Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #1  

Default UGH...back fat?

So I am really frustrated with having fat on my back!!! It's so noticable when I wear my nice new clothes, even if they look pretty good otherwise! I turn in the mirror and see that bulge on either side of my rib area...right below the bra line. It's always been there...I actually use to be able to pull the back of the bra strap down to "hold" it up...but now that I've lost some weight, that doesn't work any more.

My problem areas are, like I mentioned, the "hanging" part below the bra strap...looks like the fat is hanging off the back of my ribs...how attractive... And the love handles above my waist on either side successfully forming a "muffin top" when I wear anything in the least bit snug. I'm within 15 lbs of my goal now...I'm ready to see some shrinkage already!!!

As much as I've read...I can't really "spot reduce" these areas I just have to keep losing overall and they'll eventually shrink... :/
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #2  
Magic Girdle Not Included

S/C/G: 180/ticker/127

Height: 5'5"

I think a longline bra might help you, or any bra with a wiiiiiiide band. I know all my narrow-banded bras are unsuitable for wearing with clingy things because I get back fat above AND below the bra line.

And when you think about it they don't really make sense--why sling a narrow elastic around someone's back? It morphs the shape. What are these people thinking?

Congratulations on nearing yr goal and best of luck to you!
Hippolyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Also, have you replaced your bra yet? If you've lost weight around your ribcage, making your old band size too big, it rides up more. At least for me, it's that riding up that really emphasizes back rolls. The band rides up and settles into the rolls or pushes them out. Surprisingly, a tighter band makes it sit lower and the rolls become less.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 289/278.8/155

Height: 5'7"

I would definitely consider a long line bra, find one that fits really well and is comfortable (in other words, try it on!) Also, make sure your pants fit well, sometimes that muffin top is the result of too tight pants or the wrong cut for your figure shape.
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I like using a body shaper. While, I am at goal, I still have a lot of loose skin that behaves the same way with a "skinny band" bra.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

In addition to the suggestions above, how bout some toning stuff? yoga and pilates are really great for that, or some gym weight training stuff to retone.
(of course I don't know your regime, maybe you have done all this already).
I don't like weight training, but even before I started to lose much weight, the pilates took an inch off waist and hips with toning. I hope to get another inch off this winter.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #7  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

Gah I HATE back fat! In addition to the bulge at the back of the ribs, I feel like my lower back is fat and sticks out, making me look like my *** is two times the size it actually is!

I can't wait until that's all slim and toned!

Could waist whittlers help? When you move your arms to the left and right, moving your torso while not moving your lower half? That would surely tone the area, even if you can't spot reduce.
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I hate back fat too. The easiest way to get rid of it is to get a really good bra
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Back fat and muffin top stuff.. ugh. Go away.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #10  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

I don't know if you're in the same situation as me, but if anyone knows back fat I KNOW BACK FAT.

So as you can see by my ticker, I'm 5'6" 158 pounds and am a 34 G cup bra size. No that is not a typo.

Apparently it's common among the large breasted to have a lot of back fat as well. I went to a doctor to talk about breast reduction and he said that all women with large breasts have that same problem and that they could do back liposuction during the surgery as well.

It has gotten a lot smaller since I've been losing weight, but it's still there.

And to all the people saying you need a new, good, probably expensive bra.... Trust me that is not always the answer. I have no choice but to spend over 100 dollars on the bras I wear. They simply do not come cheaper since I have to buy at boutiques downtown for ones that fit.

The ONLY bra I have that makes the back fat invisible is a bra I have that has a full underwire, but then like a spandexy jumper/bathing suit looking thing attached that has snaps between my legs. I think it's made by the bra company freya. It's great to wear with dresses but I don't wear it with most other tops cause if my shirt rides up I find it embarassing for people to see I wear what essentially is meant to be a slimmer on a daily basis.

Last edited by hotnewspirits; 01-11-2009 at 10:21 PM.
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 184+/143/135 (Preg High:227#)

Height: 5' 4.5"

I'm with you, I HATE it too. I have finally come to terms that it's not the actual fat so much as my loose skin from stretching it out so many times. I do lots of weight training and not too much improvement :-(
michelle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 262/262/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm with ya on this one-- back fat's the worst! It's hard to hide.

I agree that it's time to look into whether or not you're ready for some new bras, possibly with a wider band. And, the pilates and yoga suggestions to help tone up sound good, too. In the meantime, I'd recommend a Spanx-type cami to help hide it.

Last edited by Nixie; 01-12-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: .
Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #13  

I didn't realize back fat went with boob fat but it makes sense, I gain my weight in my upper body, boobs, belly back and can still have thin legs and arms. if it weren't for those three way mirrors in dressing rooms I wouldn't know it's so BAD. Anyways back to blazers and vests until I get the back fat blasted off! At least it's winter. I don't find that those slimmers help, tried spanx too, best solution is to exercise it OFF, and cut the starchy carbs. For belly fat at least I've read that pilates ab exercises are the best. And I'm thinking good posture too, standing TALL. No more tight shirts for me, or dressing rooms for a few months at least. Going to take them out of my closet for now and put them in storage.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #14  

I think most celebs wear spanx even at thinner sizes. Heck Tyra on her show the other night pulled up her skirt and showed hers smoother, spanx of course. Rather then ditching 2/3 of my closet maybe I'll find one that fits right. Even those tank things seem to help a bit.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 184+/143/135 (Preg High:227#)

Height: 5' 4.5"

I saw a pic of EVA LONGORIA with Spanx peeking out from under her dress while exiting a car...
michelle7 is offline   Reply With Quote