Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #1  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

Default Just curious .....

I am at my halfway mark now and I feel really good about it only taking 4 months to take off 51 pounds. All in all, it has came off pretty easy but I know there is going to come a point when it gets really hard. In your experience, at what point did things get hard and seem like you would never reach the end? I am figuring maybe the last 20 pounds? Or will it be sooner?

Also....I have seemed to lost more pounds than inches for whatever reason. I have lost inches but nothing earth shattering. Is there a time that the poundage slows and the inches take over?
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think this is all very individual. You may just have to see what happens for you! Some people don't experience a plateau, others do--sometimes more than one. And inches is also a very individual thing.

Just keep going! Don't "borrow problems from the future."

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/206/150

Height: 5'6

While I have not lost as much weight as you, I have noticed it more in inches. I don't know how many as I didn't measure when I started, but I did last week when I weighed myself so I can track it.

While I wish the scale would move faster, I can see progress in how my clothes fit. Progress is progress in my book, and I'm happy to finally see it.

So to echo Jay, don't buy trouble, your doing great.
danemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #4  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

I lost my first 20 pounds in about 3 months just by watching what I ate with no exercise. After that I started noticing that it wasn't coming off as much, then it really slowed after 4 months, so I added in exercise at that point and it started coming off again - not as fast as the first 20 pounds, but it finally came off. I lost 47 pounds in 9 months. I have been trying to lost another 10 pounds since the end of January 2008, and I've only lost 6 pounds of that. I think 2 things have happened - my body has slowed the weight down A LOT because it needed a break after losing 47 pounds in 9 months, and I have upped my calories a little bit and have gotten into more of a maintenance mode the past few months.

In that past 5 months even though I have only lost 5-6 pounds, I have definitely seen a difference in inches. I've gone from a size 10 to a size 4-6 and am noticing muscles a bit more now. I think inch loss has taken over my pound loss at this point.

It is different for everyone but I do think most people experience a slow down after a big weight loss, and I know a lot of people also have trouble losing the last 10-15 pounds. Just keep at it and it will come off eventually.

Last edited by NoVaVTFan; 07-02-2008 at 06:38 AM.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #5  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Definitely the weight loss has slowed down. At 5 pounds from my original goal and 20 pounds from what I should weigh, I've found that I'm having a bit of trouble getting lower. Most of this, though, is me- I just can't get away with the sort of stunts I could pull when I weighed 200 pounds. I have to actually stick to what I should eat every day or I don't lose weight, but that's pretty much the only difference.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I started off at a number close to you (267). I would say that the weight loss slowed down at about 60lbs lost and became fairly eratic at about 70 poiunds but I still continue to lose weight. Right now at 93lbs lost it seems like it will take forever but I seem to be losing inches more then lbs these days.

I think age has alot to to do with it. I am convinced I am perimenopausal (I am 46) so my TOM is no longer consistent. That seems to play havoc on when I gain water weight etc. Ultimately the result is the same but I just never know when etc.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I think a lot of us who started in the mid 200s found that around 170 was sort of a "Bermuda Triangle" of weightloss. I know I stalled in the 170s for about 5 months - and part of that was also my actions - I backed off a bit from being as careful as I could. I didn't gain any back, but I did maintain for a while.

I think part of it is your body needing time to readjust and part of it is mental/emotional - needing a break from the weight-loss mindset. For me, it was a nice proof that I could do this long term and maintain a weight and not gain back everything I'd lost. Gave me more confidence going forward.

I'll also say that I don't think it happens to everyone and some people just cruise right through to their goal. Like Jay said, I wouldn't borrow trouble necessarily, but I also would just keep in mind that if it happens, it's not the end of the world!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I think a lot of us who started in the mid 200s found that around 170 was sort of a "Bermuda Triangle" of weightloss. I know I stalled in the 170s for about 5 months - and part of that was also my actions -

Boy howdee - I hear that. I got stuck in the low 170s for 6 months! Then I kind of gave up and gained some weight back (like 30 pounds!!). So - I had to take all of that back off and keep going from there. Not the recommended way to do it.

I am losing an average of 4-5 pounds a month now. It's pretty slow. I would like to see goal by the end of the year, but if I am doing what I am supposed to and it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #9  
No description available.

I think that our bodies can hit certain set points where the weight loss slows quite a bit. For me that set point was 178 with my first two weight loss efforts and this time around was 164. Oh yes, there is definitely that Bermuda triangle of weight loss. I am cautiously optimistic that I have passed through it.

I noticed regular predictive weight loss until I hit those set points. Then it s-l-o-w-s d-o-w-n to a c-r-a-w-l and my choice was to suck it up and keep at it or give up. I chose to suck it up and keep at it and after months of losing about a half a pound a week (if I was lucky), 2 pounds have fallen off in this last week. I have not lost 2 pounds in one week in months.

Some people might lose in such a way that it is a beautiful curve. Not me. My graph would look like steps. So it can be hard to predict and a challenge to deal with. I think my body had to get used to a certain weight for a little bit before it could release more weight.

As for inches lost, are you weight training? Building muscle will shrink your body so that you are smaller, even if the scale doesn't drop dramatically.

Congrats on the loss so far!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #10  
Supporter

S/C/G: 196/154/147

Height: 6' 0"

Someimes people forget that as the weight comes off, so the energy consumption must reduce pro-rata in order to maintain consistent fat loss.

If you weigh 200 pounds plus you could begin your dieting by dropping your energy intake to what it should be if you were at your ideal weight, but this is not good, as the shock to your system woul be too intense, and you would be very likely to fall off the wagon sooner rather than later, so the reduction in energy intake should be done in phases.

As has already been said, it's relatively easy to lose weight if you weigh a lot, but as the weight comes off the bar is raised just that little bit higher, hence the plateau that we often hit.
AJ113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #11  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I started off close to 300 (I don't know my actual highest weight) and decided to start slowly rather than taking any extreme steps. It took my a few months to drop the first 15 pounds, but after that I started making some more adjustments (eating less processed foods, more fruits and veggies) the weight started coming off faster. I lose about 1.5-2 pounds per week now.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

Just from my own experience, I find that inches tend to come off more dramatically the closer you are to your goal, because you begin to be able to really firm up certain areas.

As for when it gets hard... I don't really know. The last 10 pounds is usually the stereotype, but honestly I think what it may really refer to is the fact that people start to get a little bit lazy or comfortable as well, and forget to keep stepping it up at every level.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Just from my own experience, I find that inches tend to come off more dramatically the closer you are to your goal, because you begin to be able to really firm up certain areas.
Ya know .. I think that's true. I think that at some point it switches from being about weight to being about inches and clothing sizes. And sometimes it can switch back and forth between the two.

I know that right now I'm in the mid 160s - and I've been here a few weeks. Last month I really upped my exercise, adding in more HIIT, and a Pilates class, and my clothes feel loser, but I haven't lost any more weight (in fact for about a week I went up - but that also had to do with the amount of sodium I was consuming).

I'm hopig to see a drop in the scale soon, but even so, I can tell that my skirts and pants are fitting better. Heck when my jeans aren't tight *right* out of the dryer, then I know something is working!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #14  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkivma View Post
I have found this true as well. In June, I lost 4 pounds. I also lost an inch off my hips, 1/2 inch off my waist and 2 inches off my thighs. I basically lost 1 size in that 4 pounds.
Back at a higher weight, 4 pounds showed nothing with my measurements.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #15  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

the first week. I'm seriously going at a snail's pace here. great job on your loss!!! i'll try not to be jealous.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote