Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #1  
I feel GREAT!

S/C/G: 228/145/135

Height: 5'5

Unhappy What I look like and What I am?!

Why do I look like I weigh less than I really do???
I am having a hard time here. Like yesterday I was watching myself in the mirror during my workout class, and I was thinking to myself.."wow jen, you are really looking good!!" I was impressed with the way I looked for once in a longgggg time. My scale wont budge though, it jumps 179 to 177 to 179.5 to 177.5 to 174 to 177. I dont get it!! My dad asked so where you at these days on the scale I told him and he said you look less that that by far. I know they say inches is better compared to "weight". I also went on a 40 mile )YES 40 mile bike ride on saturday and you would think the weight would go down!! I have been working out 4-5 days a week. Im sorry i just wanted to vent a little!!
I just keep getting stuck on the scale number when I know its the overall inches and weight.
thatgirl1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #2  
carinna

It definately sounds like you're in "tone" mode - losing inches instead of pounds. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing ) Are you eating enough? If you are working out as much as you say you are, and not taking in enough calories, your body could be going into starvation mode, and holding on to every ounce of fat you have. Something to think about.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Maybe it's time to put that scale out of the way for awhile.

Weight /= Fat. Weight does not equal fat. You may be carrying more muscle or water than you think. Go by inches for a month or two. Then maybe pull out the scale to see where it is.

(Not to mention, people who say "Oh you don't look like you weigh suchandsuch" often don't know what people of different weights actually do look like.)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Faerie. If you feel good about how you look, don't let a stupid number get you down. Stress is bad for weight loss, and you're stressing yourself out!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 394/See Wt Tracker!/180

Height: 5"10

You sound like you are doing awesome, I agree with the others, don't obsess with the #'s ...look in the mirror...

Make you smile...then dont change things !

Elliott
BldBlue1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Are you taking your measurements ? You might be losing inches. I agree with staying off the scale for awhile.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #7  
I feel GREAT!

S/C/G: 228/145/135

Height: 5'5

Thanks for all your quick repsonses! I think I am gonna put that scale away at least for a few days! The toning and muscles I think are what is doing it!!(carinna) Thanks so much!! I get my measurements every 16th of each month. Last measurment I was at 27 1/2 inches loss, in a 5 month span.
thatgirl1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Big workouts like a 40 mile ride (you go, girl!) will also cause you to retain water like crazy as your muscles repair and get stronger. Enjoy looking good, you're working hard for it!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #9  

Height: 5'6"

Don't trip up over the numbers !! Hahhaha...But that was the BEST opening sentence ever! "Why do I look like I weigh less than I do!!" Isn't that good? The scale will catch up!

Keep in there and just scold your scale. Maybe it'll work better next week? `
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote