Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/225/175

Height: 5'7-5'8

Default New Here & Need Some Advice Please

Hey everyone, my name is Teran. In the last 5weeks I've finally gotten the motivation to get off of my lazy butt and lose some weight. I'm only 21 (almost 22) and my weight has really affected my life the last few years. I've felt sluggish, tired, irritable, depressed and everything else that comes with being fat and it sucks. I've got a wonderful boyfriend who loves me with all of his heart as I do the same and I feel horrible that I've let myself go so much since we've been together. I know he doesn't love me any less but I'd like to get back to looking good and feeling good not only for myself but for him as well.

My starting weight was 242lbs and I'm 5'7-5'8. That is the heaviest I've ever been! I was around 175-180 when I met my boyfriend so I've put on a massive amount of weight in the last 3 years. I've always been bigger but very active, never like this though. I just completely let myself go.

So my weight loss journey has begun and I'd love to get down to 170lbs. I know that that is probably a lot to some people but I recently saw some pictures of myself at that weight and I loved how I looked. A huge difference from what I look now, especially in the face. I want to feel pretty again.

Right now I weigh 224, so I've already lost 18lbs and it feels good. Here is where I need advice though. I lost that 18lbs 2-3weeks ago doing the Master Cleanse Diet (I know, it's a bad idea because it slows your metabolism) and haven't gained any of it back. I was not exercising at all and the weight just fell off. Now I've been going to the gym for a little over 2 weeks now and I haven't lost anything! It's driving me crazy. My boyfriend is just shedding the pounds. I do 2.5-4 miles everyday, abs, and swimming. I'm also eating low fat meals and watching my calories and drinking over a gallon of water a day. I'm not watching my carb intake so maybe I should monitor that as well? I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't eat breakfast in the morning which I know I need to start but I should be losing something, shouldn't I? I'm also taking Green Tea Fat Burner pills which I have read that work great as well. My pants feel a little loser but the scale isn't budging. Could I be losing inches and not weight even at how big I am? It's starting to get really frustrating and is making me want to give up. I'm thinking about doing the Master Cleanse diet again just so I can see the darn scale move.

If anyone has some advice on what I need to do to see the scale move, PLEASE TELL ME. Also I'd like to have an accountability buddy if anyone is looking for one. I'd like to have someone to talk to.

Sorry this is long and thanks for reading it.
CarsoTerano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #2  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Just want to say 'hi' and tell you that you've come to a great place! Lots of helpful people here at 3fc.

And, for all the weight you've already lost. It's a big accomplishment to get started and see results. I don't have much advice, but will say that, since you've started exercising, you may be building muscle mass, which is why you're clothes feel more loose, even though the scale doesn't budge. That's a good thing!

Just wondering how many calories are you taking in a day? And, how many grams of fats or carbs? That can help pinpoint if there is something out of whack. If you get too low on calories, the body starts to hang on to the fat and it's harder to lose the pounds. Also, eating breakfast would help, especially if it's good proteins and good carbs.

I'm sure there will be lots more advice coming from members who have had more success than I have, so keep checking in. Glad to have you here!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

These all sound great for quick and easy results- but are they enough to last a lifetime? Chances are, no. I know it's cliche and it gets said so many times, but it's a lifestyle change. We all need to retrain ourselves to make healthy choices so that we can take the weight off and keep it off, not just get it off ASAP.

You said you are watching your calories and drinking lots of water- great start! Recognizing bad habits and changing them is the first step to take on the road to healthy, sustainable weight loss.

Have you tried to incorporate a work out plan or any type of physical activity? Not necessarily a gym, but something to start burning fat and building muscle.

I'm sure other will chime in, but those are just my two cents for now..good luck!
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #4  
No description available.

Hi Teran,

Welcome to 3FC!!

Sounds like you are working hard! That is great! Your body and your heart will thank you for your exercise efforts.

I know you said you are watching your calories, but are you entering them into a program like Fitday? A strict accountancy of your calories might shed more light. What kinds of foods are you eating? Are you lifting weights as well?

The scale is just one way to monitor progress. If your clothes are looser, then your body is changing, even if the scale hasn't caught up yet. It will---especially if you continue to exercise consistently and eat a clean, calorie controlled diet.

Glad to see you here! Post often!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #5  
on a mission

Welcome!

Exercise sounds great! i just wonder are you eating enough calories/ Thats what really stalled me up when I began. I cut back toooooooo far, thinking more is better and my body sorta shut down. just an idea
Salubrious Fervor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #6  

Wow, fast responses! Thanks guys!

Calorie wise I'm taking in around 800-1000. I'm afraid to eat more! I don't want to gain any weight back. I'm staying under 20grams of fat and I'm not sure about the carbs. I keep track of everything I eat in a notebook and then go over it at the end of the day and add everything up. I've been eating just about anything as long as it is low in calories and fat. What kinds of things should I be eating?

I've started going to the gym in the morning before work and after work. I'm not lifting weights at all so should I start that? I just do the running machine, abs and swim. What else should I incorporate?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there!

You have to eat more. You're not eating enough, and your body thinks it's the end of the world. Your metabolism is slowing down to try to keep you from dying.

Someone your size who is actively exercising should start with 1600 to 1800 calories. I know that sounds scary to you, but you really do need to eat more. The answer is NOT to increase your exercise and NOT to try to eat even less.

You've gone from "letting yourself go" to trying to be a marathoner overnight. Doesn't work, and it's not necessary. My suggestions would be, weigh once a week, increase your calories, and go to the gym only once a day, 6 days a week.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I agree with Jay.

Could you list out what you eat? We'll help you add a few things.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #9  
No description available.

Agree with Jay 100%. You gotta eat more. Your body is clinging to every calorie and fat cell for dear life. Feed your body healthy adequate calories and it will release the fat.

I promise!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #10  
on a mission

you really need to eat more your body is holding on to every morsel you put into it right now.
Salubrious Fervor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #11  

Geez that's way too many calories! Omg, I don't think I could eat that much.

I usually have a small box of raisins mid morning. For lunch I usually have a turkey sanwhich on wheat with lots of veggies, then I have another box of raisins later in the day and then for dinner I have salad or noodles with veggies. And I know this sounds bad but I don't have money for food so that's another reason I don't eat much. Today I won't be eating at all until I get home from work and then I'm going to be sharing a can of soup with my boyfriend.

Could you guys list some REALLY CHEAP meal ideas that I could do for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Last edited by CarsoTerano; 07-09-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #12  

Tuna, eggs, throw more veggies into your soup.
I'm not that excited about the raisins. How about an apple with a dollop of peanutbutter?
You really should try to have something during the day. You could even just split that sandwich into two meals.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #13  

I forgot about tuna and eggs! I usually put those kinds of things into my salad as well. I know I do need to eat during the day. That has always been one of my biggest problems. I'm 90% of the time not a breakfast or lunch eater and I know that thats horrible.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #14  

I had to learn to eat something in the morning. Protein shakes have been a huge boon for me. I buy protein powder in a bulk food store and add frozen fruit. Works wonderfully else I'd not eat breakfast.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #15  

That's a good idea Susan, thanks.