Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #1  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

Default Stuck in a food rut...

I've been eating essentially the same foods daily since October 2007! I am pretty content eating the same foods. I do know my weight loss has slowed down. I am thinking it may be because of the same diet for so long.

Any suggestions?? Should I add new foods?? Guess, my fear with that would be that I've lost eating this way, why take chances and add a new food or two, as it may sabotage me.

My daily foods are this for those who are curious: Green Salad with turkey, kidney beans Fat Free Dressing, Fruit Salad (watermelon, strawberries, oranges) Seedless Green Grapes, 2 cups of decafe in the morning, About 80+ ounces of water a day. I do have either M&M's or a cookie. On occasion I might have a cheese stick or some pretzels.

Ideas, suggestions, comments all welcome!
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Weight loss tends to slow naturally as you become slimmer. I doubt that the lack of variety is what is causing the slow down.

But I would recommend trying to add more variety to your diet. First of all, variety is important for good nutrition. For specific examples of new foods to incorporate, you might check out superfoods.

Secondly, you should strive for a diet that is sustainable with relatively few changes as a permanent way of eating. When you get to your goal weight, you don't want to regain. So that means that you need to be prepared to eat in a manner that will maintain your weight loss. If you add more variety now, it will be a more realistic foundation for a maintenance way of eating in the future.

I can't say that I speak with any successful past experience on the maintenance front, but this time, maintenance is really my primary goal. I am trying to make my current weight loss diet liveable long term.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

I had the same problem. My problem was that I was eating the amount of calories that was at equilibrium with my weight (where I plateaued). I initially lost weight but once I hit 130 it just stayed there. I ended up changing my exercise routine and lessening my calories.

I agree with Yoyoma... you should have a little more variety, but I doubt lack of variety is the problem. You should first consider doing more exercise then when you hit another plateau... or if it doesn't change after 2 weeks then lower your calories a tad.

Good luck!
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #4  

You need a variety of foods to get adequate nutrition. I second what Yoyoma said.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Woman cannot live by turkey alone! Think of other protein sources you could add. What about tuna, other kinds of fish, some lean meats, chicken, shrimp, eggs? You aren't going to be "struck fat" by trying different foods in place of those that may be a little boring after all this time.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #6  
Time To Do This Thing

S/C/G: 195/195/125

Height: 5'4"

in the past when losing weight and getting stuck what worked was to alter the food a bit and alter the exercise a bit, at lease for a while to rev things up on those final pounds.

maybe try switching some of your fruits for lower glycemic. maybe try to replace watermelon and oranges with blueberries, cherries, apples. and maybe try switching the m&ms with another chocolate, like snickers. have noticed that m&ms have like 400 calories vs. maybe a little under 300 for snickers.

maybe try adding weight lifting or adding a different kind of cardio.

these changes may rev things up a bit to get off those last 10 pounds and then you could go back to what you prefer.

good luck!
bluesurfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #7  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

You friends are amazing! Thanks for all the suggestions!

I do know one thing has changed is my exercise amount. I was exercising 1-5 times a day when school was in session. Now that summer is here, my exercising amount has decreased.

I will tweak my food variety and try another type of exercise.

Again, thank you for your insight.

gail
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote