Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #16  
You can call me Chantili

S/C/G: 227/225/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullarix View Post
I have to agree with everyone else here. I was actually doing really well, 'til after Halloween... all that candy sitting around the house. I've had a couple bad days, but I'm back on track *looks around at the candy* for the moment.

Someone has a quote on here that says, "I've come to far, and worked to hard to take orders from a cookie." I keep trying to think of that when the candy starts talking to me.
Oh I love that quote.. thanks for posting it.. I need to print that and post it in the kitchen.

I had that issue with the candy even before halloween started. I had to get rid of all the candy that night or I knew I would eat even more. It is so hard to do though!!
Monkeybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

In addition to the emotional eating, sometimes I overeat because the food is delicious!! There are foods I could just eat until I explode: macaroni and cheese, ice cream, taco bell mexican pizzas... so I try to avoid those foods as much as possible
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #18  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

Here's my thing. I procrastinate eating.

I get into a groove of reading or making note cards or writing a paper or some intense school related activity. And then I look up and it's hours later with nothing to eat. And then I tend to overeat because I'm ravenous by that point.

I'm getting better. I try to pack a bag that includes snacks with my highlighters.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #19  

I can't remember who posted the response
about waiting a bit after eating something before moving onto something else, but I think that is a BIGGIE for me.
It's almost like I can get into a pattern of some sort. I finish one thing. I'm physically satisfied, but feel the need to move onto something else because for some reason, I feel the need to fill some other craving. If I really pause after the first thing, and maybe brush my teeth or something, it usually stops me from continuing. Where do these urges come from????

edited to say: it was CountingDown who said this:
"Eating one thing, and then finding something else to do for 15 minutes after I eat. Usually, I will lose the desire to eat more."
I completely understand this feeling.

Last edited by lipidful; 11-10-2008 at 09:28 AM.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #20  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Monkey Bean,
I like your question. I can answer only for myself. I didn't necessarily enjoy eating. I, at times, ate even when it wasn't that appealing to me. I ate from habit. I ate because the food was there when no one else is. I was unconciously eating to fill a void. I only created a bigger void with the food. I played the "fat momma" role because when I was in that category I was so far away from being compared to most other women my age that I ceased to care anymore. It was safer there in many respects.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 11-10-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybean View Post
I was wondering what others think causes their binge eating. I have been trying to understand what is happening in my brain that causes me to crave food all the time, and I am really struggling to find it. I know I have my injury to deal with, but it seems like there is something far greater, but I am not sure what. I don't want to binge eat, but I find myself eating even when I am not hungry. I hate this and wish I had some idea of what things might cause this behavior.

What are some things that cause you to binge eat or over eat when you aren't even hungry?

Stress
Lonley
It's in front of me
Trying to fill a void
Cause others are eating
To Celebrate

I could prob go on and on, but those a few
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #22  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I asked a question here once, and I wasn't all that surprised by the majority of the responses. I asked if people binged in private or public situations. I'd say that probably 90% said in private...including myself. I think that loneliness is probably my number one reason for overeating...that and depression. I'm a stay at home mom, and my "baby" started school 5 years ago. I began gaining massive amounts of weight when he started kindergarten. I think it's about time for me to get a part time job, (out of the house and around people) because now that winter is about here and I can't get outside and work in the yard and garden much at all lately, I have just realized it's going to be a LONG...LONELY winter if i don't do something drastic to keep myself on the wagon. I've been having a very difficult time since it turned cold and dark and gloomy. I haven't binged, but I have come close just about every day for the last 2 weeks. It has been a scarey emotional struggle. Lots of praying and hot baths.

3FC has helped a lot! Thank the Good Lord for 3 FC!!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 11-10-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #23  
You can call me Chantili

jellydisney

I do the same thing! I tend to overdo it on things like chocolate, yes, taco bell food, mmm mmm, breads, and lots of other high carb foods. As I read more about carbs, I am learning that my eating habits are actually causing the cravings to eat even more. Now I need to learn to battle that fight.

Zen Pharmacy

Yea, I do that as well... I get on the computer and find that I just don't want to get up and stop what I am doing. I have actually started leaving a small container of almonds by the recliner to make sure I have something to snack on during those periods between meals. I like your idea of packing the snacks with the highlighters! Good idea!

lipidful

BINGO!!! That is where this post stemmed from. I feel the same way, and I have no idea why it keeps happening! I can brush my teeth, but the only thing that does is prevent me from drinking orange juice.. lol... I am on a serious fight to figure all of this out.

