Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #1  
me me me

S/C/G: 168/150/120

Height: 5'2"

Default what if i'm not hungry?

According to FitDay, I have eaten about 770 calories today.

It's 11:00 PM. No way am I eating so close to bedtime - I'll feel sluggish in the morning. But I'm just not hungry at all. I haven't eaten since 3pm.

I've been eating 1100-1500 calories a day pretty regularly recently, but a couple of days I was at about 950 for the same reason. I really don't feel hungry.

And I'm aware I am probably underestimating my calories... but 770 is low, even if I'm underestimating.

Should I eat more than my 1400 calories tomorrow? Or just let it go? What to do when you aren't hungry and don't see the point in eating?
s0nali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

It depends. There are a couple of days in my cycle where I really don't have much of an appetite (probably to balance out the 2 days before where I'm ravenous!) and I don't sweat it. I don't think it's unusual to have some "lean" days, but be aware that it isn't recommended to go below 1200 calories a day.

If you continue to feel so apathetic about eating I would check with a doctor to make sure something else isn't going on.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 AM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Just a stab in the dark, but could it be that your diet is fibrous and thats filling you up? Its hard, i have days like that too, and i worry about getting enough nutrition while not getting back into the habit of eating when im not hungry
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 AM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I second junebug's idea. The two days before my TOM are my no food days. I can't stand the sight, smell, taste of anything edible (or inedible). I've survived on veggie salads with chicken for the last 72 hours, and even those are making me queasy. I highly doubt I've gone about 700 calories a day.

If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. If my blood sugar gets low, and I'm still not hungry, I choke something down anyway.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:36 AM   #5  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

surely if ur body is telling you your not hungry there is no reason to eat....
i dont eat unless im hungry....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:10 AM   #6  
diosa

S/C/G: 216/157/124

Height: 5' 3"

If it's only once in a while that you don't eat a sufficient amount of calories, then I don't think it's so bad. But if it becomes a habit, then I think you should really be concerned. When I'm not hungry, I still try to get something in my body (a few carrot sticks or a banana), so my body can stay fueled.
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

An occasional day of eating below 1200 won't do you any harm--it's when you are consistently, day in and day out, trying to survive on less than 1200 that it's not recommended. The reason is that you can't get enough nutrients unless it's a carefully constructed, medically supervised program.

I'd say, it depends on your eating history. If you have any ED behaviors in your past, you have to be careful about being "not hungry."

If you haven't ever engaged in ED behaviors, then it's OK not to eat if you're not hungry, but as Robot says, you should try to have a little food just to keep going. What can sometimes happen is a person can go from not hungry to ravenous in about ten minutes.

If it's just before bed, no reason to eat just to meet a calorie goal.

It sounds like your day is pretty loose when it comes to meal times. It might help to set some, just so you be sure to check how you feel at those times.

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Not hungry? What is that?

I second Jay's point that it seems like you don't have much routine to your eating schedule. If you develop daily "eating times", your body will adjust and be hungry at the appropriate times of day.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Something else to consider, is that if you regularly eat at a very low calorie level (getting into the habit of having 700, 800, 900, and 1000 calorie days) then your stomach is going to adjust, therefore, you will not FEEL hungry even though your body is getting malnourished.

It is just like when you first start watching your calorie intake. The first few days are usually hard, because you feel hungry-your stomach is used to processing a larger quantity of food.

I would be careful...because you can actually "not feel hungry" and begin malnourishing yourself.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Even when I don't feel hungry, I try to force myself to eat something(usually with protein) as with a little time(usually later in the day), I start getting this weak degenerative feeling, mostly in my arms, that I would describe as feeling my body eat it's own muscles. Whether or not that's the case, it's creepy so I at least try to get 1,000 calories and enough protein every day. Just try not to let it happen too often...
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I'd say, it depends on your eating history. If you have any ED behaviors in your past, you have to be careful about being "not hungry." Good luck! Jay
This is very true. If, like me, you've been a chronic dieter you may have taught yourself not to recognize hunger. I went through a similar dilemma when I was just getting started on *clean* eating - I went from eating very little food that was totally crappy stuff to (what seemed at the time) a huge volume of the good stuff and had to practically force myself to get in even 1000 calories because I felt like I was stuffed all the time. What really helped me was strict planning of my meals and making sure I got 75 to 80% of my calories in before dinner. In the beginning, I had to set the alarm on my cell phone to remind me when to eat but my body has begun adapting to my new schedule and now lets me know in no uncertain terms that it's time to feed it

I will still occasionally have a particularly busy day and may miss a snack or end up with an abbreviated lunch and fall a little short of my target calories but I treat it exactly the same way as if I go a little over - I don't worry about making any adjustment the next day other than paying closer attention to making sure I'm right back OP.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #12  
No description available.

I think that as a long as it is occasional, it is okay. But I would not make a habit out of eating that little.

In a way our bodies are machines and we need fuel. I eat to support my body's health and activities (mostly, I also eat sometimes for pleasure, but I really try to toe the line for health).

I run most mornings. I have been running about 3-4 miles and when I come home I am ravenous. So I usually have no problem eating after a run. Today I pushed up my mileage to 7 miles. I was surprised when I got home that I was NOT hungry. Very strange for me.

I ate anyway. My body needs fuel. I need to replace the carbs I burned and make sure I protect my muscle. I need fiber and fats to keep my body working right. I need protein to keep me full and going until my morning snack. If I chose to not eat because I was not hungry, I think that would have been a poor choice. My body needs breakfast and fluids after a 7 mile run. No questions.

One of the mantras of weight loss is: eat breakfast! I've been here long enough to see how many people eat before they start their weight loss journey. Many people with weight problems don't eat breakfast, often wimp out on a good lunch, but then eat a lot of calories for dinner. Experts often advise breakfast as an important part of weight control.

I look at my body like a furnace. I need to keep feeding it fuel consistently to keep it running in top form. I know that, for me, not eating enough is as bad for my body as eating too much. So I plan what I eat and I eat what I plan. Period. The other night, I was still hungry after I ate my planned dinner. Oh well. I drank water, had my calcium (that I always have at the end of the day--it signals "no more eating" and I posted here to write out my commitment and get some support). My brain caught up to my stomach and I was content.

This am, not hungry after my run. Oh well. I need carbs and protein and fat and blueberries (yes, I consider blueberries to be their own food group ). My hunger button is busted so I have to plan my nutrition to keep my body running at top form.

Anyway, a long post to say that I think occasionally, it is okay to go low. But you want your body to stay confident that there is plenty of healthy food available so that it runs at top form and doesn't try to be miserly about the calories you do eat.

Think about sneaking in some nutrient dense calories on those days. Add avocado to your sandwich. Stir peanut butter into your oatmeal. Snack on some almonds or cashews. Good luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #13  
me me me

S/C/G: 168/150/120

Height: 5'2"

I have been eating a LOT of fiber and maybe that is the reason why. I hadn't thought of that being a possibility.

No, no ED behaviors in the past ... I don't think that's it. But I am definitely also not on a very normal eating plan. I know that once I start my job and get into a routine, I will probably start eating on a more regular basis. But even my boyfriend usually has two meals a day and I just follow his lead while I'm around. It's been pretty healthy though.

I did make up for it yesterday by eating nearly 1900 calories. There was a party, and I thought I was not eating a lot. Calculating those calories was an eye-opener!
s0nali is offline   Reply With Quote