Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #1  
:)

Height: 5'7

Default My "scale" is driving me insane!

Good evening chickies!

For those of you who enjoy the Wii Fit, I am one of you! I love mine and I use it all the time.

My mother went to the doc's office a few days ago and when she weighed on the Wii Fit the difference was 15 pounds! (Not the good 15 pound difference either.)

I weighed in two days ago at 281, steady slow loss. Then today I was told I weight 272!

Any other Wii Fit owners have this dilemma?

And no, I don't have a "real" scale, but apparently I really need one.
oneupsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/250/125

Height: 5'6"

Hehe...

I have a "real" scale - a glass digital scale - and it does the same thing....

So, I don't have a Wii yet, but I'm in the same boat.:
jessikerlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

I had one and while I didn't have that big of difference, it definitely fluctuated a lot. I didn't have a real scale either at the time so I'm not sure what the difference was. I ended up giving the Wii Fit to my nieces, wasn't real impressed with it.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #4  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

Yeah... I think my troubles are DEFINITELY User Error, though.. I have a regular scale (which I already know is on the fritz.. lol) And I'll weigh, say, 172. Then I'll get on my wii fit, and because I'm wearing sweatpants, and a light sweatshirt, I'll say my clothes are "heavy" (-4), so I'll end up weighing somewhere around 167.
I figure if I stay consistent enough, and say "light" when I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and "heavy" when I'm wearing pants and a sweatshirt, it won't hurt me too much.

But I love my Wii Fit I just wish there was a pilates/ballet component to it! And it seems like, sometimes, it unlocks poses later--that would have been better in the beginning (like STARTING with plank, then moving into push-up/side-plank...) But that's just my humble opinion
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 313/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I have a Wii Fit, but I never trust the number it gives me...I think it's really inaccurate. On the other note of scales driving people crazy...I just said to my fiance this morning "This scale is my nemisis" LOL
nicoledg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #6  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

I always wear the same thing when I use my WiiFit - yoga pants and a tank top. I say they weigh nothing, so my WiiFit weight is about 2 pounds above my regular weight. It's still a good way to measure progress.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #7  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

I find my wii fit is pretty accurate. Last night it half a pound higher than my regular scale. I also think it's good for progress.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

I am considering getting one for us for the Christmas holiday. Do you set the scale/pad thingy on carpet or on a hard surface? We would have to use it in our living room, which is carpeted. Also, what "games" would you recommend for *me* for workout/yoga/weightloss? I figure to get the basic for the family, and then add whatever else is needed, afterwards. Thanks for any help! (can't wait to see the kids' faces when they open this gift - they'll never see this coming!)
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #9  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

my dog didn't like my scale so he decided to pea on it and not just once
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I find that as long as my scale is consistent with itself, I'm fine. I refuse to weight myself on other scales though- it only messes with me. Who cares if I'm really 210 but my scale says 207? As long as my scale accurately reflects my change in weight, we're fine.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #11  
:)

I think I may have solved the problem.

Aren't scales "calibrated" and if you treat them with carelessness, they don't work as well?

I caught my little brother placing the Wii Fit down in a different place, and he slammed it! I said, "Be careful!", and he said, "I always do that!".

oneupsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 179/150/140

When you go on wii fit it asks you to predict how many lbs your clothing weighs...it's VERY easy to exaggerate how much a bunch of fabric is, and the wii fit will subtract that from her actual weight.

Also, if she went to the doctors in the middle of the day after eating, drinking, fully clothed, she'll get a different result than if she weighed herself in her underwear in the morning on an empty tummy.

The first week I got it I didn't trust it- every morning I would weigh myself in my underwear (not subtracting any weight for clothing) and then go weigh myself on my bathroom scale. Got the same result every time.
Hypra is offline   Reply With Quote