Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #16  
Starting to Get It!

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/120

Height: 5'4"

Well now I feel stupid for asking how to count calories with things don't have labels. Thanks for posting all of those sites that is cool. How do you know how many calories you need to eat?
AmberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #17  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberE View Post
Thanks for posting all of those sites that is cool. How do you know how many calories you need to eat?
Trial and error.

There are so many calorie requirement calculators out there. Here's one I've used in the past:

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

However, if I put my stats into it (253, 64", 42yrs) and say 8 hours resting, 16 hours light activity, it tells me that I burn 2464 calories. So either I'm underestimating my activity, but on 2000 calories during weeks that I don't exercise I still lose ~2lbs/week. The reality is that I exercise as well (but I eat more when I do). I know that I 'roughly' burn about 2900-3000 calories a day.

Calculators are a good starting point, but in the end if you track your calories closely, you'll get a better feel for what you burn. Start with tracking everything closely, and just pick a number (say 2000 cals). Weigh and/or measure everything if you can. ie. make sure that the number is accurate. After a couple of weeks (a month is better) you'll either be the same, or lighter. Then adjust your number based on that. The reason that I say a month is better is that, depending on changes to your diet, some people lose water weight when starting to eat better.

Good luck
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #18  
Starting to Get It!

Anne,

Thank you! I am slowly starting to get the information I need I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I am going to go to the website to figure out what I need.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #19  
Starting to Get It!

I got my calorie estimate. My BMR is 1697 and my over all was 2404. Thanks so much for all of the help.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #20  
Anne

Amber,

After a year at it (this time), and one other very unsuccessful attempt (lost weight, but made myself sick) the only thing I've really learned is what works for me. With more food I can be more active and I seem to lose more weight. If I take my calories too low I become less active (except for workouts) and I tend to lose less weight. So for me, keeping my calories up seems to be the secret for me. Eventually, if lucky, we all find what works for us.

Oh, and with the numbers you got there, it's usually suggested that you don't eat below your BMR. With 2404 as a starting point I'd knock 500 off that daily and just try moving around a little more (ie. park further away, take the stairs, etc.) and see how it goes. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #21  
Starting to Get It!

Anne Thank you so much. Sorry to ask another question but...

How many calories do I have to burn to lose weight?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #22  
Anne

You need to burn 3500 to lose a pound. So, 500 calories of a deficit each day will give you a pound each week. Although, having said that, the body doesn't always give up weight in a purely linear fashion. Water can (and does) play with the numbers as well. I've found that keeping my water intake consistent helps, although around my period I'll retain water some months, then drop it in a matter of days.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #23  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I count calories and track them in cheap day planner/journal. I love to look at it. I use various online calorie counters to determine calorie amounts in restaurant foods and foods that don't have labels.

I think what I love best about counting calories is it's free. In the past I have spent so much money to lose weight, and then I couldn't afford new clothes. I made a vow to never spend money again to lose weight. My hubby makes fun of me because he thinks I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I have a feeling that if you really dig deep, the Frito-lay corporation owns half of the diet industry. <big grin>

Disclaimer:

This is my oppenion only, and I personally don't care if any one spends money to lose weight. If you have extra, spend it to get healthy by all means.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 12-05-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #24  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Extacee, I find myself saving calories too or having a low day because the next day I am planning to eat out or whatever. I think it's a doable strategy long-term that WORKS with careful monitoring of weight.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #25  
Starting to Get It!

Thanks a lot all of you. I am down 3.5 pounds, which isn't a lot but at least I didn't gain though the holidays.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #26  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

I have an app called "Lose It" on my iPhone.

It's really good. Needless to say I haven't been good lately...
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote