Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy Are you cold since you lost weight?

Being cold in winter is nothing new to me (I sizzle in summer and freeze in winter, I guess my body does not adjust to changing outside temps too well) but it is particularly bad this year. I just hit the 40 lbs milestone (yay!) but I am always so cold. I sit in the office in two layers (and even if I wear a thermal long-sleeved undershirt, it does not make any difference) and my hands feel like ice.

Last winter I was ok wearing just a longsleeved cotton Tshirt all winter with no sweater or no fleece jacket on top. This year, I am thinking I may have to start long johns to my attire!! Being cold makes it also so much harder for me to drink my daily 3 litres of water - I am lucky if I manage to drink 2 (I drink hot mint tea, but there is only so much of it I can drink in a day).

Anybody else?
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yup yup yup.

I attribute it to the fact that I don't have as much padding to keep me warm! I definitely am colder this year than I was last and find myself wanting to layer more.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am freezing my buns off. My hubby is constantly telling me he is "burning up!" I am cold down to my bones. I am actually getting an electric blanket this week.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It gets better but yes, your internal thermometer needs to catch up. While sleeping, my skinny husband will have 1 blanket on him and minimal clothes. I'll have 2 blankets on me and a full pj set.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I read that being cold could indicate a slowing metabolism... I also read it could indicate anemia...for me, I hope it just means I am not as heavy as I used to be and just need more cover
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #6  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Yup! Another frosty here. I'm thinking about getting a hot water bottle and carrying it with me wherever I go.

If you don't want to drink mint tea all day, how about just heating water? I've gotten into that habit lately for exactly the same reason. Sometimes I add a little lemon juice, but most of the time I'm just having it plain.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #7  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I have worn long johns for years. Everyday I wear two pairs of pants and at least 2 shirts, if not three. I'm still freezing. I gained 75lbs and it didn't help one bit!! I hope to goodness I don't get colder as I lose weight. I was just the same when thin so I assume I'll stay the same when I get there again.

Oh, when you are at home a heating pad in your lap can be very helpful.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's become quite a problem for me. I am painfully cold. I dress in so many layers. I hate 3/4 sleeves shirts. I need um all the way down to my wrist. I take a sweater with me everywhere. Even in the summer. I have a huge collection of sweaters. I mean you barely get to see my regular clothing cause it's always covered up with a sweater. I barely get to wear my "in between" clothing. I've been wearing my winter coat and gloves for some time already.

Funny enough, I had heard about this for years and I couldn't wait to feel cold all the time. It meant I've crossed over to the other side! And I did - but it's - cold!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/160/155

Height: 5'8"

I am FREEZING all of the time. It used to take quite a bit to get me cold but lately I am in pain from so many goosebumps rubbing on my clothes. I'm almost at the 70 lb mark and this has to be why. Afterall, last winter I was at 255 lbs!

I kind of miss that insulation :[
blanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Oh, when you are at home a heating pad in your lap can be very helpful.
I thought that was called a "cat"!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I always said I would welcome "hot flashes" that other gals were getting because I'm always sooo cold all the time. Well now that I have them it is actually worse, especially this time of the year. I bundle up, which eventually causes a hot flash, then freeze when I get sweaty and the flash goes away. My doctor said they may feel worse in the winter time due to the temperature changes. I've had problems with feeling cold for years, but I agree that it is worse after weight loss. I've had my thyroid checked. My blood count is great. It's just something I've put up with for years. I wonder if lifting weights more and increasing my muscle mass would make me feel warmer. I work in an environment that is kept a little cool & I'm miserable at work. Always dress in layers with long sleeves. I marvel at people who run around in short sleeves.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #12  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

My cats are great heating pads.

I also like a rice sock heated in the microwave for a couple minutes, it's nice when I'm curling up on the couch or crawling into bed.
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

I thought this was all in my head, I'm glad it's not just me! My co-workers make fun of me because I always have my zip-up fleece on, I'm always cold! They said it was cause I didn't have all that extra fat to keep me warm, I guess they were right! I'll take being cold vs. being overweight anyday though. :-)
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Add me to the cold list. I have a small space heater next to my desk at work that is constantly on.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #15  
Chuggin' along...

Tomato and everyone else, I can recall several threads like this - being cold after weight loss is a very common phenomenon! I found one link and I believe there are probably a few older ones buried in various forums:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126682

I've always been "cold-blooded" but now it seems even more so. Strangely I've noticed that if I do overeat by a lot I will literally feel warmer - maybe my body is burning all those calories? I dunno. But on a normal day, I always need more layers than everyone else. My bed is a pile of blankets in the winter time (yes, I do live in Florida - still cold!).
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote