3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Causes of overeating (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/155974-causes-overeating.html)

Monkeybean 11-09-2008 04:03 PM

Causes of overeating

I was wondering what others think causes their binge eating. I have been trying to understand what is happening in my brain that causes me to crave food all the time, and I am really struggling to find it. I know I have my injury to deal with, but it seems like there is something far greater, but I am not sure what. I don't want to binge eat, but I find myself eating even when I am not hungry. I hate this and wish I had some idea of what things might cause this behavior. :mad:

What are some things that cause you to binge eat or over eat when you aren't even hungry?

Iconised Ghost 11-09-2008 04:15 PM

boredom, stress and nerves. Those are the big ones for me

PhotoChick 11-09-2008 04:18 PM

Boredom is the majority of my problem. That and habit.

I do eat emotionally, or used to I guess. I don't so much any more, thank heavens. But then I don't "binge" in the traditional sense either. I just eat mindlessly.

I'll sit in front of the TV and eat without even thinking about it.
I'll eat even though I'm not hungry just to have something to do.
I'll go through an entire bag of potato chips just because they're there.

If I think consciously ... am I hungry? do I want this? ... the answer is often "no". But being *conscious* of my eating ... that's the hardest thing for me.

Dazzling 11-09-2008 04:29 PM

Stress, loneliness, personal problems, boredom are the major things that push most of people to binge.

Monkeybean 11-09-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoChick (Post 2445140)
Boredom is the majority of my problem. That and habit.

I do eat emotionally, or used to I guess. I don't so much any more, thank heavens. But then I don't "binge" in the traditional sense either. I just eat mindlessly.

If I think consciously ... am I hungry? do I want this? ... the answer is often "no". But being *conscious* of my eating ... that's the hardest thing for me.

you hit the nail on the head for me.... I do all of these... Perhaps boredom could be part of my problem. I just wish I was able to stop it. I don't even realize it until the food is gone. And this is the worst part. I have tried to make healthier munching choices, but I would prefer not to even be tempted to munch! argh!!!

Monkeybean 11-09-2008 04:31 PM

Dazzling, I hadn't even thought about loneliness. I suppose that could be an issue too.. I sit at home all by myself all day every day...

I really think I need to do some more self evaluation because I think there could be some things I have overlooked...

mazza 11-09-2008 04:50 PM

Boredom, stress, anxiety, cravings.

Dazzling 11-09-2008 04:50 PM

Monkeybean: When I used to live by myself, and especially after the semesters were over (especially in winter breaks), and when all my friends were out of town, I used to feel soo lonely and empty inside. That feeling by itself killed me and that pushed me to overeat and binge all the time. I somehow felt worthless in those winter breaks, alone in the world with no one to share those feelings with. But things got a bit better when I convinced myself to force myself out of the house and go out. That helped a bit, but then at NIGHT when I was by myself it was the same cycle repeating itself: overeating and binging on junk food.
I somehow just needed someone to be with me, someone to talk to ... I guess that's happening to you as well.

iriswhispers 11-09-2008 04:55 PM

loneliness is really my thing... i've posted in some other thread about having trouble making friends since i moved, and especially on the weekends or holidays i just feel empty, and so I eat eat and eat some more!

CountingDown 11-09-2008 05:08 PM

Stress, is a biggie for me.

But, honestly - the biggest reason is that eating food - especially carbs releases serotonin in my brain and makes me feel good. And I like the feeling I get from eating.

Another big factor is skipping meals. If I don't eat for much of the day - there isn't a force on earth that can keep me from binging once I finally start eating.

Thus, an ounce of prevention ...

What works for me?

Eating several small meals throughout the day
Eating protein at every snack or meal

Drinking enough water so that I don't become dehydrated

Planning my eating so I don't graze through the kitchen after I get home from work

Keeping healthy snacks handy at all times

Keeping binge foods out of the house (as much as possible)

Eating one thing, and then finding something else to do for 15 minutes after I eat. Usually, I will lose the desire to eat more.

Exercise first, then eat - even 5 or 10 minutes will help me make better choices.

Michellelee 11-09-2008 05:16 PM

I'm an emotional eater--When I'm stressed out I used to get myself a little snack to reward myself. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 strong opininated children, so I used to get lots of mommy treats. Now I'm trying to drink lots of water and have meals and snacks planned ahead of time so I don't reach for junk food when I'm stressed out. Also, I try to have some activity planned in the evening to keep me from getting bored and eating.

carolr3639 11-09-2008 05:22 PM

I googled feast or famine cycle and binge eating and found this.

You could learn a lot from a dog about eating and appetite.

Well, not my dog. As many of you dog lovers know, you have a choice when it comes to feeding your pooch—you can go with regular meals or allow the dog to free feed, meaning she has constant access to food.

Callie’s on a meal plan—she eats two meals a day. She’s a healthy weight, but outside of mealtime, you’d think she was slowly starving to death. Luckily for her, the sidewalks of Manhattan provide ample opportunity for her to indulge her cravings. Despite my best efforts at leash control, Callie has dined on pizza, soft pretzels, French bread, and, on occasion, a whole chicken discarded outside a restaurant.

If Callie were to free feed (and, at this point it may be too late, and I’m not really trying to cure her of an eating disorder), her food dish would remain full, and she’d graze throughout the day—a bite here, a nibble there, maybe even a full meal in the morning or after some rigorous play. Because the food would always be available, she wouldn’t feel the need to so desperately scavenge the sidewalk gutters. She’d follow her appetite, instead of relying on the external cues of mealtimes. She’d likely be less anxious and obsessive around food.

As a human, you may restrict your intake to designated mealtimes, and to certain foods at that (the hallmark of the diet). As a result, cravings develop and bingeing becomes your way of guaranteeing satisfaction within the realm of these restrictions. If you’re to remove the restrictions and free feed, the likelihood is (after some adjustment time), you’ll learn to follow your appetite, eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full. . . because you’ll know that the food will always be there, and you won’t have to scramble on the sidewalk to retrieve it.
Posted by drstaceyny at 10:24 AM

luvja 11-09-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoChick (Post 2445140)

Bingo. That's exactly how I used to be.

Skullarix 11-09-2008 05:34 PM

I have to agree with everyone else here. I was actually doing really well, 'til after Halloween... all that candy sitting around the house. I've had a couple bad days, but I'm back on track *looks around at the candy* for the moment.

Someone has a quote on here that says, "I've come to far, and worked to hard to take orders from a cookie." I keep trying to think of that when the candy starts talking to me.

Monkeybean 11-09-2008 05:39 PM

Oh goodness, so much wonderful input! Thanks so much!

Dazzling and iriswhispers,

I have been doing some reading and think this is really an issue with me. I also have a really hard time making friends, and in fact, don't have any friends that I routinely talk to ... :( I am certain that this could very well be one of my biggest issues. I have a really hard time meeting people and am always concerned when I meet someone new that they won't like me. Not really sure why I feel like this, but I was never like this in the past.

CountingDown

Thanks for the great tips. I will try those, although the exercise tips won't be easy because I have limited mobility. But I may be able to find another way to make it work..

Michellelee

I know what you mean. I only have one, but she has the energy of 10 and she is always doing things that can just eat at my nerves. (why can't they just eat at our fat cells!?) lol.. I think having something planned in the evening is a good idea.. too bad I always seem to fall short on my plans. argh!!

carolr3639

you reminded me of something.. when I was little, my mom use to hide food from us and wouldn't let us eat any of her "goodies". When I moved out on my own, I suddenly started buying and eating ALL of these foods and that was the start of my eating disorder.

I have been trying to do the several meals throughout the day, and snacks in between, but my snack of choice always seems to be bad. I am getting better though because I am not allowing myself to buy them. (most of the time anyway).

luvja

how did you change this behavior?