Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/142/110

Height: 5'1

Question Do you have a free day or free meal?

I was just wandering how many people allow themselves a day or a meal where they don't worry about the calories.
Does doing that once a week actually help boost your matabolism or does eating a huge bacon burger with large fries and a pepsi just slow your progress down?
Luckymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #2  

I do not know about the metabolism part of your question, but I do not have one day a week as a free day because I do not have the willpower yet to behave myself for just one day. Right now I have gotten myself to the point where I am loving my raw veggies, steamed veggies and smaller serving sizes. I haven't had an upset stomach sense I begin eating better.

I think there will be some days that I will be less careful then others due to Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I am hoping I will be able by then to just have a small piece of pumpkin pie without wanting to follow it up with a bunch more carbs.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

For me it always stalled my weight loss to overeat at a big meal.

I'm a calorie counter, and I always count everything I eat--because my body does... I do sometimes consciously decide to go over my calories at a meal, but I try to compensate a bit elsewhere when I do.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I definitely don't have a planned one. I DO have days when I "Plan to deviate" - my birthday, for example, I planned to have both cake and a cocktail. But the rest of my food that day was on plan, and I ended up around 2000 calories.

I also, for special occasion meals, won't count...but I'm ordering healthy things. I may be at a restaurant and having an extra piece of bread, but I'm ordering grilled fish with veggies, you know? It's balance.

I find that I feel too good when eating good for me food...why give that up for one meal or one day worth of junk? I'd much rather have delicious, healthier foods (even if I eat a little MORE of the healthy stuff than I should, I don't feel sick/sluggish after like if I had a burger and fries and a coke).

I still eat burgers, though...just tend to get healthier ones (turkey burger) with a side of salad. Balance, balance, balance.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Nope. This is a lifestyle change for me. I eat the same every day, no matter what. My calories naturally go up and down a bit within a range, but I don't "cheat" by eating outside my plan.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/142/110

Height: 5'1

Ugh, I guess I'm just hungry and looking for an excuse to give into my cravings and have some greasy fried foods ( gross I know) but so yummy.
Gosh I am just not in the mood for any more grilled chicken ( dont like fish)
or cold salads.
*talking to myself* BE GOOD BE GOOD BE GOOD
Luckymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I plan to have treats sometimes that are quite a bit over my calorie range, but that is not often.

The problem with the free day is that it is *very* hard to get back on track afterwards. And 1 free day turns into 2, and then 3, and so on.

Setting aside a time when you know you are going to have an indulgence gives you absolute control over that. You don't have a whole day of free-for-all eating, and it makes it much easier to get back on track with the very next meal.

Course, this is just what works best for me
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #8  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I don't do treat days or meals because I could never control myself after them. A single meal would turn into two or three and then I'd be off track. I'm on plan every day, all the time. However, every 12 weeks I eat at maintenance levels for a week. I work them out and still use them as a plan (ie. I'll still hit my target, but it's a higher one).
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #9  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

My last free day turned into a free week, then a free 2 months, leading to a free 6 pound weight gain. It doesn't work for me!

Do I mess up while on plan? Yes! But just because I had the slice of chocolate birthday cake at work doesn't mean I should give up on the day altogether and go home and eat half of a pizza.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #10  
BELIEVE!

I don't really have a "free" anything. I count all my calories and log everything I eat. I will, however, let myself have one meal a week that is a little more than my usual lunch/dinner. I don't go over board...I still count the calories, but that one day of the week I might go over by a couple hundred calories. Having said that, in the 10 weeks I've been diligently counting calories I've only gone over 2-3 days. My personal trainer does encourage me to have that one sort of splurge (within reason) meal a week. Hopefully I've made sense with this post. I'm tired and my 3 year old son is not cooperating with sleep tonight.

Last edited by BarbPA; 10-10-2008 at 10:01 PM.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #11  

Height: 5'2"

I cheat every Saturday night. Nothing major, but I will have a delicious dinner and occasionally dessert. I feel it has helped my weight loss immensely.
Jpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #12  
No description available.

I do have a free day each week. It helps me stay on plan the rest of the week through delayed gratfication. Whether it slowed my loss, I can't say but I don't think so. My loss was slow when I started it cause I was almost at goal. My free day helps me not beat myself up mentally for those occasions where I do eat out or eat at friends or families' homes. My trainer is a big fan of free days for metabolism boosts. I'm not sure how much I buy it, but having a cupcake one day a week rather than 5 days or never is working well for me. I do get right back on plan the next day, and my free days are not binge-on-crap fests, but rather freedom to choose foods that I do not choose to eat the other 6 days a week. My weakness is a breakfast burrito with all the fixings. It is not realistic for me to never have one again, and I can make reasonable alternatives, but sometimes I just want the tortilla with the beans and the bacon and the cheese and plenty of it. But I don't have one on a whim and I don't have one every day or even every other day. I can have one on my free day----sometimes I don't, but when I do, I enjoy every bite and have zero guilt or regret because it is planned and controlled and "legal" in my life.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #13  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I still count but I let myself have one day a week where I eat a few more calories than I do the rest of the week. That's the day I can squeeze in the ONE thing I've been craving for days so it doesn't keep driving me crazy.

I calorie cycle a little anyway... I think it keeps me from stalling as bad.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I intend to eat this way, pretty much, for the rest of my life, so it has to be flexible enough to accomodate social situations and things I love. I don't have a formal free day, but I'm a little looser with my choices roughly about once a week. I find that's often enough to not feel deprived, but not so often that my habits start to change or I get cravings. On those occasions, I don't stuff myself or go all out with fast food. It more amounts to actually having dessert (I don't make sugar a daily thing) when something *worth* it comes along (and my dessert standards have gotten high), in a small or at least small-ish portion, and enjoying it guilt-free. Or a richer meal item. Or a margarita .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #15  

I'm not really in a position to advise, as I've been stalled for awhile now. But, having said that, I've found that since I know my patterns and weaknesses I can adjust accordingly. I'm a calorie counter, and, I know that on the weekends I tend to overendulge. What works best for me is to sort of horde my calories during the week and then splurge a bit on Saturday and Sunday. So Monday I may only eat 1000 calories, and during the week 1000-1300, but come the weekend I have enough saved to have a good 1700-1800 each day for a fair weekly average. It seems to work out well for me and I definitely don't feel too deprived because I know I'll get to indulge later. Again, I'm kind of at a stagnant point, but, this has really been a great way for me to stay with in my calories. I'm looking at the weekly average rather than the daily numbers. And as Julie08 just said, I also intend to eat this way for the rest of my life.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote