Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #1  

Default Breast Reduction Surgery??????

I have been suffering from chronic neck/shoulder/back pain for more that 10yrs. now due to a fall on black ice resulting in shoulder dislocation. I have been doing WW since Jan. and have lost 20+ so far and would like to lose about 30 more. The problem is, as I lose, my "girls" are drooping drastically more than ever!! I'm 49 and I know they naturally wouldn't have stayed perky forever, but after 3 kids 20+ yrs ago, nursing, gaining weight, etc. they have grown to a big 40D. I have lost 2 inches from them according to my tape measure, and yet, I still cannot fit into a smaller size bra. It is soooo frustrating!! I have been reading alot lately about women who have had great results in pain relief with this surgery. I would think I died and went to heaven if I could get through a workout without suffering during and after exercise b/c no matter what sport bra I use, the puppies still bounce too much. I go to a chiro every 2 wks. which helps somewhat, but I can't help but wonder if I had them reduced if the loss of the tissue/weight would help relieve the pain.
Anybody had any experiences with this surgery. My biggest concern is that I won't have any sensitivity there if I have it done. Anybody want to share? I'd really appreciate the input. Thanks
ripples57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #2  

Sorry to read about your problem. Not that I have any experience with this, but wouldn't it make sense to hit your goal weight before you consider surgery? It would be a shame to be satisfied with your bustline, only to see it change again as you lost more weight.

In the mean time I would look into strength training to relieve your back/neck pain. As you get stronger and lighter your back should get healthier.

Robert
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #3  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Robert is absolutely right. You really wait until you hit goal. I plan on having a breast reduction and have done lots of research. My breasts are HUGE, much bigger than yours and the grooves in my shoulders are so deep someone can live in there. I also experience back and neck pain so I know what you are going through. You can experience a loss of sensation although at your breast size, the type of surgery they would do shouldn't cause that to happen. You can find lots of great info on the net, just google breast reductions. And talk to your doctor!!
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #4  

Thanks Robert and Tracey for your concern. I DEFINITELY am waiting until I'm at goal. I have done physical therapy/strength training several times with dr's orders. Yes it did help as well as "time" in the healing, but as far as the pain goes, it seems to be very intense and tight no matter what exercising I do because of the constant "bounce". I refuse to stop exercising. I mostly do Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos and I walk. I do weights-as much as the body and my dr will allow - no more than 3 pounds right now. When I was doing my P/T last time, they had me lifting 70 pounds on pulleys!! I couldn't believe it, but alas insurance, returning to work, and distance keeps me from continuing anything at a gym. So I pretty much have to do it on my own but Leslies videos are great and low impact. It has helped me get back into clothes I haven't worn in a while. I just would like to hear more opinions as far experiences of people who have gone thru this surgery before I will make a decision. I know there are a lot of people out there with bigger measurements than me (and smaller for that matter) who have had this done. I will talk with my dr if I decide to pursue it. Another factor is that I have had a "suspicious" lump for a few years in my left breast and have had several mammos since 35 yrs. old. It was discovered on an annual mammo a few yrs. back. At that time I had lost 30 lbs on Atkins and I think it was always there, just more noticeable after I'd lost weight. Had an ultrasound and went to breast surgeon. Needle biopsy proved negative and I had checked again in 6 months. Of course I had put weight back on and the spot on the mammo was supposedly "normal" again. Now I'm back to once a year. Will go in August for my gyno/mammo. I think I may discuss it with my gyno-he's the one that sent me to a breast surgeon. It just bugs me that I know there's a lump there that I keep having to worry about and watch. I guess time will tell as far as getting to goal. I will make a decision then. Thanks again for the input.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:26 PM   #5  

I meant working up to some serious weights to really strengthen that back. Post over on the "Ladies Who Lift Forum" and see what some of the trainers think, but I was thinking more along the lines of 200#+ deadlifts and 100#+rows rather than 70# cable pulls. Most back and neck problems can be relieved by better neck and back strength.

A big chest (or belly for men) sticks out and has alot of leverage against those back muscles. I used to get a bit of low back pain when I was at my heaviest and weakest. I don't think that 170# is particularly heavy, but you are obviously too "developed" for your current strength level. Both getting stronger and losing more weight should help.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #6  
It's up to me this time!

Height: 5'3

ripples.....I had the surgery 6 yrs ago and would do it again tomorrow. It hurt like ****, the recovery, but it was so worth it. My breasts were a 40DD, i'm now a 38B-C, depending on how the bra is made and there are times I actually go without a bra and no ones knows, that's an extra perk of the surgery...you get a lift also. I wasn't at goal weight by no means, my doctor told me it wouldn't make that much of a difference and I was so miserable that I decided to have it done even though I needed to lose at least 50lbs. As far as your concern about the sensations, that was my biggest fear also. They actually have to remove and move the nipples so the possibility of no sensation is very real. I was very forunate and my surgery went off without a problem. The only thing that bothered me was I wasn't aware of the amount of scarring, my doctor really didn't explain that to me and I didn't know to ask. The scars have lightened drastically and I really don't even notice them anymore though.

