Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #1  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Default I Need Advice: Breakfast for dinner?

Let me start this off by saying I am pretty mad right now, so it will most likely com across in my post. Sorry.

I have been having a hard time losing weight. This has been going on for just shy of two years. One year and 9 months if you want to be specific.

In 2006 I lost 50 pounds in 10 months. I think December 9, 2006 was on the last days I saw a real loss. I have done nothing by gain and lose and gain ever since. Right now I am up almost 15 pounds and very frustrated. I can eat good and exercise and follow plan and lose 1 pound every 3 weeks - or I can go to Vegas for a week, not make the most perfect choice and walk 10 miles a day and gain 6 pounds in as many days... and I am not talking water weight. I can not seem to lose and gain VERY easily. So I went to the doctor and had blood work, everything is fine.

Then I saw a post here about some people that noticed they have a harder time losing weight while on birth control, after looking up my birth control I noticed I have some of the side effect (loss of sex drive, easily irritated) - I know these things are part of getting older as well. So I thought I would go to my doctor. What does he do? Gives me some stupid diet and tells me he doesnt have time to talk about my birth control. So I left here wondering if my birth control could be a problem... BTW does anyone know, if you can develop side effects after being on it for years? Or I am just getting older?

Onto 'THE DIET'

50% of calories for breakfast - like dinner, steak, potatoes, whatever
30% of calories for lunch - half a sandwitch, salad or soup
20% of calories for dinner - steamed veggies, no butter, no salt

OKay, so maybe this works?? anyone?
How does one stick to this? The world revolves around dinner. What do you do with your friends, go for dinner. Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas dinner - dinner is the only meal my boyfriend and I eat together. So I start cooking dinner but dont eat it until the next morning?

I thought a 'diet' was supposed to be something you can stick to for life? I CAN not stick to this. This is like telling me to go low-carb!

If I TRY and do this short term and go back to eating normally and I am going to gain all my weight back? I mean, assuming I keep eating the same amount of calories. Does that make sense? He wants me to come back in a month and see how I am doing. I don't even know if I can last a month. A month of eating steamed veggies for dinner? He told me to not even eat salad! because the dressing is usually too oily. I cant even have a slice of bread with my dinner.

I mean this just sounds way out to left field. He says there was this study.... argh I need something I can stick to otherwise I might as well just stay being fat.

But I dunno, if I could do it short time.... lose weight and then go back to eating normally.

I am dunno, I am mad. I am stuck with a stupid diet, no birth control advice and I had to wait for him for half an hour.

Help

I mean if you guys think this could actually work I will give it a try, I just could not stick it. Probably not even for a month...

As it is right now - I have 24 WW points. Today for example.

8 used by 10am
6 for lunch
1 for afternoon snack
8 for dinner

so I eat a lot in the morning as is and I am still starving by lunch and dinner.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

That diet sounds ridiculous to me. Of course, I am not a professional, but if I went to my doctor with specific questions and she told me she didn't have time for me, I would be shopping for a new doctor. Especially if she handed me a diet like that.

Personally, I do go heavier on my AM calories, but if I don't save enough for dinner, I am STARVING (as I am right now, as a matter of fact). I also dealt with a year-long stall after losing my first 30 pounds, and the thing that finally broke it for me was carb control. I don't really eat low carb, though I don't eat a lot of whole grains. I get a lot of my carbs from vegetables (and from the oatmeal I sometimes eat for breakfast), but I don't eat carbs after about 3:00 pm. If I do, I don't lose weight. If I keep up the carbs at night for too long, I start to gain, even if I'm within my calories.

I've pretty much diagnosed myself as insulin resistant, since I have all the symptoms and follow the diet. Books about insulin resistance or Syndrome X might help you figure out if you have any of the symptoms associated with insulin resistance. Check your local library for The Insulin Resistance Diet.

Maybe this isn't your problem at all, but it's something to think about. I certainly don't think you should try eating nothing but vegetables for dinner. I eat a lot of veggies at dinner, but I eat protein to help keep me full as well. I don't know too many people who could stick to the diet your doctor prescribed.

And if you do none of the above, at least find a new doctor. One who will spend some time doing their job.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/154 CW/140-145ish GW

Height: 5'6.5"

This is just my opinion, and I am certainly not a doctor, but I would steer clear of any plan that makes me think "well, I'll do this and then I can go back to eating normally" - has this doctor been your doctor for very long? It doesn't sound like he really heard your actual question, which was "is my birth control affecting my weight loss?" I would look at why you felt he didn't hear you. If you aren't sure if you articulated it correctly, that is one thing, but if you feel that you did and then just got this diet you don't think you can do, I would consider looking for a different doctor.

