Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Angry I'm Sick And Tired Of This!!!

AGHHH!!!!

I'm so freaking frustrated.

I've been actively trying to lose weight since September 2006. It is now January 2009 and I still haven't reached my GW yet.

I just want this to be over with! I want to be happy with my body!!

It's 23 lbs away. That's it.

I KNOW I can do this. I've lost 90 so far. I'm just tired of getting nowhere.

I maintained last summer, and now I've been trying to lose weight since September and I haven't lost ANYTHING.

Blahhh. I'm just whining, sorry.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Bones weigh quite a bit. What makes 120 the magic number for you? Seems a little extreme for a woman your height.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Bones weigh quite a bit. What makes 120 the magic number for you? Seems a little extreme for a woman your height.
I have a small frame, hardly any breasts or hips.

Really it's just a target for now. I might be happy when I get down to 135 or 130... but right now at my current weight I'm unhappy.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
I have a small frame, hardly any breasts or hips.

Really it's just a target for now. I might be happy when I get down to 135 or 130... but right now at my current weight I'm unhappy.
I am such big boned, at 120 I'd look skeletal...lol I forget sometimes we all are built different. You might have to drop a few calories and/or exercise more. Good luck, you've come so far, you can do it!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #5  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Good luck! You've made it this far
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Are you sure you need to be 120 to be happy?
Have you fully weighed the benefits and costs of being at 120 for the rest of your life?
Most people have a set "normal" weight, one that they will continue to return to unless they do one (or all) of the following things:
1. Permanently change the way and amount you eat
2. Permanently change how much physical activity you have...meaning you'll have to commit to exercise and a certain level of activity for the rest of your life.
3. Permanently change the make-up of your body, mainly meaning adding lean muscle and working out to maintain it for the rest of your life.

Now, these things are do-able, and they actually lead to quite fulfilling and happy lives for many people (some would say more so than their previous lives). However, you really need to think about if you want to do that. Perhaps this weight is your happy place? Will you be more happy at 120? Think of the costs and benefits. These are things that every person must ask themselves when they get close to goal.

It seems like your body has found the weight that it is most comfortable at, but if you still really want to commit to being smaller, then you have to keep in mind that only permanent, significant change will take your body away from its "comfort" zone.

I hope this is clear, and that you make the right decision.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

PS- we all know that BMI is not perfect, but it can give you general ideas of where you should be. Someone of your height would be very close to being considered "Underweight" at 120 lbs.

Also, I believe I've heard a statistic that said that being 5 pounds underweight is more dangerous for your health than being 20 pounds overweight.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

120 is pretty skinny...I think you'll be surprised as you take off the next 5-10 how thin you get...even with small bones. You and I are about the same height and at 132, I am hovering between a Size 2 and a Size 4. Anyway, more than that, what are you doing that you could change? How many calories a day? How much exercise? Are you strength training? For me, I think the resistance/strength training is the key...lean muscle mass is amazing stuff. It makes you look nice and long and lean...it takes up less space and it burns LOTS of calories. We need more info, if you want suggestions...
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumeany View Post
120 is pretty skinny...I think you'll be surprised as you take off the next 5-10 how thin you get...even with small bones. You and I are about the same height and at 132, I am hovering between a Size 2 and a Size 4. Anyway, more than that, what are you doing that you could change? How many calories a day? How much exercise? Are you strength training? For me, I think the resistance/strength training is the key...lean muscle mass is amazing stuff. It makes you look nice and long and lean...it takes up less space and it burns LOTS of calories. We need more info, if you want suggestions...
I don't weight train, I don't have access to a gym right now but I'll be moving in 3 weeks and then I'll have gym access. I walk/jog for 30 minutes a day right now on a treadmill.

I'm vegan and I eat around 1300 calories per day.

I will admit that I don't have alot of lean muscle mass, I'm pretty flabby and weak.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I think you will be surprised if you do pick up some weight training how much of a difference it makes.

Regardless, though, your frustration is totally normal. The last few pounds are REALLY difficult to get off. I stalled for a grand total of 7 months before dropping my last ten. It's just the nature of the beast with weight loss, unfortunately.

But others here have faced that stall, broken it, and succeeded, and you will too. In the meantime, whine here, but stick on plan, and eventually, you'll get where you want to be.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

If you get access to a gym, I think you will notice results with strength training. If not, you can still do a lot of things at home. I don't belong to a gym. I do my resistance training at home with resistance bands (mostly with handles and door attachments) that can be purchased at most fitness equipment stores. They come with instructions and there is lots of info on the web to build a good routine. I also just do body weight exercises, like crunches, push-ups, leg lifts, squats, lunges, etc. I do a thirty minute full body workout 3X a week -- nothing crazy, but I have really nice abs! Do not be surprised, however, that it takes around six weeks for noticeable results -- lean muscle mass grows slowly, but as you add it, you will look different. Your clothes will fit better. You will get stronger and you will, hopefully, raise your metabolism a bit as muscle tissue is "active tissue" and requires more calories to function. You may even find that you can eat more calories and still lose weight.

Last edited by Schumeany; 01-28-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I'm with you, in a couple months, I hit my 5 year anniversary and I haven't hit goal yet.

I think weight training will be beneficial to you as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #13  
Terminating Cellulite

S/C/G: 211.5 / See Ticker / 150 140

Height: 5' 7"

Hang in there!
I know how frustrating this can be. But you have really come a long way. And when you consider how much you have lost, you are actually right on schedule.
You are doing it slowly and sensibly so it will stay off due to the good habits you are forming.

Have you tried changing meals around? For example, if you eat a salad for lunch every day, try having that salad at dinner instead. Maybe just mixing things around will get things moving for you again.

And also, remember that it is okay to occasionally just let yourself indulge in the foods you have been avoiding. It could help you to sick with your plan in the long haul. This is a life change after all. Try to have fun with it. Shake things up!

I wish you the best! You can do this!!!
Sarah C0nn0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #14  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oh man, I feel your pain! I started losing weight in August of 2005 and never really hit my goal. I finally decided to just call myself maintaining, since I hadn't lost anything in over a year. I just feel unfinished, like I can never write my goal story until I actually get to the goal I set in my head.

Good suggestions from everyone, I just wish I could make myself follow them!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #15  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I've been at it a little longer than you and you've lost more than me. I feel your pain.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote