Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #1  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Irritability... could it be food withdrawal?

i have been soooo grumpy since i got back on plan last friday! i've been off track the past 3 months and gained a few pounds back, but i'm back at it and have been doing ok with eating/exercise the past 5 days. so i'm proud of myself for that. but the irritability has got to go!

it's not the same as my typical moodiness/stress/TOM irritability, and i'm not depressed right now. the closest thing i can compare it to is the way i felt the several times i quit smoking. i still smoke now, but when i've quit in the past, i was really mean and short tempered and extra moody for the first 2 weeks (the hardest time) because of the nicotine withdrawal.

is it possible i'm going through some kind of withdrawal that's affecting my mood??? the more i think about the food i'm NOT eating, the grumpier i get! anyone else have this problem.
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Could be sugar withdrawal. Did you cut caffeine? Maybe you were drinking sodas before (diet coke, etc) that were caffeinated? That could lead to the grumpies..
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #3  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Did you use food as a comfort or eat when you're stressed and stuff like that? I ask because if you used to eat for those reasons, and aren't with now, I would THINK(not know) that maybe because you're not using that method anymore, your stress and emotions are running high?
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #4  
Progress, not perfection!

S/C/G: 132/118/110

Height: 5'0

I am feeling the exact same way. It's been just over 2 weeks now that I've been back "on the wagon" and I am being SO cranky at my kids. It's like I am ALWAYS edgy and restless and just cranky all the time. And yeah, thinking about food a LOT.
offmyfranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Be gentle with yourself and find something that makes you feel good--a hot bath, a massage or just sitting by the fire reading a book..

I am actually finding as I am dropping the weight that I no longer feel the need to talk on the phone all the time or be with people all the time. I am not what I consider cranky but I speak up now when I want something from someone. This is huge for me.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #6  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

thanks everyone!
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #7  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

At times, I've actually felt a physical release from eating food to relieve stress, so I do think there is a connection. Even if it is built on the mental level. So it would make sense to me.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I really think humans are creatures of habit. I, personally, can get waaay out of sorts when things change ... anything. I like my life to stay on the straight and narrow. And changing your food intake and activity level? That's big!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #9  
FB

I swear I've read that low blood sugar can cause some serious rage as a side effect. link
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #10  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB View Post
I swear I've read that low blood sugar can cause some serious rage as a side effect.
Oh, I definitely would be a living example of that. I get absolutely miserable when I'm letting myself get too hungry. Right now I'm cutting it a bit close with calories, and my irritability level is definitely up.

When I get into these moods I make sure to plan in something extra satisfying. For example, I just had a banana with 1 TBS cashew butter, microwaved for 20 seconds, as a snack. Good for me and good for my mood! Or soups. Soups and stews mellow me out and give me a nice, warm, full stomach.

Exercise helps too - a LOT. Gets rid of all my tension.

Last edited by Heffalump; 11-19-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I am hypoglycemic which is a naturally low blood sugar level and I can back the theory that low blood sugar can make u irritable, it's a scientific fact. Be sure that you are eating enough food to fuel your body or else you will be miserable and lose weight at a slower rate than you would otherwise. Also, small frequent meals are important. That's the main way I regulate my hypoglycemia. I eat 3/4 meals a day with 3/4 snacks. I also avoid all sugar possible, it actually helps the condition, believe it or not, because my blood sugar shoots up and then crashes after sugar intake, in effect, making the low blood sugar even lower. Best of luck and you might want to ask your Doc about hypoglycemia
Digging Deep is offline   Reply With Quote