What non weight improvements have you noticed?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I wanted to start a thread about physical signs that our health is improving aside from weight.

Tomorrow marks the first week of South Beach Diet for me and three weeks of not eating any processed (mostly not eating any!) foods.

Here's what I've noticed:

-my protein level has increased to low-mid normal range when it's always been too low. (because of my job I get to check it every week)

-My iron level was higher, still low but not as close to dangerous.

My skin has cleared up... even on my period! Wowsers! not red faced for the last couple of days! (my red face was chronic, not a skin problem, just always flushed).

I've noticed less oily skin, less itching and irritated skin. (also a chronic face problem)

Less crazy mood swings I'm still a bit irritable, but I think I'm not getting enough sleep. In general I feel much more stable and generally more energetic, but don't take away my diet cokes yet!

-Sciana

What changes have you noticed?
  • I have noticed that my knees hurt less often, and my cholesterol is much better already!
  • 1. Cleaner house! No, seriously. To cook healthy meals, I need a clean kitchen, and once the kitchen is clean, I clean everything else.

2. Better control of anxiety, depression, and insomnia symptoms.

3. A bajillion times more energy.

4. Smaller shoe size (they were a size 11 before, so this is no small deal)
  • More energy, overall happier, and more endurance
  • I dont know if I completely understand what process food are. Could you gals help educating me in this?
  • I can wear heels for longer and walk in wedge sandels that used to be killer.

I feel like I have more control over my own life!!! I have so much confidence back
  • Hey JazzyJazz,

Processed foods are like--refined sugar, refined enriched flour, white rice... Any food that has been pre-made in such a way that it contains stuff like added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, "flavor agents," etc.

What else, chicks?

Jay
  • Thank you Jay!

I have to say this website is the best thing I have ever ran into.

• More energy, good skin, awesome physicals where doctors are impressed with my test results. I love being able to easily cut my own toenails. It was such a gasping, out of breath big deal before.
  • Like mandalinn, my feet have gotten smaller, by a half size already!

I am spending less money on eating out - I have decided it is not worth it to get mediocre food of questionable quality when I can usually do it better myself!

I can run for 7 minutes now without stopping - I couldn't even do that in middle school! When I first started running I could barely make it a full minute...
  • Amanda, you give a new hope - maybe my feet will shrink, too!
    In my case, it is more about the width than the length. I am size 9 - 9.5 but I regularly buy size 10 to squeeze my platypus-nose shaped feet in them.

I think my skin is doing better, I see less signs of rosacea (although my rosacea comes and goes), in spite of the fact that I am constantly eating tomatoes and strawberries - both a no-no for rosacea.
  • i have found that my asthma has improved quite a bit, I dont know if thats because my fitness has improved or because my breathing patterns have improved. Maybe both
  • Quote: Hey JazzyJazz,

Processed foods are like--refined sugar, refined enriched flour, white rice... Any food that has been pre-made in such a way that it contains stuff like added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, "flavor agents," etc.

What else, chicks?

Jay
    Some examples of processed foods would include foods that have been changed from their natural states - usually lots of fat, sodium, sugar, and other preservatives are added. Usually the food is cooked at high heat and packaged. Processed foods generally do not "go bad" for a long time. They aren't all bad, but many are not the best for your body.

Some typical processed foods

-Junk food (chips, snack cakes, etc.)
    -hot dogs, lunch meats
    -Most frozen meals like Hot Pockets (or Lean Pockets)
    -Frozen pizza, bagel bites, poppers, etc.
    -Lots of cereals, especially sweet ones
    -Most crackers like Ritz, Triscuits, etc, especially if they contain hydrogenated oil

Non processed foods are also call 'whole' foods or sometimes 'clean' foods, as in 'eating clean.' Foods like whole grains, veggies, etc. I read something that said most of the food you eat should pass the "Rot Rule" -- if you leave it out on your counter for a few days and it wouldn't rot, it's usually not good for you. Of course, there are exceptions to this!
  • 1. LOADS of energy
    2. Good, regular, stomach-ache free digestion
    3. Able to not just climb flights of stairs, but RUN UP THEM
    4. More self-confidence
    5. Better hair and skin
  • That is too funny but so right on. It is much easier to cut my toenails!!!

I wish my house was cleaner but living in an all male household plus a dog, I pretty much give up.

My lung capacity is so much improved and that happened quickly.
    I don't dread taking the stairs when colleagues lead me there.
    I don't worry about the chair I'm about to sit in.
    I go to bed earlier at night because I have been more active.
    I ride a bike.
    I could go on and on- it is really amazing-I need to hold on to this feeling forever.