Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Default inconsistent scale vent

Ugh. I went to the gym today. I was feeling pretty tired but I missed a workout earlier this week so I wasn't willing to put off or cancel this one. I get there and I step on the stupid scale in the change room . I don't normally use the word stupid (I think language could do without it, but that's another story) - I also don't usually have a negative relationship with gym scales! Sure, I wish the numbers came down quicker and my overall weight was lower, but normally I really have no issues. I mean, they tell me my weight and it's up to me to change it. BUT THIS SCALE IS SO FRIGGIN INCONSISTENT!

I set the dial to zero, step on the scale and it reads: 242. I step off, and the dial is no longer at zero but at 1-2 lbs. So I set it to zero again and step on again, this time it reads 244!!! I step off and the dial's somewhere between 0-2 lbs again. So I reset it to zero, step on again, and I think it read 242 again - but I tried a couple of times so I really don't know. I'm assuming those 2 extra pounds that show up when I step off the scale are not to be subtracted from my weight - that they're some sort of "after" effect, but who really knows

Anyways.. I just needed to vent, thanks for reading. That scale irritates me every time I step on it! But I like weighing at the gym because I don't want a scale at home, so I guess for now it is a sacrifice.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey beautifulone, scales can make you nuts. Until you can get one at home or find another one, here's what I'd suggest:

1. Zero the scale before you get on it.
2. Get on it and note your weight.
3. Walk away.

Just take whatever reading you get as being your weight for the day. Obviously the scale is going to be off by up to two pounds--but it's not the exact value that's important, it's what happens over time. If you're staying on your program, then those readings will get lower.

Otherwise, people might think you're using the scale for step aerobics!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

I agree with JayEll to the maximum. Scales have the ability to turn you nuts. They are the only inanimate object that messes with our brains so much. Just write your weight down and move away. If you are doing well it is going to show the loss eventually.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #4  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Otherwise, people might think you're using the scale for step aerobics!

Jay

Thanks
Old 08-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I always weigh myself after a get up and go to the bathroom.. the same time and day of the week.. and nakie lol. Because your body can gain and lose fluid through out the day so it is inconsistant. If I weighed myself after I finished exercising .. I would be 2-3 pounds heavier.. as I tend to down ALOT of water and I exercise in the late afternoon... I see so many people doing this at my gym.. and all I want to say is WHY!!..
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #6  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgurl0531 View Post
I always weigh myself after a get up and go to the bathroom.. the same time and day of the week.. and nakie lol. Because your body can gain and lose fluid through out the day so it is inconsistant. If I weighed myself after I finished exercising .. I would be 2-3 pounds heavier.. as I tend to down ALOT of water and I exercise in the late afternoon... I see so many people doing this at my gym.. and all I want to say is WHY!!..
because some of us don't have scales at home and coming to the gym very first thing in the morning before eating breakfast and doing other stuff, just to weigh ourselves is not a great option Neither is stripping down in the locker-room to step on the scale butt-naked