Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #1  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Default I'm slipping

I started out excited, and I've made progress, but the weight has been slipping back on the past couple of weeks. It's more cumulative than from individual huge meals. The thing that worries me is the shift in my attitude. I was excited before, but I've lost that excitement and that something that was carrying me forward. I think it happened about the time that people started noticing my weight loss and giving me positive reinforcement, which seems weird. Now I don't even know how to describe how it is I feel.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #2  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Here....Grab my hand...I'm here to pull you up...put some effort into it so that you don't pull me down...but you don't have to struggle as hard if you trust those that support you.
When entusiasm is lacking...Sometimes you have to count on old fashioned determination!
Good Luck!
DJ
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #3  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Just keep plugging along. One of my favorite sayings is to fake it until you make it. Don't question staying on plan, just do it day by day, hour by hour.
You can do it!!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

What I've found, that "excited" feeling just doesn't last. You need to dig down in yourself and find what can sustain you when the motivation fades. For me, it's habit and routine. Good luck!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #5  
More than halfway to 100!

S/C/G: 273/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6

How about changing up some aspect of your routine? Eating some non-breakfast foods for breakfast? Trying a new class at the gym? Maybe taking a yoga class? If what you're doing now isn't keeping you fired up, find something that will! I started doing Bikram Yoga about a year ago, after about 3 months of weight loss and I was feeling a slight rut. It definitely energized me, and is something I look forward to every week!
IrishRose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #6  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

I like the fake it 'til you make it, I've kind of applied that to myself. I think of someone I idolize (don't laugh) and think "What would Polly do?" This helps me when I just REALLY don't want to go to the gym.

When I started out I wrote a bunch of inspirational quotes in my food journal, and when I'm feeling like I can't make it I read them. I also come here and check out everyone's success stories, even if I have read about them before! Someday I will be one of those success stories!

If you look under my name you will also see a quote, "Giving no Ground" that is pretty much my motto for this whole weight loss adventure. I view it like a war, sometimes I lose the battle, but so far I'm winning more than I am losing!

Last edited by Skullarix; 12-07-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think what happens sometimes is that when people notice and say positive things, we unconsciously think "Oh good, now I can let up." That is of course the worst thing to do!

That's why you have to be doing this for yourself, and not for the reactions of others. Whether they are positive or negative, you have to be in this for your own health and well being. Ten pounds of loss is not enough--you need to keep going.

Don't give up now. Stay with your program. No slips! No bites, licks, tastes (BLTs). You're not done by a long shot! If this were a football game, you would be in the middle of the 1st quarter!

Go, girl, go!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #8  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufi View Post
I started out excited, and I've made progress, but the weight has been slipping back on the past couple of weeks. It's more cumulative than from individual huge meals. The thing that worries me is the shift in my attitude. I was excited before, but I've lost that excitement and that something that was carrying me forward. I think it happened about the time that people started noticing my weight loss and giving me positive reinforcement, which seems weird. Now I don't even know how to describe how it is I feel.

I don't know why it happens like this but I too lost my momentum or enthusiam right when I was super successful...Many years ago I lost 70lbs, having only started at 217 it was a pretty big deal....I was so uncomfy with praise and uncomfy in my "new" body that slowly but surely all the weight came back!! One thing that I'm doing differently now is being h-e-r-e with all the support of others. I think posting your thoughts and getting feedback from others while still staying on plan and keeping in touch just for the weight loss support is a great idea.

Hang in there!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

try to get in touch with the reason you started in the first place. Bring up all those feelings as reminders of why you want to fight through this temporary shift in attitude.

You'll kick yourself if you give up. Fight. Fight it. You are worth it.
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #10  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

All I do is look at the pictures I took of myself naked, and say... Do I really want to look like that for another year? Oddly enough just seeing the scale go down 1lb is enough to keep me motivated.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

we;re all here to pull you through if you want / need it! It's difficult losing weight. you go through phases where you really remember why you're doing this and it's so easy to lose sight of it. for me, i had to write it down cos if i dont my motivation goes in a minute
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
What I've found, that "excited" feeling just doesn't last. You need to dig down in yourself and find what can sustain you when the motivation fades. For me, it's habit and routine. Good luck!
This is so true! It's so much easier to be excited at first, it's new & you saw results right away. The longer you keep at this, the harder it is to feel "excited" about it. But the thing is, eating healthy & trying to regain control of yourself & your weight isn't an exciting thing, it's hard work. I don't know anyone that is ever excited about hard work, you just to do it. Take it day by day and just try to make the right decisions. They will pay off with your continued weight loss. And keep coming back here, there is a lot fo motivation to be found on this site & from these people. Learn how to utilize it!
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #13  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I guess I am feeling some pressure to do it for other people. Before, it was all me. I wanted to lose weight to be healthier. I didn't want to be fat anymore. Now, it feels like I'm carrying the weight of others' expectations, and it seems easier to carry actual physical weight. Hmmmm. I'll have to figure out how to reclaim my own weight loss journey.

Thanks for the support!
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #14  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

I would definitely recommend writing down all the reasons you started this journey in the first place and put it up somewhere in your house along with motivational/inspirational pictures and quotes to serve as a reminder. It may seem hard at first because people are usually afraid to put it on paper and identify with it but it serves as a step in really internalizing these motivations I guess so you can continue with your journey. Also documenting what you've already accomplished might also be another good way to keep you going so you can see just how far you've come. Like everyone said, excitement fades but feelings of accomplishment stick around a little longer, at least for me. And remember, what you're doing is being done by you and for you, no body else. I know sometimes it's hard to let go of expectations but it's the one way you're really going to get it done for yourself. Hope this helps!
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufi View Post
I guess I am feeling some pressure to do it for other people. Before, it was all me. I wanted to lose weight to be healthier. I didn't want to be fat anymore. Now, it feels like I'm carrying the weight of others' expectations, and it seems easier to carry actual physical weight. Hmmmm. I'll have to figure out how to reclaim my own weight loss journey.

Thanks for the support!
I found/find weight loss to be the most solo act. It was great having the support of my family. And oodles of compliments from others. But it was all about ME. I am the one doing the hard work - exercising, planning, shopping, cooking, resisting temptation day in and day out, making the right choices and basically just eating well. But that's okay. Because it IS for me. I'm the one who gets to reap the benefits. Although I will say it's benefited my family in numerous ways as I'm more productive and just overall - happier. But really, I'm the one who gets to get up every morning in a slender body, walks around all day enjoying the increased energy, the fabulous clothing, the higher self confidence and self esteem and just being - light & fit. And I'm the one who also goes to bed at night in that slender body, knowing that I have done my part in giving my body the best chance at a healthy life.

In other words, this MUST be about YOU.

And I agree. You simply can not rely on that early excitement of a weight loss plan. You must decide what you want for your life - longterm. And then do whatever it takes to get you there. You become commited to the lifestyle and you don't let anything or anyone stand in your way.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 12-08-2008 at 07:39 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote