Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7

Default Sumo wrestlers...oh my!

I was listening to a radio show today with Susan Jones Smith...an author and expert in nutrition. She said that the way sumo wrestlers gain their weight is to starve themselves all day and then feast at night....it puts on weight quickly!

Oh my...I feel a little sad....for my struggle for years and years has been night-eating ....I got to the point where I gave up "dieting" because I could be great all day and then 10-11 o clock at night, I would eat....not huge quantities, but a sandwich (sp?) or bagel...some kind of pasta or bread. I always insisted that the quantity of food I ate was not excessive...that my intake of calories DID NOT match my weight....I fear it may be this sumo wrestler effect! It makes sense but makes me sad....;o(

Oh well....now that I know better, I need to do better!

I feel like a light-bulb has gone off in my head! I am seeing the light....it both scares me a little and strenghtens my resolve.

thinkerbell
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I think you are right, one of the ways I have been reading about to kick start your metabolism is to have small (measured) small meals through the day, about 5 of them. I havent been able to get away from 3 meals a day yet, but am being really good about brekkie.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Well that explains it for me! I am a musician so I am up late most nights and I never eat breakfast and eat most of my food after 9pm!

And I am half asian so I even look Sumoish!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #4  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Oh, my. I worked many nights while in college and ate like this. I probably put on 40-50 pounds. I wasn't eating healthy food, and I blamed it on that, but I suppose the sumo factor could have been a part.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

My family went through a rough period in money for a while at one point- and I was at the age where I was dependent on my mother for food(elementary school, couldn't cook). Unfortunately she had a horrendous job that caused her to be at work all of the time, so I basically wouldn't eat anything all day until she came home at midnight with a fast food meal.
No wonder why I was chubby, I ate like a sumo wrestler!
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote