Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #1  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default When you sleep in late....

Okay, so on Wednesdays (my day off work) I sleep in late because I've been up quite late the night before (last night I was up until after 3AM, and did not crawl out of bed this morning until noon).

I ate breakfast when I got up at noon, 2 egg whites and a whole egg omelette (Eggland's Best eggs), a small whole wheat roll with a tiny bit of Land O Lakes spread, and 2 large strawberries.

At 3PM I had a large banana for a snack (so I could take my multi-vitamin with something in my stomach).

For dinner (around 6-7PM), I'm planning on a salad with tinned tuna, a wee bit of feta cheese, a small toasted wheat tortilla, bell pepper and onion pieces, and raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

My issue is that on the days when I sleep in, I barely manage to squeeze in 1000 calories for the day (i normally eat 1400-1600). Now even if I add in a healthy after dinner snack/desert (I normally do not snack after dinner), I'm not going to break 1200.

Should I eat the extra calories even though I'm not hungry and have plenty of energy? Are these calorie short days detrimental to my metabolism in the long run?

Can you suggest any healthy higher calories foods that I might be able to include in meals on the days where I find myself in this situation?

Lots of questions, I know!
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

One day of lower calories isn't going to really hurt you any. It's when you string a lot of those days in a row that causes problems.

Try adding some nuts or nut butter to your meals. Don't go overboard - because it is easy to LOL. Adding 1 tbsp of peanut butter to your roll in the morning can help. Or 1/2 ounce of nuts that you can nibble on, that's around 90 calories or so, depending on the nut.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #3  

If you aren't hungry, I say relax and let it go.

Having 1200 calories one day week isn't going to hurt you. Now, if you had said something like 600 calories or no calories, that would be different.
Aideen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #4  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I think if you're not hungry then your body must be getting what it needs to get through the day. If you're worried about it though, you could try eating more calories at your first meal after getting out of bed. I slept in today, missed breakfast, and then ate a 750 calorie lunch - half of my allotted calories for the day.

Last edited by UrsusMaritimus; 06-18-2008 at 05:12 PM.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #5  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aideen View Post
If you aren't hungry, I say relax and let it go.
I agree.

Shoveling food into your mouth when you're not even hungry just re-inforces the bad habits that got many of us into this mess to begin with!
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I usually start my days late on the weekends and, as a result, my calories are usually lower on those days, usually by a couple hundred calories. I don't worry about it; I figure it makes up for any excesses during the week, when it can sometimes be a lot harder for me to stick to my allotted calories.

If you regularly have to stay up late on Tuesdays, maybe you could allow yourself some extra calories on that day. I find that on days when I have to be awake a longer than normal, I usually am hungrier and could use an extra snack. So have a few extra calories on Tuesday and a few less calories on Wednesday and it will all average out.

Also, if you looking for something to eat that is high in calories for a very small amount of food, and also very healthy, nuts and seeds (like sunflower seeds) are the perfect answer. Very high in calories for a very small amount of food and lots of good fats, omega 3s, some protein. It's all good! But you really have to watch your portion size, because the calories in them add up really quick.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #7  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the replies! I kind of figured since I feel good, it's all in balance.

I hadn't thought of it, but perhaps I will have a late snack on Tuesdays as I do wake up extremely hungry on Wednesdays but am fine other days of the week.

It's so odd learning how to eat all over again. Before, I would eat for no reason at all...because the food was there, because I was bored, because I could cram in a third helping. Now I eat because my body needs healthy nutrition. I kind of like it!
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/205/185

Height: 5'10"

I think if you are sleeping more, you are burning less calories than you would have if you were awake so you probably don't need them. Plus eating less than 1,000 for just one day a week isn't going to put your body into starvation mode... so just do what your doing, or maybe add that healthy treat if you ever get hungry.
marheena is offline   Reply With Quote