this can't be right....right?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I bought a new weighing scales today. It's weighing me at the right weight but it's a body analyser and it's saying my body fat is 24.2% and water is 56%. That CANNOT be right, I mean it's not possible, I'm 5'3 and I weight 236ish....
  • I rather doubt it.
  • As far as the water goes, that is very possible. I'm actually studying for a test on the urinary system right now and a typical woman is about 50% water.
  • I've never trusted those scales... mine gives me a very different reading each time I step on it (even after intervals of just a few seconds).
  • Drina- yeah I wasn't sure about it. But I've checked a few times and it's been the same everytime. weird

KRy172- I should have a much higher fat percentage, so it wouldn't be possible to have a higher total then 100% right?
  • seems really odd if it was true. Did you step on the scale with clean, slightly damp feet? Could make a difference.
  • Maddie: good to hear from you...were you away this weekend or busy?
    How is it going with quitting smoking? The 20 lbs gone is so fantastic.
    I am suspicious about fat percentage, I am the same height as you, and am 33-34% fat on my scale. Have been the same for quite a while.
    have a great week.
  • Not in your wildest dreams!!
  • I think those bf% scales are wildly inaccurate. I just have a regular one and plant to stick to that. I dont need any weird numbers clouding my head. I'd say ignore that part of the scale.
  • I don't usually even look at fat and water on my scale, but I did it last night for a laugh. The figures that came up were 47% fat and 38% water.

I thought you find my numbers interesting as we're almost identical in height and weight. I don't set any store by them, myself. YMMV.
  • DishyFishy- it is always really interesting to meet others with my stats! I dunno why, just knowing someone is where you are!

Fatmad- I was indeed MIA for the weekend, parents were visiting Quiting is ok. I'm still cutting back because I feel that's what works for me. So many people have just said find what works for you, and not what worked for others, you know? It makes sense I guess. But anyway it's good I am on 5 a the moment and during this week or next monday at the lates I will cut back to 3. So fingers crossed!
  • Weigh to go Maddie. You do what works for you. If cutting back is better than cold turkey, or gum or a patch or zyban, then thats what works. And don't be discouraged. It may take more than one try, more than one thing to do it. The important thing is that, just like exercise and losing weight, it is one more thing to getting to be a healthier you, and therefore, the best you.
    We Like you, and are glad you are here!
    best wishes
  • Do you have muscular legs? I've read before that those scales work by sending a current up one leg and down the other, and that it really only measures the fat in the bottom half of your body and assumes the same percentage for the rest of your body.
  • Quote: DishyFishy- it is always really interesting to meet others with my stats! I dunno why, just knowing someone is where you are!
    I love seeing how other people are doing when they're around my weight and height. But I'm generally quite nosey like that!

Well done on cutting back the ciggies! I used to smoke over 40 a day; cut that down in increments to 5 or 6, where I stayed for a few years; and finally quit completely on 4th January this year. So cutting back gradually worked for me too.

Good luck with the next level.
  • Jill: Funnily enough yeah, most of my fat is in my upper body. Maybe thats why it's so off. Anyway I'm not going to take that bit very seriously. Just what the weight say

DishyFishy: I guess we can keep an eye on each other! Might be motivational! Congratulations on quiting! I hope I'm there with you soon!

fatmad: Thanks for the encouraging words! You're a great support! I really appreciate it!