I hope this helps you.
Jeanette
jcogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:43 PM   #7  

I know it's not what I wanted to hear when considering it, but I'd say wait until you reach goal weight. I had it done about 6 years ago before I lost weight. I was a DD/E and was reduced to around a C. Now I'm barely a B. It's driving me nuts. I'm glad they're nice and "high", but I feel like I have nothing left. If I HAD waited, though, there wouldn't have been enough taken out for insurance to cover it... I'm basically glad I did it, but there are some things I would change...
So I'd say be at goal weight...
oh, no sensation probs but hate scars
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #8  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

My biggest goal is that after I hit my goal weight I am going to have a breast lift. I've had HUGE breasts all my life (I was a D cup when I was 13) so I know that after I lose weight I'll probably still have a large chest... but I'm 23 and they sag like crazy! So I can't wait until I can get that done!

But as everyone said, you should definately wait until goal (and it sounds like that is your decision as well!) My reason for that thought is purely vanity. Because they may shrink up a little more yet and you wouldn't want the nice pretty boob job to sag
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #9  
Fit chick in hidding

S/C/G: 201/164.4/100 4'11"

Have you done exercises for your pecs? adding muscle there might just help with the amount of bouncing (pain) that you experience.

Two of my aunts who were always very busty now have very little left after losing weight so I would definatly wait and see depending on how you feel about them. One of them had reduction surgery before she lost weight but now I think they are close to the same size. If you are ok with possibly losing your entire chest then I would go for the surgery now if insurance will cover it, that way you get the lift as well.

As for me my highest non-preggo was 42DD and I'm now in 36D-38DD but they are perkier than before because I have been doing my chest exercises.
LuckySmyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I started with a 42 DD chest. I am now a 36 DD, but noticed just yesterday that my bras are getting loose in the cups. Guessing I could use a 36 D now. I have always wanted a breast reduction, but now see they are reducing with just the weight loss. I have 8 more lbs. to lose and it wouldn't bother me a bit to go down to a C cup. I would like a breast lift, they headed south a long time ago, but look great in my granny bra's. (Cross your Hearts).
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #11  

I'm a d cup. I'm not planning on a reduction though. In my dreams I think I would like an uplift, as I have a bit of the african desert queen thang going on, but I don't like surgery and I am a bad scarrer.

In terms of back strength, I do a lot of chest presses, pec exercises and core stability work, and nearly have no back pain at all.

If you do strength training to improve your back, you will see results, but it won't happen immediately, it takes a lot of work to grow muscle.

Good wishes with whatever you decide to do.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #12  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Ripples -

I'm glad to hear you are planning to wait on the surgery until you hit goal!

Losing/gaining weight can make a big difference in breasts - maybe not for everyone - but I know it does for me!

Skinny I'm a 36C, but fat I wear any of the following: 36F, 38D, 38F, 40D, up to 42D! All depending on the bra... which makes bra shopping a challenge too. I thought bra shopping was supposed to be pretty scientific - band size and cup size based on simple numbers and math - but I guess not

I'm looking forward to losing some of my padding there Not all, but some! D and F are just too dang big for me to strap 'em up hehehe!

Good luck!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #13  
Enjoy the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teahoney
Robert is absolutely right. You really wait until you hit goal. I plan on having a breast reduction and have done lots of research. My breasts are HUGE, much bigger than yours and the grooves in my shoulders are so deep someone can live in there. I also experience back and neck pain so I know what you are going through. You can experience a loss of sensation although at your breast size, the type of surgery they would do shouldn't cause that to happen. You can find lots of great info on the net, just google breast reductions. And talk to your doctor!!
~ Ditto that. I can't wait to be thinner for just that reason. I have always been huge up top and HATE IT MORE THAN ANYTHING!!! I'm in the triple letters so I am hoping to get back down and least to a D before I do it. But it is absolutley happening. I have read a lot about it and done the research and for me it's worth it. Do what you have to do for YOU Good luck!
Brendalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would also agree that you should wait until you are at your goal size.

I am a DD currently...and I am a DDD when I am nursing babies (which will be happening again soon...) and I have no back pain at all-and carrying around DD's and a baby inside-I sure as heck should.
I attribute this mostly to the fact that I keep my back, chest, shoulders, and abdominals very strong.
Having a strong torso makes a WORLD of difference in your posture, and how your body can carry a heavier chest around.
I suggest either getting into strength training with weights...or getting into Pilates. Both of these really get your entire back and abdominals strong, When the back is strong, the shoulders, and the abdominals-they all work together to improve your posture, and to provide support for the rest of you. It really, really makes a world of a difference, trust me.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #15  

Thanks for the advice all. I had already made up my mind to wait and see how they "hold up" until I lose what I need to. I guess it is the best choice and I'm not THAT impatient. I plan on waiting and then if I think it may be a possibility, I will talk to my dr. As far as strength training, I can't do any of it without my drs. ok. Somedays just pushing the vacuum or picking up kids (I do day care for 4 kids in my home under the age of 4) makes my shoulder, neck and back hurt. My chiro and my dr. have both pretty much told me not to push it. I'm beginning to think I will have to go back to my orthopedic dr. and see if I can go another round of P/T and see if I can do more with the weights than I have been. It's just very frustrating--and PAINFUL--when I try to do more and end up with muscle spasms so bad that I just want to die. I REFUSE to take any muscle relaxants or prescription drugs. If I had left it to some of the drs I saw yrs. ago, I would have been a drug addict. That's why I see a chiropractor regularly. She keeps me going. Don't know where I'd be without her. Problem is if go to PT Workmen's Comp won't pay for me to see the chiropractor. I have to drive for about an hour for the P/T and last time it was 3 days a week. Guess I'll just have to see what my ortho says. Thanks again for the advice. It is much appreciated