3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   "just do it" (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/145905-just-do.html)

persistence 07-08-2008 11:27 PM

"just do it"

I wish it was that easy,in 2 years I put on 22 pounds, I feel and look awful. I want to be 125-130 again but I can't seem to get off my a$$ and exercise.I keep making excuses, I just can't seem to get motivated. Any advice on how to get moving and stick to it? Especially the sticking to it part.

--Lynn*

Apple Cheeks 07-08-2008 11:50 PM

My advice would be to find something you enjoy, whether that is doing aerobics tapes at home, joining a spin class, or just walking around your neighborhood.

Second, make time in your schedule for it. For me, this means I do it first thing after I wake up, while my brain is still too sleep-foggy to argue with me about it. By the time it figures out I am actually doing exercise, I am half-way done.

If you find yourself unable to motivate yourself, maybe having a work-out buddy would help you. This could be a friend or neighbor who is willing to meet up with you for work-outs. You'll be less likely to flake out if you know someone is waiting for you to show up.

Along the same lines, maybe getting a few lessons from a trainer would help you.

As for me--I'm a loner. So, I try to do things I think are fun and/or different every day. I don't do the same workouts every day, so I don't get into a rut and get bored. :)

chick_in_the_hat 07-08-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple Cheeks (Post 2261515)
My advice would be to find something you enjoy,

All the rest of Apple Cheeks advise was stellar as well..but this is the key. Give things more than one chance though....if you try something like a class and get discouraged because you're hecka sore the next day, give yourself a couple days to get over the soreness and try again. You might be suprised at what activities will grow on you given the chance. :D

sh3l5 07-09-2008 02:01 AM

i think if u cant find the motivation you dont want it bad enuf....
we have similar targets now....
im struggling, not with the motivation but with the losses!....

JayEll 07-09-2008 06:53 AM

Sometimes it's helpful to make the gym an appointment in your book, just like a doctor's appointment or hair appointment. You wouldn't just bail out on those--and the gym is just as important.

When the time comes, you get your stuff, pick up your keys, and get in the car. :drill: It does not matter whether you feel like going, any more than you'd skip seeing your dentist because you don't feel like it. In other words, stop treating exercise as an optional activity. If you really want to lose weight, it has to be a required activity.

The alternative is to sit back down and watch yourself gain... :eek:

Jay

Mops 07-09-2008 07:40 AM

Your first step

Your first step was a good step: You joined a group of friends, who know from their own experience how you feel. I think we all help ourselves to keep motivated. :hug:
I once read a sentence somewhere and this helps me to keep away from to much food:
"I want to lose weight much more than I want a few seconds of pleasure". Maybe you could find yourselfe a sentence that helps you to stay motivated.

rockinrobin 07-09-2008 07:48 AM

You can't make it an option not to. Just like you wouldn't make it an option to not brush your teeth, shower and pay your bills.

Also wondering, you mentioned exercise, do you have a healthy eating plan in place? They do go hand in hand. Once you get a good eating plan in place, it could spur you on to exercise. Kind of a "total package" type thing.

GlitteringPink 07-09-2008 08:59 AM

Read lots and lots of posts in this forum! Surround yourself in motivation!

Good luck on your journey :)