Why do I do this to myself?

• Hi everyone,

Well last spring I finally reached my goal of 50 pounds down and then over the summer (it started about June) I went back to my bad eating and non-exercise habits and proceeded to gain back about 15 pounds. In January I was back on track, and actually reached 61 pound weight loss! But again all of the sudden I am back on my bad eating habits and I have gained back 10 pounds! Anyone have any suggestions to get back on track and stay on track? Or what has worked for you when you have had set backs like this?

Thanks for reading my post!
  • It can be an awful roller coaster, and your story is like so many others! Most people who lose significant weight gain it all back, and often with "friends" -- that is, they gain more than they lost! I know that's happened to me every time I've lost weight before, and I have to work hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

This is why I think it's important to be on an eating and exercise plan that's sustainable for you. It has to be something you can do long term (you can tweak it as you go!). So if you lose weight eating just grapefruit, you will likely gain it all back when you move to eating more foods.

Even with a plan that's sustainable, most (if not all) of us find ourselves struggling with life and most of us find ourselves slipping from time to time. Sometimes it helps to be with other in similar situations!

I encourage you to read and post in the maintainer's forum. It's for EVERYONE, and a great place to see in action the strategies people use for day to day living and how to deal with getting back on track!

It's here! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=170

So, you are not alone!
  • I'm just now trying to get out of a 10 pound cycle of gain/loss which turned into just gain. What seems to have worked for me to get out of it is to set a date to start trying to get back on track, acknowledge that my habits are dreadful and it's going to be hard, and if I don't make it one day congratulate myself for making the effort and try again the next. It also helps me to have lots of things to do to distract me. Also, maybe it would help to find an exercise sort of activity you really love. Even when I'm "too tired" to go on the treadmill, I'm up for fencing or DDR.

Hope this helps a little.
  • Early last summer I weighed 123 lbs. Lots of stuff happened and my response was to eat stupidly and feel sorry for myself.

My weapon? A daily accounting thread here at 3FC, the gym and eating the way I know I should. It's just soo awful to know I've done it and backflopped. I remember what it was like and I want it back!!

BTW ... have you been to the Canadians thread?
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141257
  • I agree with Susan that accountability is important. I had lost over 100 lbs at WW, and then stopped going to meetings. Well, guess what happened! Now I can't afford to go to meetings at this time, so I am so happy to have found this site. I think it really helps to just know you're in the company of people who understand, and are on the same journey.

Oh, I also love your Sawyer pic!
  • Hey! So sorry to hear about your weight re-gain. You're definitely not alone in that experience.

What may be needed is a different mindset when it comes to food. I've had to put out of my mind any idea that I can go back to eating "the old way" once I've lost the weight. In other words, it's not a "diet"--it's a permanent change.

That doesn't mean you have to eat at your weight loss level forever! But it does mean that you will probably always have to watch and think about what you're eating, and you'll have to consider the tradeoffs. No more mindless eating.

Just as an example--for me, there are foods now that you couldn't pay me to eat! One is fast food french fries. These are nothing but greasy carb poison, and I have no interest in putting them in my body. If I'm going to eat potatoes, they are going to be real potatoes prepared in an excellent way, and eaten in a reasonable portion size.

Good luck! You can do this!

Jay
  • Thanks for all your replies, its nice to have such a great site with such support and with people that know what you are going through!
    Sometimes I wonder if I sabotage myself, I am not good with compliments and don't know how to say thank you when people start to notice my weight loss and say I am looking good. But thats another story *LOL*

Heather Congrats on the weight loss, you have done amazing! Also thank you for the suggestion on the other thread to check out.

ImpalaHoarder thanks for the suggestions, my main problem is I just cancelled my gym membership as I am too busy in the summer to go. I am going to have to find exercises at home that I will enjoy and stick to!

Susan I think your suggestion of the daily postings is smart, I haven't been in here in awhile, that has probably helped me with my slacking!

auntie g, for sure I have to get back to posting and seeing how well people are doing will encourage me to keep going. Plus you just gotta love Sawyer *LOL*

Jay, yes I agree with the mindset and how its a lifestyle change and not a diet. My main problem is I am a all or nothing person, I cannot seem to get out of that habit. I wish I could say no to fast food fries!

Thanks again everyone!