Thighs Be Gone

yes, I understand. And based on some input from several other posters, I think that my loneliness and fear of what others think of me could be causing this same situation in my life. It is truly sad to feel safe being isolated, but that is how I have become.

BornToFly

lol... yea, I am certain that we could go on and on... it is amazing to me how all of these emotions can react so negatively with our desire for a healthier lifestyle. argh!!

Lori Bell

I have grown to hate eating in front of others. I feel like they judge everything I put in my mouth. It is the most horrible feeling. You say it has been a scarey emotional struggle, and yes, I agree 100%! It is such an emotional rollercoster. And to think, we are already dealing with these other emotions, only to have this food issue adding to the list of struggles. I, too, feel that I am very blessed to have found 3FC. I don't think I would have found motivation without it. I know I am a newbie, but I am one step closer to making this work and understanding why I do what I do!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have really appreciated the input from everyone. I realize that this issue is something that can be stemmed from many different things. All of your responses have caused me to look at myself and really try to pinpoint where I fall in this category. I have come to the conclusion that my difficulties are a result of all kinds of emotional issues, including, but not limited to loneliness, stress, boredom, filling a void (although not quite sure yet what that/those void(s) is/are.

I have decided to take a look at these issues to start with and try to determine what I can do to help battle these issues. I know that I can't solve them in one day, and it will take a long time to completely understand what triggers these eating habits. But hopefully, I am on a path that will lead me in the right direction.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #24  
Soon to be Thin

Countingdown

I totally agree with you about the skipping meals. If I dont keep a 3-4 hour flow of protein and/or fiber and water going into my system, there's nothing that will stop me from eating anything I can find to satisfy my binge. I eat quickly when I'm binging too because I know I can get more flavors to savor before getting full. Problem is, when my stomach catches up to my mouth, I usually feel nautious.

This was a good thread thanks!!
Pinot Grigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #25  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I binge when I'm:

* Stressed & tired

* Feeling overwhelmed (guess that would just be another word for "stressed" though)

* Lonely? Hadn't thought about it, but could be true for me too....

* Angry

* Needing instant "comfort"

* Wanting to feel that little high that comes from sugary/fatty food.

* Feeling rebellious against myself.

This last one is puzzling to me, but I do seem to rebel against myself and my new habits sometimes. It's kind of like my inner teen is waging a battle against the adult me.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #26  
You can call me Chantili

Apple Cheeks

How ironic that you say that about rebelling against yourself. I have done the same thing, and it is really really strange. I am not sure why my mind seems to want to sabotage me... But it seems to happen usually about a week after I start trying to make a change. This time, however, I have found this site, and hope that it will help prevent this phenomena.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #27  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

exhaustion plays a huge role these days for me...when i'm rested, it's much easier to win the internal argument and Just Back Away From The Cake. when i'm tired, i have less energy to flex my "resistance" muscle and use one of a dozen tools to talk myself out of it.
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #28  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Just a comment on the freefeeding for dogs - some dog breeds do not do well on freefeeding. I think this is important because I think the same is true of humans. Some people are born with a different hunger drive than others. Experience also plays a role in hunger, but there are biological and biochemical differences, as well.

For me, I've always thought that I was born without a hunger off-switch. Even after I ate until my stomache hurt, I still felt the urge to eat. I'm learning that carbs, especially concentrated and refined carbs, trigger crazy hunger in me, and a lower carb diet gives me that off-switch.

The why's aren't always important, and other times they can be vital to finding what works.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #29  
FB

I've never really eaten when not hungry - but have definitely had my share of overeating.

Before switching my life up I would wait until I was crazy mad ravenous and then eat way too much way too quickly, before my brain could register that I was full. It didn't help that I never preplanned and would go to the grocery store or drive-through hungry with my eyes always bigger than my stomach. By that point of hunger I wasn't particular about what I ate - I wanted something easy and fast, so I wasn't exactly eating very healthy!

I was guilty of skipping meals and eating huge amounts just once or twice a day, usually late in the day. Rarely ate breakfast.

I find that eating 5-6x per day really stops this old behavior.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I never preplanned and would go to the grocery store or drive-through hungry with my eyes always bigger than my stomach.
Oh I've definitely done that before. Yeah, I used to not eat all day, then go out to dinner and have appetiser, dinner, dessert ... and eat until I couldn't move.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote