3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

When will my belly not sit on my lap????

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
bikinidreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 21

S/C/G: 188/173/138

Height: 5'6"

Angry When will my belly not sit on my lap????

The scale shows weight loss. My husband sees weight loss. When the **** will my belly not sit on my thighs? I am down to 179 this week on Monday. I am sooo sick of this flab in my lower stomach area. I just don't know what to do. Any tips on how to lose this?
bikinidreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Deep South
Posts: 4,445

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Default

Keep losing. For most women, belly fat is the last to go, sorry to say. I am down to 165 and I still have mostly belly fat to lose.

Just keep eating healthy, exercising, and it will, eventually go away.

.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 21

Default

I am 5f 1 and now am at 158 and my tummy still is on my upper thighs. I HATE my stomach more than any body part, sadly I think its permanent
PorkChopNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
McKenziesmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Small town in West Tennessee!
Posts: 1,551

S/C/G: 270/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Default

I agree with photochick. From what I understand about weight gain and loss...we are all different but for the most part the last fat you gained will be the first fat to lose....so say that last 5 lbs you put on was in your face or arms....then you will lose it in the face and arms first....since the stomach is the biggest area for storage in the body (or around the torso area I should say) it is the most logical place to begin storing body fat for most women...therefore since it is the first to come it will be the last to go. Think of it like this....lets say you are storing canned goods in the pantry for winter or something....when you start using the canned goods you stored...you will take from the last ones you put in...or the closest ones to you....you won't dig to the back of the pantry for the first ones you put in.

The only suggestion I can make is to make sure you strength train alot in the abdominal area....all of them....abs, trans abs (the bottom part) and obliques (sides)....the more muscle you build in that area the more fat you will burn in that area when you are doing cardio...remember muscle weighs more than fat but it burns fat very efficiently.....and then just think about how your abs will look when the fat is gone cause you have been working on them...you can find alot of different ab workouts as well as others at www.shape.com
Hope this helps...
__________________

Last edited by McKenziesmomma : 07-17-2008 at 10:48 AM.
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
vealcalf2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 502

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinidreamer View Post
The scale shows weight loss. My husband sees weight loss. When the **** will my belly not sit on my thighs? I am down to 179 this week on Monday. I am sooo sick of this flab in my lower stomach area. I just don't know what to do. Any tips on how to lose this?
Oh gosh I feel for you because I'm in the same boat. I still have a lot more weight to loose but I swear it's all in my hanging belly. My arms are slim, my legs are large but not huge, but then you get to my big ole gut and it just frustrates me so bad. If it wasn't for my belly I'd probably be wearing a size 12 intead of an 18 pants. My friend has an ab lounger that I used a few times and it felt really good on the tummy, and she said she'd sell it to me for like $10 so I'm going to keep eating right, exercising, and next pay squeeze out the extra money and see if the ab lounger helps (it can't hurt!) Good luck to you, keep doing what you're doing. BTW, I didn't check your profile, but have you done any Before and After pics? You probably look much better than what you give yourself credit for.
__________________


Goal as of 03/09/15: Get under 200lbs


http://3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/vealcalf2000



vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80

Default

Go to your nearest store selling exercise videos. Pick out 2, one that's yoga related and one that's Pilates related. Do one of them everyday but never do the same video 2 days in a row. Do this along with your cardio routine and you should see real results in 3 weeks tops.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
lumifan4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East coast baby!!!
Posts: 2,107

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default

From my personal experience, i gotta agree it may be the last place you lose it from. I've lost 60 pounds and still got about another 15 to go (in my opinion) and that's all in the gut area. I know some of it is lose skin...when i bend over neeked (lol at sp!!), my lower belly just hangs away from my body. But, i also know there is plenty of fat still in there filling out that skin. Still got love handles on my sides and a much smaller back fat roll to get rid of.
__________________
April 28th BIRTHDAY GOAL- 150
July 4th SUMER GOAL- 135









http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...r=lumifan4ever
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Deep South
Posts: 4,445

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Do this along with your cardio routine and you should see real results in 3 weeks tops.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't want you to get false hope here. You cannot "spot reduce" fat. The yoga and pilates will give you stronger tummy and core muscles, but until that fat melts away, you won't see those muscles.

However, working your core and abs is *always* a good thing!

.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I don't want you to get false hope here. You cannot "spot reduce" fat. The yoga and pilates will give you stronger tummy and core muscles, but until that fat melts away, you won't see those muscles.

However, working your core and abs is *always* a good thing!

.
The operative word here is *should*. Nowhere did I say it would melt away fat nor did I advocate spot training. The melting of fat will come from her cardio and dieting. Since she's here, I would assume that she is already dieting and exercising.

I got the impression that OP was asking what she could do to see more flattering results. What I mentioned earlier *should* help her plight.

Last edited by cmichele1974 : 07-17-2008 at 11:23 AM.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
How much longer?
 
Insatiable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 69

S/C/G: 180/ticker/130

Height: 5'5'

Default

Lately I have had this same question. Thank you Photochick and Mckenziezmomma for your post. They make sense. I just hope it does goes away.
Insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
bikinidreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 21

S/C/G: 188/173/138

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenziesmomma View Post
The only suggestion I can make is to make sure you strength train alot in the abdominal area....all of them....abs, trans abs (the bottom part) and obliques (sides)....the more muscle you build in that area the more fat you will burn in that area when you are doing cardio...remember muscle weighs more than fat but it burns fat very efficiently.....and then just think about how your abs will look when the fat is gone cause you have been working on them...you can find alot of different ab workouts as well as others at
Hope this helps...
Thank you soooo much! This really help me out a lot. It gives me motivation to keep doing the ab training even though I am not seeing results... I had no idea of how it all worked.
bikinidreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1

Default

I totally understand this - I have lost 30 pounds but still must wear the same
size slacks - the thigh area is super baggy but the waist fits the same. My doctor said to have patience and just keep walking consistently (i'm up to a mile and a half on the treadmill each morning before work) and continue eating smaller portions and healthier food and that EVENTUALLY the stomach area will "catch up". I still have about 70 pounds to lose, so I sure HOPE some of it starts losing from that area! Good luck and don't give up.
Abbyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 180

Default

I hear ya'---I've ALWAYS been an apple-shape, i.e., with much of my weight concentrated in the middle. Right now, my stomach looks worse than it ever has because I've slacked off for a year (doing practically nothing).

I know that they say that you can't spot reduce, but I've had some success using the Firm 5-day ab routine, which is on a VHS tape that I bought from Target for $10 several years ago. On the box of the tape, it says that they "guarantee results" in 10 workouts. I thought that was just hype, but it turned out to be true for me. After two weeks of consistently doing that workout (5 days each week), my stomach does look firmer. My lower stomach normally hangs (gross visual, I know), but when I do the Firm ab tape, I see some lift there. No, it's not a miraculous change, but it is a change. Anyway, maybe that workout would help you.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
yoyoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,766

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

My lower abs are almost the last place to surrender my fat (my inner thighs are the real "winners" in this battle). The roll/overhang/flap on my lower ab is still there but much smaller. I think that if I lose another 10 lbs or so I will probably be rid of the actual roll (and be left with a small amount of bulge in its place -- that's what happened on my upper ab). I plan on lowering my goal weight because I really want to get rid of that overhang!
__________________
Deborah: Hoping to earn the user name NoYoyoMa (maintenance start: 6/30/2014)


yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnm39 View Post
I hear ya'---I've ALWAYS been an apple-shape, i.e., with much of my weight concentrated in the middle. Right now, my stomach looks worse than it ever has because I've slacked off for a year (doing practically nothing).

I know that they say that you can't spot reduce, but I've had some success using the Firm 5-day ab routine, which is on a VHS tape that I bought from Target for $10 several years ago. On the box of the tape, it says that they "guarantee results" in 10 workouts. I thought that was just hype, but it turned out to be true for me. After two weeks of consistently doing that workout (5 days each week), my stomach does look firmer. My lower stomach normally hangs (gross visual, I know), but when I do the Firm ab tape, I see some lift there. No, it's not a miraculous change, but it is a change. Anyway, maybe that workout would help you.

I understand exactly what you are saying. Usually when people think spot reduction it's along the lines of doing many reps of one particular exercise (or group of exercises) that focus on one area. Sure, you will see some toning in that muscle group but to see full results, you have to do cardio to burn the fat padding around the muscles.

I'm going to google the video you mentioned because I think I actually have this one, too. If it's what I think it is then you are doing toning and stretching that involves your legs, arms, back, and ab muscles. That's exactly why yoga and Pilates work in toning your core - they force you to use your core for balance and total body conditioning. Crunches and those ab exercisers just won't get the job done.

Last edited by cmichele1974 : 07-17-2008 at 02:13 PM.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2