Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Unhealthy Relationship w/ Food

Ok, so the other day I was accused by someone of having an unhealthy relationship with food. That really made me think about the way that I eat and how I think of food. here is what I came up with.....

Don't we all have an unhealthy relationship with food? I mean, seriously, if we didn't we wouldn't all be overweight & trying to regain a health lifestyle right? What leads to being overweight in the first place, not all the time, but a lot of time? An unhealthy relationship too food right? Is there anyone here who doesn't think they have an unhealthy relationship too food?

It really bothered me that I got ganged up on & told about how "unhealthy" I am with food. But I don't think I'm alone in possibly having an unhealthy relationship with food. I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys to see if I am the only one who feels they might have an unhealthy relationship with food.
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/199/150

Height: 5'6

For me FOOD is my comfort , my friend.It takes care of me when I am sad and when I am happy. And any other emotion I can think of.
If I am mad at my husband ,I punish HIM by eating.
His idea of love is to feed me.
No wonder I am fat.
cartp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartp View Post
His idea of love is to feed me.
No wonder I am fat.

That is no good! He does it out of love I'm sure, my husband used to do the same thing. But I had to make him realize that feeding me is no longer a way to show love. I'm really dedicated to this weight loss this time and one of the most important things for me to do is to make people around me realize that feeding me, is not a good thing. I think they all got on board because I had my birthday Oct 5, and no one got me a cake! Not because they don't love me or didn't want to celebrate, but because they knew I wouldn't want to eat cake.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #4  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

My relationship with food is that of which if I am not thinking about what I am going to eat, I am thinking of how I am going to keep myself from eating. Not exactly a healthy relationship...
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think we all obviously had something out of whack if we were obese. The important thing is to always be getting better. It's a real pleasure to realize food has become a friendly part of your life instead of being the enemy. But long-established habits can take a while to fully change - I think as long as we are open-minded and honest with ourselves (and those things can be hard!), we can also be compassionate with ourselves as we make big changes in our lives.

I think it takes a lot of courage to put it out there and face something that's difficult and full of uncertainty.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 11-17-2008 at 10:35 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Okay, since the thread was (understandably) closed, I'm going to do some copy & pasting and maybe help you see why some people think you have an unhealthy relationship with food (btw, here's the link:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...=156240&page=2) :

Quoted from Extasee:

"I hate calories. :-( I tried to have a pb sandwich once with my daughter & I almost DIED when I saw the calories for that little of a serving."

"Hey I've brought them up from less then 750 to around 1100 on most days, that's good! I am putting in effort to eat more, even though it goes against what I "want" to do."

"Holy Crap 1700! You can not be serious?! Does anything else think PhotoChick is CRAZY! I eat 1300 and I'm like, wow I did really good today eating A LOT of food! I'm usually so full I want to vomit on days I reach 1300, I felt like I'd been eating all day long!"

Other posts by Extasee from other threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extasee58865 View Post
I realized I was kind of getting an unhealthy obssession when it got to the point where everytime I could feel food in my stomach, you know that "full feeling" you get, I would throw up what I had just ate. Even if all I had a was a chicken salad.
Quote:
I have been making every attempt to change that habit and have now went 3 weeks without purging after I eat. I was close last night, I had a weight watchers meal and a grilled cheese on wheat/ no butter and felt SO FULL! I wanted to go get rid of it, but stopped myself and didn't.
Quote:
I don't know... The whole not getting enough calories is unhealthy thing still kinda confuses me. i just smile & nod when you guys talk about it. :-) hahaha!

It took us weeks to convince you to eat more than 500-700 calories a day and still you struggle to make it to 1200 - you called PhotoChick crazy for recommending a very healthy 1700 calories. You admit to struggling with bulimia.

So, you see why some people think you might have an unhealthy relationship with food (or in all seriousness, possibly a eating disorder) - because you talk like you do. No one said they dont have a unhealthy relationship with food, most of us at some point all have. Although many on this site have accepted healthy lifestyles.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think you really need to get a solid understanding about what your eating and what it's doing to your body. Get some books from the library or do some research on reputible websites (mayo clinic is a good start). And please come to grips with the fact that calories a not bad. They are life sustaining and necessary.

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt. And I truly wish you success on your weight loss journey.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I would probably agree with you that most overweight people have an unhealthy relationship with food. Of course there are always exceptions,

But I can surely tell you that I most DEFINITELY had (pretty sure I still have in fact, even after losing 165 lbs, although it's under control now for the most part) an unhealthy relationship with food.

I ate food in excess. I abused food. Period. I overdid it. Food was my "go to" thing. When I was sad, bored, lonely, tired, stressed, angry, mad, happy, excited - whatever. I ate more food then my body needed.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #8  

Height: 5'6.5

I get teased constantly at work when I'm not on the band wagon of the other "bad" foods that are brought in. They say I'm "no fun" when "I'm dieting." and they always tease me when I'm eating something....it is very frustrating....It gets very annoying...
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Yes, I also have a history of having an unhealthy relationship with food. I lived to eat..not the other way around.

Anytime someone points the finger at you there are MORE pointing back at them. Whether on a blog or in life, it seems like it's the same folks pointing fingers again and again.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #10  

I JULIEJ...

I didn't want this thread to be turned into something about me... So please don't, you all said your piece and I read them, even though by the time I did the thread had been closed and I didn't get to respond. I really want to know how other people feel about their relationship with food. I honestly think it's silly to point the finger at one person when honestly, we all have unhealthy relationship with food. Why is it when someone posts about binging, they get words of ecouragement and told to just get right back on & keep going forward. However, if someone posts about having the opposite problem, eating what some consider too few calories, they are ripped apart? I'm thinking that this is a double standard & doesn't help anyone. Every single person on here is here for support with weight loss and I don't think it's right of anyone to treat people the way some of you have. I understand that what people say is meant to teach & encourage people, but I believe there is a right way & a wrong way to say things to people.

I really want to understand how all you guys feel about food... Whether it's unhealthy in a sense that you binge on food or unhealthy in a sense that you are now scared of food because food is what has led you to 300 lbs or whatever you are...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #11  

Also wanted to add--I have no knowledge of the aforementioned thread and am not interested in reading it. I am only making a general observation. Negative NRG isn't likely to do anyone any good though especially in regard to weight loss.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Anytime someone points the finger at you there are MORE pointing back at them.
Yes, most of us have had an unhealthy relationship with food at some point, which is why it's so easy to spot in other people and why so many of us just want to help those who are struggling in the same positions we were in. It doesn't necessarily mean we still have that unhealthy relationship.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJo View Post
I get teased constantly at work when I'm not on the band wagon of the other "bad" foods that are brought in. They say I'm "no fun" when "I'm dieting." and they always tease me when I'm eating something....it is very frustrating....It gets very annoying...
Isn't that super annoying? Why do people do that! It's so hard for people to grasp the fact that we are trying to eat "healthy" and just because we opt out of food that they are eating doesn't mean we are "no fun!"
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Negative NRG isn't likely to do anyone any good though especially in regard to weight loss.

AMEN TO THAT!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #15  

JamieJo, where do you get those Silver jeans you mentioned on the other thread? I need jeans so badly right now.