Quitting cigarettes and weight loss

• Hey all,
    I've been a smoker for about two years now, and I quit last Friday (the 14th) when I got really terrible bronchitis that put me in the hospital. So far, so good, I haven't had one or a "need" for one since I quit (and yes, my lungs are feeling fine now). My weight hasn't seemed to go up much, besides the usual fluxes (including a couple of pounds of water from my period, I assume). I think the loss of the appetite suppressant isn't hurting me too much, I've got my food intake pretty regular even without it.

What are your experiences with quitting while dieting?
  • I have yet to quit, but plan to within a year from now. Just wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU!. Your doing great.
  • Good for you!!
    you have taken a huge step in a healthier direction. Quitting smoking can be tough but it is worth it, you can't reverse the dmamge that cigarettes do to your bodybut you can stop the damage. Best of luck and keep us posted about your progress.
  • Great job! Don't give in! Stay quit!

Actually, the body can reverse a lot of the damage from smoking, as long as one hasn't developed disease already, like COPD. After 10 or 15 years, the risk of lung cancer in a quit smoker is close to that of someone who has never smoked.

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...819144,00.html

Hang in there!

Jay
  • HI Kelly; Good work on quitting. Going to the hospital can be scary and I hope you will stick to your guns and not start again.
    I was a full time smoker during university and the first few years of my career, but as things have gone- since I started to change my lifestyle I had started to exercise and I think my body naturally wanted to quit. Now I'm one of these "only when I drink" smokers. I can't stand to smoke during the day or on days when I play soccer or work out.
    I'm noticing now that after about six months of this I'm gaining weight slowly. I'm not sure what I will do to raise my metabolism, because I was never on any formal plan. I know I won't ever go back to smoking as heavily as I once did though.
    I just re-read what I've written and realized this of little help to you.
    Anyways I hope you can continue to stay quit!
  • Just quit last week 6 days!!!, havent really had the urge to have one yet...been sick...but....want to eat EVERYTING I see lol
  • congrats on quitting. i quit right about the same time that i started to diet and exercise again and it was hard at first but it was definitely worth it!
  • Thanks for your support everyone!
    And cupcake, good luck with quitting too. It's not easy, but I really think its a matter of hitting that point in your life when you're ready to follow through.