Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #1  

Default I'm only on day 4 of my diet and need some moral support

On monday I decided that I was going to get in shape before I leave for college its going well I'm eating healthy I cut my calorie intake from 3000-2500 a day down to 1000-1500 a day, stopped drinking pop(only drinking water and some milk atm). I did all of this cold turkey now I'm sitting here and the container of Oreo's are taunting me. How can I fight the urge to eat these things?
John89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I would say get all the junk food out of the house. Pour dishsoap on top of them if you have to. Then, find a healthy snack, some fruit ( fruit often takes care of my sweet tooth ) some popcorn, and if you're really not that hungry, take a nice walk.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #3  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

John, I've lost almost 80 pounds so far after a quarter century of being overweight or obese, and let me tell you there's no way I could come this far if I had junk food sitting around at home. That doesn't mean I never eat junk food... sometimes I will have an Oreo cookie or two. But the junk doesn't stay in the house.

People tend to underestimate how much power the stimuli in their environments have on their behavior. To change your eating habits, you need to change your environment so that your living situation fosters healthy choices. Fill your home with fresh fruits and veggies and other healthy snacks. Don't rely on willpower alone to force behavior change!

My two cents.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #4  
XXXtine

S/C/G: 279/230/180

Height: 5'10

You need to get rid of the cookies- One leads to two, two leads to three.....Pouring dish soap on them might be drastic but it will work.
xxxtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I absolutely agree that having tempting foods handy makes sticking to your eating plan much harder. I think pouring dish soap on them is a great idea (from arms length -- try not to even get a wiff of them and *don't* try to eat "just one"). If those cookies have to be around for someone else, ask them to hide them or set aside a special shelf for all the goodies that aren't on your plan so you don't have to keep staring them down.

Make sure you are stocked with plenty of convenient, healthy low calorie options so that staying on plan is less of a burden. Also, make sure you fill up with plenty of veggies, soups and other low calorie options so that you aren't as hungry.

Also, you have cut your calories dramatically -- maybe a little too drastic? I stick near 1500, you may find a higher total would be a good place to start.

Good for you getting started and best of luck reaching your goal!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey John89!

Definitely stay closer to 1500 cals for now. Part of the problem may be that you have cut too much, and that means you'll be hungry. Of course, some hunger is normal, but if it is too much, it can lead to eating the wrong foods. Be sure you're getting enough lean protein and don't fill up on carbs.

Yep, the tempting foods have to go--if you can toss them, good. If they belong to others, then you may have to try some other strategy... like, putting them in a special "out of bounds for you" cupboard.

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Don't think of your plan as a diet, but a new way of life so that you can have a better life. I agree that you may have cut too much too soon. If you're hungry, you should eat. Starving yourself is not a good plan. You need to find a way of life that you can stick with. Take it from a binge eater---get the oreos and any other goodies out of the house!
Try to eat some protein at every meal and stick with the healthy carbs. You can do it!!

Take care
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You've gotten great advice already - get rid of those cookies, eat enough calories, make em' protein.

I just want to add, since you are only on Day 4 - that it gets MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier as you get into this. The first 10 days or so were VERY difficult for me. You MUST stick with this though - anyway that you can. And if that means dumping food or dousing it with dish liquid - so be it.

I found that once I elminated the junk food, that after that initial difficult period, my cravings for those foods GREATLY diminished. You will also start feeling better, looking better, seeing a change in how your clothing fits and a drop in the scale. All those things will propel you to go further. And foods that seemed tempting, will not be anywhere near as tempting as they once were.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #9  

Ok they're gone, well I dumped them on top of moldy fish . I've been eating nothing but chicken and turkey for meals. I've been eating Fruit/veggies exclusively. Is it bad to eat them basically every hour it just seems like im woofing down fruit to fill the void that has become my stomach.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Good for you for getting rid of the junk!

Why such a restrictive diet? I realize you're trying to lose weight quickly, and may well succeed, if you can stick with it. But most people who alter their diets in ways they don't intend to be permanent find that the lost weight gets "found" again, and often quickly.

There are lots of foods you can eat to keep you full -- protein and fiber ARE good choices, but you've cut all all grains and all dairy, so it's not really balanced.

What are your long term goals? Have you incorporated exercise?

And to reiterate what others have said -- if you eat too little, you get very hungry and run the real risk of binging!

Last edited by Heather; 07-03-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

John, you have two big advantages in this weight loss deal, you are male and young. (I'm basing this on your name and plans for college.)

Find some calorie recommendations on the web based on age, gender and size, I agree with everyone else, 1000 calories is way too low, even 1500 may be lower than necessary or helpful. (You don't want to get your body thinking it is starving, it will slow your metabolism and consequently your weightloss.)

Then look for some bulkier foods that are high fiber, they tend to fill you up more. Also match your eating to your style...I'm a protein girl, my husband can't live without his pasta and other carbs. We each need "our" foods to feel full. What foods make you feel full? (Obviously fruits are not doing it!)

Stick around and keep commited...you can absolutely do this! (And when you start college no one will know you were ever overweight, especially if you incorporate permanent changes.)
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #12  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Fruit does nothing to satisfy my hunger.
I can eat an apple and feel hungry 5 minutes later.
Fruit's healthy and good for you , but you can overdo it also.

Good luck
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I also agree that you've cut your calories way too low. At least for right now. A young male should be able to eat a lot more than that, but even if you wanted to eat 1500, cutting your total calorie intake in 1/2 or lower overnight will definitely leave you feeling like you're STARVING. Even if you're getting enough nutrition, your body is expecting more food, and you'll feel it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try maybe 1800 or even 2000. And then if you feel you still need to drop down after a week or two, you can from there.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 221.8/221.8/160

Height: 5'3

Out of sight, out of mind!
scarahjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora123a View Post
John, you have two big advantages in this weight loss deal, you are male and young. (I'm basing this on your name and plans for college.)

Find some calorie recommendations on the web based on age, gender and size, I agree with everyone else, 1000 calories is way too low, even 1500 may be lower than necessary or helpful. (You don't want to get your body thinking it is starving, it will slow your metabolism and consequently your weightloss.)

Then look for some bulkier foods that are high fiber, they tend to fill you up more. Also match your eating to your style...I'm a protein girl, my husband can't live without his pasta and other carbs. We each need "our" foods to feel full. What foods make you feel full? (Obviously fruits are not doing it!)

Stick around and keep commited...you can absolutely do this! (And when you start college no one will know you were ever overweight, especially if you incorporate permanent changes.)
I'm trying to find what fits me and the problem I'm having is whats me is junk food I spent all my life eating tons of the crap.