Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Default Vegetable Cookbook??

Hi all-
I am trying to incorporate more veggies in my diet and get away more from the "meat and potatoes" mentality that I was raised on as well as my hubby. I think it would greatly aid in my weight loss journey since I am a bit stuck. However I am just simply clueless when it comes to veggies, what they even look like ex: exotic and not so common veggies and how to tell if they are good at the supermarket and how to cook them and basically everything. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on some cookbooks that are focusing primarily on veggies and a more vegetarian way of life. Personal recipes would be appreciated.

thanks,
BBB

Last edited by blondebritbrat17; 12-02-2008 at 07:46 PM.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I was just sharing a couple of suggestions with another lady who doesn't cook much yet; doesn't like many veggies or fruits; and is trying to be vegetarian as well ...

Of course any type of veggie stir-fry with a bit of cooked rice mixed in is great; good veggies for that are: mushrooms; red, white, or green onions; r/y/g sweet peppers; kniblet or baby corn; all kinds of shredded cabbages; diced carrots; celery; sweet peas and pods; regular and cherry tomatoes; zucchini; broccoli & cauliflower. Use a bit of olive oil and light seasoning and soya sauce; stir in cooked rice and just heat through.

I also suggested a large baking pan or dish of roasted veggies like: chunks of sweet potatoes, onions, mushrooms, celery, carrots, parsnips, turnips, baby new red or white potatoes, sweet peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, any cabbage, green and yellow beans, and so on. I bake my veggies in a little broth, but water with a little seasoning is fine too.

I find that soups and sauces help make some dishes taste better too; esp pasta dishes mixed with cooked veggies like layered potato and veggie scallop or pasta casseroles. You can just experiement to see which you like best; you can make your lasagna and just put in a layer of cooked broccoli with a creamy soup; or a layer of sliced zucchini with a tomato sauce and so forth. Lots of ideas out there.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

There is a Food section of this forum you might like to check out. There is a Vegetarian forum with recipes that might be a great place for you to browse.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

There are also two blogs that have had lots of veggie recipes...Escape from Obesity and PastaQueen. Lyn on Escape from Obesity has a whole list of different veggie recipes, also with pictures and some experimentation with different foods.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This is a sticky from the Vegetarian forum:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92224

My recommendation would be the following:
Vegan with a Vengeance
Yellow Rose Recipes
Vegetarian cooking for everyone
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote