Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Default well here I go!

Well I am getting ready to officially start my healthy new lifestyle tomorrow morning. That is the date I picked out. I've been very busy this week getting ready. So far this week....

1. I joined the YMCA
2. bought the starter pack of ALLI and read the books
3. cleared out my fridge and kitchen of all bad food
4. made a two week menu from the ALLI books (1800 calorie a day meals)
5. Bought the food for the said meals and vitamins and some supplements
6. dug out my old weights and bought a Air-Dyne bike and turned one of my rooms into a small gym in case I miss the YMCA
7. dug out my old bike and put air in the tires, I'm gonna start riding instead of driving everywhere.

My sister visited yesterday and I told her whats going on and she told me I was setting myself up to fail because she said I am doing what I always do, go overboard and try to do too much at one time. I am not listening to her because she (along with my Mom) are both pretty negative people, they always don't think anyone can do anything. It only makes me want to show them.

I am very, very nervous about this. I am at the heaviest I have ever been in my life I feel like if I don't drastically lose some weight I may not be around much longer.

My doc keeps trying to give me Xanax but I don't want that stuff thats ALL I need right now.

Also I am new and been reading a LOT of posts and I am noticing there are a lot of women on thise forum. Like WAY more than men.. did I screw up and join a womans forum or something? Are men welcome? Or just tolerated??

I hope so because there is a TON of great info on this site and one of the reasons I joined because it seems so supportive around here.

Well here I go.. gonna wake up to a new way of living tomorrow!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/226/165

Height: 5'10"

Men are COMPLETELY welcome! Hello! We're happy to have you.

Personally, I say if it works for you, then go overboard. The only danger is if you give up after you slip up. As long as you don't have that all-or-nothing mentality, just do what works for you.

It looks like you have a lot of plans in place. Best of luck to you!
KendraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

THANKS.... how you all getting those little slidey scales at the end of your posts??? Thats a cool idea to visually see your progress.

I am AMAZED and some peoples progress I have seen on here and inspired.
And I LOVE the before/after pictures they are SOOOO inspiring!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Guys are always welcome! Glad to see you.

I think if making plans and putting things in place like that works for you, then that's what you should do. Some people need that planning and structure and no one should give you crap about it!

Just do keep in mind that you didn't gain the weight overnight, so you're not going to lose it overnight either. It's taken me nearly 2 years to get to the point I'm at and I'm ok with that. It's better than where I was.

Hope you stick around and keep posting and reading

Oh, and the tickers - you can get one after you've been here 20 days and made 20 posts. There's an option in your User CP to add one.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-01-2008 at 12:42 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!

Talk about being prepared. I am impressed!

Keep in touch especially if the going gets rough. We're here for you.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Some people do better with babysteps, and that is a valid approach. Some people do better going all at once, and that is ALSO a valid approach. You just have to know what is right for you, and ignore the advice of the people that may mean well, but ultimately, aren't you and don't know what is best.

Stick around here, keep posting, and keep going. Great job on taking those first steps!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Yep, ditto to sticking around here. There is sound advice and answers here and loads of support. I don't feel comfortable discussing these issues w/those in real life usually. This is a great place to get my support and my answers.

I also take Alli. I am weaning myself from them now. I would say they do boost you a bit in weightloss efforts (instead of losing 9 pounds, you could lose12) but are basically placebos unless you make dietary changes. I am sure you have educated yourself and are ready to make the right choices though. As far as the side effects, if you stick to plan you won't have any.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am a real all or nothing person. When I made the decision to lose weight - I changed EVERYTHING up. I know that does not work for everyone, but for me it was the only way. I couldn't leave the door open for any missteps. But again, that's just me. You need to find what works for you. There's no one "right" way to do this. Ha, if there only were.

Also, when I did make the decision to lose the weight, I was real anxious to do so. I had SOOO many bad habits in place and I felt it was just best to replace them all, right off the bat - and get rid of the weight.

I did set myself up for success though, but in different ways. Well actually for me, changing everything WAS setting myself up for success. Some other things that got me on the right track - I started a journal, something I never, ever did before. I wrote in there all the reasons why I wanted to lose the weight and referred to it often. I tracked my calories - I was too nervous to overspend them and more importantly - forced portion control. I rid the house of ALL junk. I ADDED in tons and tons of veggies and other healthy, low calorie items. I planned/mapped out my food in advance. I couldn't leave my food to "chance". Too risky. I took healthy snacks and food with me.

Of course my plan and eating has evolved as I got further and further into my new healthy lifestyle. And of course my exercise has increased as I got smaller and more fit.

All your plans sound exciting!!! I look forward to hearing more from you as you embark on a thrilling journey towards good health. All the best.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 12-01-2008 at 01:31 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote