Movie snacks?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Ok, I need the collective wisdom of 3FC.

We're gonna go watch a movie. I don't want to eat movie theater popcorn, since it's popped in so much oil and has sooo much salt on it. We're talking 500+ cals for a small size. Bleah.

So what can I get at the grocery store to take with me that is a good snack during the movie? Something that I can nibble on and won't break the calorie bank?

Any ideas?
  • Personally, I actually like plain popcorn. I know that horrifies some people
  • Soy crisps are good "snacky" foods for movies (pretty good balance of protein, carbs and fats too).

I love to take frozen grapes too.

1 oz. of organic dark chocolate is awesome.

• Oh I love plain popcorn! But my purse isn't big enough to smuggle in a whole bag of it.

I actually have grapes in the freezer ... excellent idea. And we can stop and pick up a small bag of soy crisps or rice crisps. Good thoughts!

• I know it may be part of your movie going experience, but do you need to snack on something while you are watching a movie? I always thought it was kind of odd to eat when at the movies.
  • SoulBliss, those all sound great. I'd add a big bottle of lemon water.
  • Breakfast cereal, baby carrots, mini rice cakes, plain popcorn, goldfish crackers
  • I've actually broken the habit of needing to snack during a movie. So, you might want to try it. Really, I find that I'm so focused on the movie that I don't even miss it.
  • Oh, come on ... having a small snack at the movies is part of the fun ...

How about a small sandwich baggie with a mixture of popcorn (I have lite), and/or raisins or craisins (dried cranberries), cereal, and a few nuts like almonds. Just put in a little of each and along with a water, that should hold you over.
  • Soy crisps, hard candy, string cheese, "homemade" luncheables (crackers with a good cheese). Of course, this is when I think ahead. I personally like hard candy because I like something sweet and it keeps my mouth busy for longer than, say, a box of raisinettes.

Last night I went to the movies. I did not think ahead. I bought $9 worth of candy out of the make-your-own-bag candy bins at the theater (who thought of that???). It's in DF's workbag to take to the office in the morning.
  • Pistachios (kinda messy, not if you are prepared though), 100 calorie packs are great, pickles, pork rinds (loud though), cherries are in season, snap peas, lays light potato chips, and my personal favorite, raisinettes. They can break the calorie bank, but if you only see movies once in a while, go for it.
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I wound up taking in 3 white cheddar rice cakes - 40 cals each - and getting a bottle of water at the concession stand. It was just exactly what I wanted; something crunchy and salty.

Saw HellboyII, btw, and it was great. Not as good as the first one, but I'd still give it a sold 4*.

• Quote: Oh, come on ... having a small snack at the movies is part of the fun ...

How about a small sandwich baggie with a mixture of popcorn (I have lite), and/or raisins or craisins (dried cranberries), cereal, and a few nuts like almonds. Just put in a little of each and along with a water, that should hold you over.
    I was gonna say that craisins are great movie snacks! So delicious!
  • Oooooh, PhotoChick, I also saw Hellboy 2 yesterday - loved it! I've been humming "Can't Smile Without You" all day long...

Got nothing much to add to the main topic, though - I've mostly weaned myself off movie snacks, too. Popcorn was never for me, because I hate it when, inevitably, a tiny piece of kernel shell gets stuck towards the back of my throat, exactly past the point where I can reach and not gag. Boy, that has spoiled more than one movie experience for me...

If I take something in, it's usually a cup of coffee or tea. I used to bring trail mix, beef jerky or soy nuts, but these tended to run out before the trailers did, so I've decided it's an exercise in futility for me to bring them to the movies...
  • I've stopped eating snacks at the movies, because I inevitably overeat. I used to get a large popcorn and large pop and finish both off on my own halfway through a movie. It was a disgrace! Now, although I gaze longingly at the concession stand, I don't go near it, and I feel better afterwards. Not only about the calories I've saved myself, but also about the money I've saved!