related-pain" topic, apparently I used to use my fat as a shelf when lifting heavy things. So I kept landing heavy boxes (we were moving) directly on my hipbones to balance them. I ended up with gigantic bruises over both hips.

Totally normal, though. Your body had a lot of cushion, and now it has less. You adjust and learn what is comfortable and what isn't.
    Add me to the list of bruised hips. I also had a hard time in pilates class when I would lie on my side- I couldn't! I had to learn how to do that all over again. I can't sit on DH's lap for very long- not because I'm heavy, but because of my "bony a$$".

I would also bruise my hips and side all the time from bumping into edges and corners because I hadn't learned how to gauge my distance from an object. It really threw everything off for a while! The stuff they don't tell ya...
  • Completely normal. My tailbone has become quite uncomfortable, and like many others I also find my hipbones to be quite uncomfortable at times too, even laying on my mattress in bed. ._. Personally I'm almost completely used to it by this point though.
  • Not so much my bottom, but my knees of all things. I lie on my side when falling asleep and I found that my thighs must have gotten smaller and therefore didn't keep my knees far enough apart so my knees would knock and hurt. I tried a pillow between my knees, but that just kept me awake. Instead I have to lie with one leg behind the other instead of resting on top of the other.

And I'm a hipbone bruiser as well.
  • I used my tummy to help carry as well, so have had to adjust the way I carry boxes. I have to use my arms more now than I did - noticed it when I was bringing down boxes of Christmas decorations... Also, I have one of those "Hipster" laundry baskets and it is a lot harder to carry now than it was - slides off my hip because the dent I had for it before isn't as probounced. On the other hand, though, my arms are stronger so it is easier to carry the big basket without having to use the "Hipster" instead.