As for the eating plan itself, I know that could never work for me personally, but that's not to say it couldn't work for you or someone else. You could always try it for a set period of time and then decide if it is something you feel you can stick with. I think one of the most important things in a weight loss journey is finding that plan that works for you and your lifestyle long term. Sometimes that means the weight will come off much more slowly (that's how it's worked for me anyway).
jenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Get a new doctor. You need someone that will address your concerns. You might want a workup for insulin resistance. You also might want to see a registered dietician...they can help you work out a plan for life that will work for you.

Good luck, you are right to be angry!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

This hasn't been my doctor for long. And it COULD half been my fault that brought this on.

I was the last person of the day and he was half an hour late. Not my fault, but I am sure he was eager to get home - though still bad on his part.

I said to him I was having a really hard time with losing weight and I read somewhere that birth control can affect that. He said that only in the first fe w months not years later. And then he went on to this crazy diet and all this studies. Maybe I put too much emphases into the fact I was having troubles with weight loss. When I tried to get back to the track of my birth control, said I had a low sex drive and all that he asked if we could talk about it later because his staff needed to go home. Maybe I should have just been more firm.

I just got rid of a horrible doctor, I would like to give this one a shot. Doctors here are REALLY hard to get, only reason he took me was because my boyfriend sees him.

Also, when I said if I go back to eating normally... I ment like could I reverse and would I gain? I didn't mean like pig out, I just mean reverse the meals again. Like would it have the same effect as following a 1200 cal diet and then doing back to eating micky's d's when you have lost your weight.

I have been doing weight watchers and I can stick to it and like it, and I told the doctor that - he was very happy and said it was one of the best plans to follow. My big problem, is it doesnt seem to be working that great for me.

Last edited by sotypical; 09-09-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Just because your doctor told you to follow this doesn't mean you have to. What's he going to do, fire you? Find another doctor if necessary, and ask for a referral to a dietitian if you want a more personalized program. Most doctors don't learn much about nutrition or weight loss, and this diet seems weird to me. I think eating more earlier in the day rather than later may be a good strategy, but it doesn't have to be this extreme.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 09-09-2008 at 09:51 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

Here are some of my day's if you wonder what sort of things I eat:

Today
Yesterday
Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #8  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Just because your doctor told you to follow this doesn't mean you have to. What's he going to do, fire you? Find another doctor if necessary, and ask for a referral to a dietitian if you want a more personalized program. Most doctors don't learn much about nutrition or weight loss, and this diet seems weird to me. I think eating more earlier in the day rather than later may be a good strategy, but it doesn't have to be this extreme.

Jay
I know I don't have to! haha
I am just at the point where I am like... feel like I want to give up.

I am happy with what I am doing though, I feel like for the most part (at least 80% of the time) I eat good and enjoy the meals I make. I am just not losing.

I don't really care to see a dietitian because I feel like I am doing pretty good on my own. I feel like I shouldn't complain then... but argh!

Least I feel better after letting it all out, and know I am not the only one who thinks he is crazy! LOL
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #9  
99 lbs. Gone!

WW didn't work for me either.
ToutDeSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

I just read the symptoms of insulin resistant - and I have a lot of them. I guess a lot of them are kinda common. Tired, Feeling agitated, jittery and moody - all that. This is embarrassing, but the big one was gas! I dunno about low blood sugar, but I know that my blood pressure is normal.

They did a test for diabetes and that was fine. Is this a different test they need to do?

But I am probably reading too much into this - I have read a few things lately with similar symptoms... like thyroid - why I got the blood tests in the first place.

Last edited by sotypical; 09-09-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

In my experience most doctors know diddly squat about losing weight. Just like a lot of people, many of them have their pet theories on dieting, but ... dieting and losing weight are, IMO, two completely different things!

Also IMO, that diet sounds ridiculous. It's another gimmick, not a sustainable way of life for most people.

Personally the only thing that has worked consistently for me is calorie counting combined with more exercise. For me, calorie counting allows me to eat what I want (within my range) when I want. I find that I tend to lose better if I eat several small meals/snacks throughout the day rather than 3 big meals.

But this is all PERSONAL. We all lose differently and part of the process is finding out what works for you. To be told that any plan is one-size-fits-all by a doctor is just plain silly!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical View Post
I just read the symptoms of insulin resistant - and I have a lot of them. I guess a lot of them are kinda common. Tired, Feeling agitated, jittery and moody - all that. This is embarrassing, but the big one was gas! I dunno about low blood sugar, but I know that my blood pressure is normal.

