Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 480/480/160

Default Why Should I Even Try to Lose Weight?

It's a fact that 98% of diet attempts fail.

It's a fact that food is better than just about anything.

Why should I or anyone else attempt something that is so futile that I only to be disappointed when I fail?

A lot of fat people claim to have low self esteem but in reality they don't. In fact a study of the MMPI shows that fat people actually have higher self esteem than "normal" people and much higher self esteem than anorexics. Why should I wreck my self esteem with a diet failure?

Comments?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 8"

Because you can be one of the 2% that doesn't fail.

And that's all I have to say about that
Old 08-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

If you feel good and you are healthy, then you shouldn't try to lose weight.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I had those same thoughts before this weight loss attempt, as I struggled with everything at 295 pounds.

I mentioned to my husband that I had always failed before, so why bother? He said something like: "Well, with that attitude, failure is guaranteed!"

I tried, and so far, I've succeeded.

I've learned a lot over the past few years -- and yes, it IS tough to lose AND maintain. But a big reason people gain weight back is because they go "on" diets, lose weight, and then go "off" diets and gain it back. People who lose weight using a plan they can stick with for LIFE are more successful. I urge you to check out our wonderful maintainers forum for more information.

I'm not trying to say this is easy. It's not. Some days I think my body wants me to gain a lot of weight back (and there's research to suggest that's true). But I do know that losing over 100 pounds has given me my life back, and I'm loath to relinquish it.

Last edited by Heather; 08-14-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #5  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
If you feel good and you are healthy, then you shouldn't try to lose weight.
I feel OK now. I have free drugs for my diabetes. I have free pain meds. They can repair my joints for free. I have a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea. I have a handicap licence plate and Wal-Mart has the scooters. I can have glorious food delivered. Why should I give up all that for the long odds of losing 200+ pounds? I'd be a fool to try.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #6  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

If you don't want it enough to over look the statistics and put everything in to it regardless, then you don't want it bad enough and you will fail. It's pretty much that simple. It's difficult, sure. But it's simple.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #7  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

You don't have to! No one has to do anything besides eat, sleep, um... go bathroom. The real question is: if you really think about it, consider how you feel, how you feel about yourself, and the state of your health, do you *want* to lose weight? Based on those things, should you lose weight? Would anything in your life improve if you did? If you want to, then you should try. But you do not have to!

ETA: I'm just making the distinction here because, at least speaking personally, there is a big difference between what I *want* to do and what I *have to* do... people often half-*** what they feel they have to do, procrastinate about it, whine about it, whatever. But if you think about it and you *WANT* to do something... you can actually maybe get excited about it, give it 100%, have fun, etc.

In terms of most diets failing and it being useless to try: It's not. The useless thing is falling into a dieting mentality, where you change your behaviors just enough to drop the weight, and then immediately go back to what you were doing before the loss. THAT is a "going on a diet." What works, longterm, is making sustainable changes to your lifestyle, things you can do *forever* that will not only take off the weight, but keep it off.

Last edited by KLK; 08-14-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #8  

Sometimes I feel the same way....but if I'm really honest with myself I would like to have some of this weight off. I don't want to have to rely on meds to take pain away. I want to live my life to fullest and not wonder what people are thinking about the fat lady. It all comes down to having to loose the weight for yourself!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

Well if you have pain meds, diabetes, need a scooter and need to have food delivered to you, then it sounds like weight loss can at least extend your life. If all that is related to diabetes and your weight, you're not going to live as long as you should. But, if you think you'd be a fool to try, why are you here?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #10  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think you got some wonderful advice...especially from Heather, who is a true inspiration to me and many other people on this borad. It sounds like you are not in good health. I'm not really sure by the tone of your posts if you want to be convinced to do this or if you want to be convinced not to. I'm sorry if I am misreading this, but it's so hard to catch subtelties when they are in print. If you really want help getting motivated, then I'm sure many of us will do our best to motivate you. If you are feeling down and hopeless, then I can tell you that many people here (myself inculded) can relate and would like to help. If, however, you are trying to prove that it's not worth your while, and is a bad idea, and that being on meds is fine because they are free and getting around is fine if you have a scooter, then I certainly don't know what to say. This is a wonderful site and I don't think you would be here unless you were reaching out for help, but again, I could be wrong. Either way, good luck to you.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #11  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

S/C/G: 300/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
It's a fact that 98% of diet attempts fail.

It's a fact that food is better than just about anything.

Why should I or anyone else attempt something that is so futile that I only to be disappointed when I fail?

A lot of fat people claim to have low self esteem but in reality they don't. In fact a study of the MMPI shows that fat people actually have higher self esteem than "normal" people and much higher self esteem than anorexics. Why should I wreck my self esteem with a diet failure?

Comments?
It's a fact that 100% who never begin fail, and, 100% of those who succeed started.

It's a fact that many things are better than food - LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH - and very sad fact that so many of us are seduced by foods into forfeiting our lives and opportunities.

Hard things are not futile, just HARD.

If you are willing to fail, you will. In that case, it may be best not to start until you won't accept failure.

Failure is not a failure until you refuse to get back up and go again.

Fewer "failures" through "failing to try" won't boost your self esteem bu weaken it.

Trying, and overcoming failures (failed attempts), gives the kind of strength and strengthened self-esteem that can't be earned any other way.

Forget failures. They are just steps in the stairway to your dreams.

Excuses are the slide into a downward spiral. Notice they are free.

Effort costs.

If you really want to do something for yourself, do.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I have free drugs for my diabetes. I have free pain meds. They can repair my joints for free. I have a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea. I have a handicap licence plate and Wal-Mart has the scooters. I can have glorious food delivered. Why should I give up all that for the long odds of losing 200+ pounds? I'd be a fool to try.
Because that doesn't sound like much of a life.
And because if you buy into statistics, then if you try 99 times, one of those times you are guaranteed to be successful, you just don't know which one. Maybe it will be the first try.
Of course if you know anything about statistics, you know that value of that number you quoted depends totally on the population examined and the definitions of "diet" and "success". I have lost 65 lbs without being on a diet, just by changing my lifestyle, so obviously I don't count.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 08-14-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #13  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icandoit2 View Post
Sometimes I feel the same way....but if I'm really honest with myself I would like to have some of this weight off. I don't want to have to rely on meds to take pain away. I want to live my life to fullest and not wonder what people are thinking about the fat lady. It all comes down to having to loose the weight for yourself!
It would seem then that the reward of tasty high calorie food trumps just about everything for you and I and 98% of fat people. For me it certainly is not a matter of can't it is simply a matter of won't because I don't think I want it. I know what I "need" to do. Heck we all do. For me I was raised to be selfish and I think about our short time on this dreadful planet and I am going for all the pleasure I can get.

I have next to now interest in sex or relationships because it is too much trouble. Food never lets me down and it never ignore my pleas. Why should I give that up? I am like most Americans. I am greedy and self centered. My function or purpose is to consume. What else is there really?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #14  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
Food never lets me down and it never ignore my pleas. Why should I give that up? I am like most Americans. I am greedy and self centered. My function or purpose is to consume. What else is there really?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #15  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Nobody else here is going to be able to give you even one good reason to lose weight if you are so adamantly against it. If you don't want it, don't do it. But if you're convinced you don't want it - why are you wasting your time on a weight loss forum?
Closed Thread