Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:47 AM   #106  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Smile

Slender, healthy people remember where they parked their car.

When slender, healthy people don't remember where they parked their car, they easily find it because they don't spend forever looking for their car when they actually drove the other car.

[ Note to self: Remember to write LOL somewhere when posting with tongue fully in cheek. ]
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #107  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Jay
Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #108  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh my gosh. What's happened here?

I gotta say there are things on this thread which I read that "slender/healthy" people DO and I almost laughed out loud. They were really far fetched to me and didn't seem like too many folks would adhere to them.

Then there are other things which I could relate to.

Now I'm sure some of the things that I practically laughed out loud to were some things that others could totally relate to. At least a few peeps anyway.

As far as "newbies" seeing them and thinking "I am a total failure for not doing A,B & C. Come now. We're just sharing our own experiences and that will vary greatly from person to person. I think the "newbies" are pretty safe. No harm will come to them. I think it's pretty clear that this thread is not giving some HARD CORE ABSOLUTE MUSTS for "diet success". It isn't right?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Wow. To be perfectly honest, I cannot see how anyone could read these posts (the on topic ones) and think they were rules they had to measure up to, and feel bad about that. I keep trying and I just can't see it.

Happy Tuesday everyone! One weekday down, four to go! Chin up! (By which, I do not mean to imply that *everyone* works only on Monday through Friday, or that they should feel bad if the don't. Probably there's an even split between skinny people and fat people as to whether they work a traditional M-F work week. Hmm, traditional will probably be an inflammatory word to some, but wow, it's hard to write without potentially, possibly slighting someone)

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-02-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #110  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Wow. To be perfectly honest, I cannot see how anyone could read these posts (the on topic ones) and think they were rules they had to measure up to, and feel bad about that. I keep trying and I just can't see it.

Happy Tuesday everyone! One weekday down, four to go! Chin up! (By which, I do not mean to imply that *everyone* works only on Monday through Friday, or that they should feel bad if the don't. Probably there's an even split between skinny people and fat people as to whether they work a traditional M-F work week. Hmm, traditional will probably be an inflammatory word to some, but wow, it's hard to write without potentially, possibly slighting someone)

Very well stated. And a good analogy.

Oh and a very Happy Tuesday to you too. Just think, soon it will be TGIF. Yay for the weekends!!! Unless of course you work on the weekends. Then it might not be so TG.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ok. I guess I'm just going to give up here.

Quote:
I cannot see how anyone could read these posts (the on topic ones) and think they were rules they had to measure up to, and feel bad about that. I keep trying and I just can't see it.
I just can't see how anyone just can't see that it is possible given the types of posts that we see every day on the boards. There are a lot of things posted on these boards that people read and think they are "rules that they have to measure up to". We see it every single day in the postings of people who are struggling.

It's not really that important. I have better things to do, to be honest. I'm just stunned at some of the responses. Instead of "wow I never thought that someone might be hurt or offended or take these the wrong way and what can we do to make sure that doesn't happen" the overwhelming tone has been "I just don't see how it could hurt someone and if it does, then they need to lighten up."

As I've said before ... that type of attitude really really really surprises me coming from 3FC people. That's not the 3FC I know.

Anyway. I'm really done here. I'm moving on.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #112  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Oh my goodness -- I was kidding with the pants thing!! As someone who experiences the ever-fluctuating fit of my pants, I thought it would be funny to mention it. I also posted a page ago or so that it was never meant to be taken seriously. By anyone. At all. I thought it was pretty clear, by mere virtue of HOW SILLY it was, that it wasn't meant seriously, but I'm sorry if anyone was offended... I honestly, completely did not think that would be offensive to anyone.

So officially: I hereby have no idea what kind of relationship people of any kind have with their pants, or shirts, or shoes or any other item of clothing. Every individual human being feels differently about his or her pants, and has different experiences with them and in them and heck, some people don't wear pants at all and I wouldn't want to imply that everyone does, or even wants to wear them.

I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Healthy slim people don't worry about whether their jeans fit the same on Monday as on Friday. (Newsflash: My best friend who is a perfect size 2 and always has been is *more* worried about how her jeans fit on a day to day basis because she has less "wiggle room" than I do in my size 12s. If she eats too much salt or is bloated from her period or gains the tiniest bit of weight, her jeans are far more uncomfortable for her than mine are for me.)

(Those are just the two most recent comments that have nothing to do with healthy habits or any reasonable expectation of what healthy skinny people do.)
Old 12-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

As a maintainer for 3-4+ years, I can tell you that being slender and healthy is certainly not so easy. Yes, I don't eat dessert and no, I don't equate food with love, BUT my brain still fights with itself everytime. It's a struggle each day. At 118lbs(!), I still have "fat days". Losing the weight was easy. Having to remember WHY I had gotten to that weight in the first place and keeping myself from going there again is much harder.

Last edited by sacha; 12-02-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: -
Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

I get that this thread was started in good fun and was meant to be very tongue in cheek. I really do. The reason it annoyed me is because on a day to day basis these generalizations are made about me, and it gets tiring. Yes, I actually DO do most of the things on the list. However, I had to learn them, and its not always easy, and it gets old QUICK when people assume being skinny is easy and that if you just do those things, you too can be skinny. I was once naturally thin, and never worried about a damn thing i put in my mouth. I gained a ton of weight, lost it, and now watch everything i put in my mouth. I also know some overweight people who do a lot of those things, yet can't manage to lose any weight.
So while i get that it was not meant to offend anyone, it did. I don't think it needs to be taken down and I don't think any appologies need to be made, but I also don't think anyone has a right to tell someone that they "shouldn't" feel offended.

If i made a list of "what overweight people do", and included things like "pig out on the couch", "eat mayonaise for breakfast", or "drive to check the mailbox instead of walk", I wonder how many people would be offended. But hey, it was just for "fun".
Old 12-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessisaokay View Post
If i made a list of "what overweight people do", and included things like "pig out on the couch", "eat mayonaise for breakfast", or "drive to check the mailbox instead of walk", I wonder how many people would be offended. But hey, it was just for "fun".
Don't look, but we have that thread going too, as a matter of fact
Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #116  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Since this thread has ceased to be about the original topic, and is instead being used as a discussion of whether the original topic was appropriate, I'm going to go ahead and close it.
Closed Thread