They did a test for diabetes and that was fine. Is this a different test they need to do?

But I am probably reading too much into this - I have read a few things lately with similar symptoms... like thyroid - why I got the blood tests in the first place.
If your doctor already did some blood work you could ask what your blood sugar is like.

Having looked at your diet for those two days is pretty similar to how I use to eat... all healthy food (except fried chicken), but it kept me at a plateau for a couple years despite thinking I was being good and exercising... like you. Honestly though, if your diet/exercise routine isn't working it needs some adjustments. If it were me, I would avoid fruit juices, fried foods, and crackers, and save fruits and toast for either breakfast or after working out. Smoothies are nice, but too high in natural sugar... save them for a cheat day instead.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Augh!

Be prepared for the f$@!ing runaround when you ask about your birth control. I had the same thing happen to me (could NOT lose weight for the life of me but would gain it very easily, turned into a raging psychopath, lost my sex drive completely, started shedding scalp hair excessively, got acne again like when I was 15) and it actually did take about four years for me to start to experience all of the symptoms collectively. The onset was gradual and became worse with time. I was taking Seasonale, then Levlin. They're the same exact pill in different packaging. I wish I would have known that when they switched me to it after I first complained. I would have known they were just trying to do the mind trick placebo thing and hope that if I thought I was taking something different my symptoms would magically go away. They didn't.

It got to the point that once my husband made some snide joke about my mood swings which was obviously well deserved because had there been a rifle within reach I would have shot him. I would go from perfectly normal, to sobbing hysterically, to a fit of rage (and we're talking cussing, screaming like a banshee and hurling objects at PEOPLE) and back to sobbing and apologizing in the space of 5 minutes. Over stupid crap, like the garbage not being taken out, or the computer running too slow. If I ran my hands through my hair I would end up with a bunch of strands in my fingers, and sex had actually gotten to the point that it was painful and no matter what I just couldn't get aroused at all. I was at my wits end and when I had my yearly I made sure to tell my doctor about my weight with the pills first... She told me, and I quote, "Well, those pills don't have any calories." WHAT!?!!?!?!?

I did yell, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?" and I suspect I must have looked about as wild as I felt (I hadn't yet told her I had turned into a sexless pimple-faced raving lunatic) because she looked a little taken aback and then tried to placate me and asked if I wanted some water. Then I proceeded to explain the other symptoms to her and she had no problems believing me. LoL.

She switched me to Yaz which is estrogen based as opposed to the synthetic testosterone in most other pills and over the next few months all the libido, hair, and emotional problems went away. For the first time in quite a few years I felt like me again! It's perfectly possible to maintain my weight very easily and lose it (ie: i'm still losing weight even though I eat whatever I want, and maintenance requires minimal physical activity. A day of gardening outdoors, or an hour of house keeping.) My husband was certainly happy as a clam and even told me how relieved he was to have his wife back.

Then on top of all that, my skin is flawless and I sprouted breasts.

Definitely mention the B.C. and don't let them try to convince you otherwise. There are far too many of us experiencing the same symptoms for them to keep up that 'it's not the pills' B.S. Just note that it may take awhile and a lot of different contraceptive trials before you find the right one for you.

Good luck sweetie, and I feel your pain. A lot of us have been in those shoes and it's miserable and frustrating. Just keep your head up.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #14  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurie View Post
If your doctor already did some blood work you could ask what your blood sugar is like.

Having looked at your diet for those two days is pretty similar to how I use to eat... all healthy food (except fried chicken), but it kept me at a plateau for a couple years despite thinking I was being good and exercising... like you. Honestly though, if your diet/exercise routine isn't working it needs some adjustments. If it were me, I would avoid fruit juices, fried foods, and crackers, and save fruits and toast for either breakfast or after working out. Smoothies are nice, but too high in natural sugar... save them for a cheat day instead.
Just a couple things... my fried chicken is not fried chicken, it is a baked chicken breast with a whole wheat coating to make it like fried chicken. Also the smoothie is all natural fruit and very little juice - I drink it more for the benefits of the superfoods I use in it. The way I am eating now is somewhat new. I am trying to eat my WW points and at least 10 superfood groups a day.

I have been adjusting it for two years now.

What did you change? What were you doing wrong?

Last edited by sotypical; 09-10-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #15  
Starting Fresh

NishKitten - thank you so much for you post! I am almost in tears. My hair too has been falling out, and getting acne... and I have the mood swings though not the degree you describe. Thank you, thank you! I feel a little less crazy now.