Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 190/135-see tracker

Height: 5 ' 3"

I agree with EZmoney--You have nothing to apologize for. You are not in control of what and how people post.

Everyone is just sharing their opinion. Some of us will relate to some people's posts more readily than others.

I, for one, agree that skinny and fat people are more complicated than we sometimes chalk them up to be. But the brainstorm is fun and we all can take what clicks for us and leave the rest and, of course, add our braindrops as well.

Thanks for the thread Do I. It's threads like this one that can help pull those of us who have strayed back on to the path.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #47  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
First of all, I really believe that there is absolutely NOT one set of rules for ALL healthy/slender people. There's certainly more then one way to do things *right*.

I also believe that there are differences in how people who have always been slender/healthy people "behave" and those that were previous obese or overweight "behave".
Okay, this is weird. I'm quoting myself here.

I think we're all pretty much aware that not ALL skinny/slender/thin/healthy/fit/trim people, drink water with their meals, NEVER soda.

And I think we're all pretty much aware that not ALL skinny/slender/thin/healthy/fit/trim people take the stairs instead of elevators.

And I think we're all pretty much aware that not ALL skinny/slender/thin/healthy/fit/trim people, pick the parking spots furthest from the door.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

We are all aware of that, aren't we?

It's just a generalization. Giving some good tips on how to GET to be that skinny/slender/thin/healthy/fit/trim person.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-29-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #48  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

"It's just a generalization. Giving some good tips on how to GET to be that skinny/slender/thin/healthy/fit/trim person.

We are all aware of that, aren't we?"

I assumed everyone knew that! There is no doubt we are just making generalizations, not stating cold hard facts!

I for one am making some notes and getting some ideas that may help me!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #49  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
And beyond that, the more ridiculous this list gets the more people who are fat who don't do these things start to feel guilty or down on themselves because they don't do these things.
I sincerely doubt that, unless you're speaking only for yourself here.

This list was intended to encourage (in a playful way) positive healthy-weight-promoting habits that we have noticed among healthy-weight people. Does that mean every skinny person does each of these things? No. And none of us who have contributed to this list has ever said as much.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #50  
FB

I'm reading this as each person's take on what it would take for them to be skinny, not skinnies in general, yeah. For instance, if I post several of mine - they really apply to me - my bads...

Healthy people usually don't eat a jar of peanut butter in 2 days!
People of a normal weight don't try different poses on the scale for a better weigh-in, because that 1/10th of a pound doesn't matter so much.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I've been enjoying reading this thread! I have to say that my skinny roommate runs 6 miles a day - but she also eats bags of M&M's pretty regularly! I guess you've got to keep a balance. =)
Old 11-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #52  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Skinny/healthy people don't eat a lot of "low-fat" foods, they eat less of the real stuff and enjoy it more.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #53  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

MY wife walks quite a distance from her car to work and the store when she could park closer

My wife always takes the stairs over the elevator, especially when we go to the plays....we are faster than the elevator!

My wife always has water at meals...rare she ever has a soda

My wife and I plan the majority of our meals out for the week....we have for almost 13 years now....kids or no kids....we do this almost every Saturday night w/o fail.

I used to eat whatever I wanted w/o gaining weight when I was a smoker and skinny...would not...in any freakin' way...recommend this!! NO-NO-NO!!!

why?....because there is a huge difference between being skinny and healthy and being skinny and unhealthy....but I am pretty sure that most of us KNOW the difference!

I love this thread!

OH and by the way my wife is 5'5" and weighs 119....yoga has zapped her of 4 pounds.....that and she gave up sugar 3 weeks ago.

Last edited by EZMONEY; 11-30-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #54  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

I think the thread was meant more for what we want to work on and get into the mindset of. Obviously it isn't true for all, its a generalization of the type of thinking we want for ourselves.
Also, I've always been a healthy person even though I was overweight.. my health has always been great. Fitness-wise, I could still run and play tennis and do some things a lot of skinny people around me couldn't do.
I think that most people on here know that not every slender/healthy person thinks of fruit as a treat or whatever. It's just a thread aimed at the type of thinking we'd all like to move towards, and it's easier to state extremes knowing that there are exceptions - people aren't ALWAYS nor do they need to always say no to cake but they'd like to work towards having the ability to say no.
When I say that I'm losing weight to a friend, I don't really state all the in between fluctuations where it has gone up and down because it's part of the process but the main point is that I'm losing.
It doesn't have to be that serious - I think most people are smart enough to recognize that some thin/healthy people can have horrible eating habits, some the same as ours (which still depends on the person), some that live up to the what we're listing, and some "skinny" people make very unhealthy choices to stay skinny.

I think it's more of what we tell ourselves each day or what we strive for in order for each of us to achieve our goals. I have trouble saying no to free food.. so my mantra would be that "Healthy/thin people can say no to free food" - even though I know a rare few who would.. I know that I need to move towards this way of thinking for me personally to achieve my goals.

I like this thread though, I'm going to add something else.

Healthy/slender people know that the option to eat chocolate will always be there, so saying no this one time will not be the end of eating chocolate.
(definitely my personal downfall..)

Last edited by Starrynight; 11-30-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #55  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Right on STARRYNIGHT!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #56  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Old 11-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #57  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
MY wife walks quite a distance from her car to work and the store when she could park closer

My wife always takes the stairs over the elevator, especially when we go to the plays....we are faster than the elevator!

My wife always has water at meals...rare she ever has a soda

My wife and I plan the majority of our meals out for the week....we have for almost 13 years now....kids or no kids....we do this almost every Saturday night w/o fail.

I love this thread!

OH and by the way my wife is 5'5" and weighs 119....yoga has zapped her of 4 pounds.....that and she gave up sugar 3 weeks ago.
Gary, I wanna be just like your wife when I grow up!!!

Quote:
Healthy/slender people know that the option to eat chocolate will always be there, so saying no this one time will not be the end of eating chocolate.
Starry, that's a biggie for me. I often, OFTEN tell myself, that I don't HAVE TO HAVE fill in the blank right now. That it WILL be there another time. Makes it MUCH easier to pass up.

And I LOVE the thread too. Some "suggestions" will ring out to me, others will not. But that's perfectly fine. Perfectly.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #58  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Gary, I wanna be just like your wife when I grow up!!!
ROBIN I will tell you that I have known Angie since '95 and she has always (and not perfectly of course) eaten small portions, ran when she could....walked when she couldn't, stretched almost daily and done yoga - which has increased into her schedule much more the last 2 years. She used to do weights but not anymore.

She has small portions for dessert but always had a desert after dinner. She is not afraid to put smaller amounts of food on her plate...then get more if needed....me I just load up to save a trip

She has cut as much sugar out or her diet in the last month....not for weight issues but to see if she feels better overall. Some of her recent 4 pound loss I think is because she just finished getting her yoga teacher credential and registration. This required over 250 hours of yoga training and observing, which meant more participation at times.

In a nutshell....my slender wife eats reasonable portions of reasonably healthy foods and remains in active exercise that is not real strenuous but will burn calories.

and kicking my butt from time to time off that recliner burns a few too!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 11-30-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I do think there are differences between people who never gave their weight any thought and stay slim; people who nipped the problem in the bud and work a little to keep it that way; and people who have been obese and are now maintaining. And even within each group there are big differences.

But, yup, I don't think there is some big problem here. We all (OK, I'll rephrase that to 99.9%) know these are different ideas that work for different people.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #60  
3 + years maintaining

Gary, sounds like your wife has some great healthy habits in place. Ones that have kept her at a healthy, slim weight. Good for her.
Closed Thread