Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Last time I considered quitting, I was going to buy some of those caffeine pills (No-Doz or the like) so I could carefully control my intake. Another option is to take Excedrin when you get the headaches -- it has aspirin, tylenol, and caffeine. That's what I always take for headaches, ibuprofen doesn't work for me. Mine aren't migraines, though, so YMMV.

(For the record, I decided not to quit caffeine after all but I try to stick to 2 or 3 servings of diet soda a day now.)
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #17  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

are you trying to cut out the calories of coke or caffiene all together?
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #18  
Miss Thickness

S/C/G: 198/189/165

Height: 5'7

Default Good Luck (will You Have My Back Also?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesullengurl View Post
I'm cutting out soda completely as part of my diet plan today is my first day off .. I have done this in the past but I always fail for the same reason .. when I stop I have horrible withdraw migraines .. does anyone else get migraines if they go without ?... is there a way I can relieve this without getting the calories .. sometimes Ib profun doesn't help I think this is because its being caused by lack of caffine anyone have any advice I can't stand this migraine anymore its making me sick!
I've try before and it was horrible for at least a week migraines day and night but i got over it. but like a drug it whine me back in.
i'm starting my diet this up coming Monday and that means give up the Dr. Pepper's also. So that means i will be looking for you for that encouraging support really soon. lol
ciliciaclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I was off caffeine for almost a year. I have fibromyalgia, and fatigue is often a major symptoms. I was having a lot of problems with fatigue and talked to my general practictioner and neurologist. Ultimately, I did get a prescription for Provigil (an alertness drug that is less of a stimulant, used first for narcolepsy), but caffeine was recommended as my first line of defense.

I only take the Provigil for things like a family wedding or other special events where taking a nap would be inconvenient. Usually about three or four times a year. But I'm back to using diet Mountain Dew Code Red, medicinally.

My doctors, and I agree that switching to tea would be ideal, and I'm working on it, but caffeine can be very helpful as treatment for migraines, mild asthma, in conjunction with pain medications. I think it's important to look at caffeine just as you would alcohol and other drugs (OTC and prescription). Sometimes the benefits outway the risks or the alternatives.

I think also like many drugs with a dependence issue (not to be confused with an addiction issue), weaning is generaly a less painful method of quitting than cold-turkey.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 150/Ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

Wow !! thankyou everyone for your awesome replys!!! sorry I didn't respond sooner lol...I did manage to stick the day out yesterday with a dose of 3 ib profuns and to my delighted surprise today I didn't have any migraines maybe a tiny little headache not much noticable ... and no cravings !!!! can u believe it??? none!!... although tonight I decided to take a few shots of captain morgans which I HAVE to chase and I used a diet coke plus ( with mineral and vitamins ) it claims to be 0 calories somehow I can't believe that but ti is definately better than regualr coke... Im just gonna sit tight and cross my fingers the cravings or migraines don't attack! to the people asking.. yes I am cutting it out ALL together cold turkey .... other than the occasional friday or saterday night when I want to take a shot or two and chase it with something! and I will now stick to using the diet coke plus .... my neighbor also told me as someone mentioned above that excedrin or excedrin migrain works well and has a smallb oost of caffine in it .. she used it when she quit coffee .... my doctor once also prescribed caffine and or a chocolate bar once when I had migraines really bad ( non caffine related) back a while ago ... funny how things that ail you can be your cure aswell! cilicaclark I wish you the best of luck!!! you can doieeeeeeeeeeet !

Last edited by onesullengurl; 06-14-2008 at 10:03 PM.
onesullengurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #21  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

Cutting out the caffeine is so hard! But I'll go months without it and I always feel great, for some dumb reason I always get back to drinking it.

Every time I give it up, I do get bad bad bad headaches. Just try to take ibuprofen and tylenol (alternate them if you have to) before the headaches start. Drink a ton of water. You'll get through it soon enough!

I really do feel better when I go long periods of time without caffeine. I just started night shifts again, so I am waiting for my body to get used to them before giving it up.

It's hard! You can do it! Start out with caffeine free coke if it helps and then just get down to having water.

Your body will thank you!
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I can't cut caffine out of my diet. The headaches are brutal, I can't even explain the pain they put me in. I cut soda out of my diet, for the most part, I will have one if I go out for dinner somewhere ( Diet soda ) and then of course, I drink coffee for my "fix"
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Default Me Too! I am a 2-liter+ bottle addict!

I am too cutting back on my "addiction" to diet coke. I would drink up to (and sometimes beyond) a full two liter bottle per day! Every day. Well, I tried quitting the caffeine habit before, and remembered the killer headaches. I was a little nervous, I'll tell you!

I started making green tea in gallon pitchers ("sun" tea), and added a big handful of lemon balm and mint from my garden, along with a splash of lime juice. I am sweetening the pitcher with a combo of the pink stuff, the blue stuff and stevia (to taste), and I also add a couple tablespoons of Benefiber (can't see it or taste it), just to bring up the "good-for-you" levels. I will admit to drinking nearly a whole pitcher myself the first couple days, but I actually stopped the diet cokes for more than 48 hours - no headaches. I've been drinking it for the past 5 days, and have only had a glass of the soda twice in that time. I feel pretty good - I'm not as tired as I assumed I would be, and I seemed to have developed a more optimistic attitude (jeez - where'd THAT come from!?!)

I hesitate claiming that this change is assisting my weight loss, but I have lost more lately - not tons, but at this stage in my life, any loss is a good one!

Note: I will be easing up on the artificial sweeteners eventually, but right now, one addiction at a time!
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 150/Ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

Ok for a update for those of you who are quitting caffine aswell.. since the day I quit Ive had half of a regualr coke and 3 sips ( literally) of mt.dew ! ( I stopped myself) ... other than that I've been straight up all water and 1/2c milk a day. the migraines went away after the FIRST night.. I am so greatful for that I am convinced that instead of having headaches or migraines for 3-5 days it just gave me ONE HUGE killer migraine all at once .. I have quit caffine before several times in the past and gottent he migraines but this one was BAD .. thankyou all btw for seeing me through!

I have found a new staple aswell .... my husband bought me a box of 10 of the propell lemonade packets you pour into your water ... omg they are soo good.. they are a bit expensive but I only use them once every otherday or so just once in a while when I feel like I need some flavor ... funny how now that all I drink is water I actually prefer JUST plain water 90% of the time ... I think a soda or juice would send my taste buds into overdrive !

good luck everyone!
onesullengurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #25  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
but caffeine can be very helpful as treatment for migraines, mild asthma,

Hey, can you elaborate on the caffeine as a treatment for mild asthma? I've never heard of that b/4. My daughter has mild asthma and only uses her meds (she takes foradil -- ok, I know I'm spelling that wrong -- and has a rescue inhaler). Cold and cigarette smoke seem to be her biggest triggers. Thanks for anymore info you can provide.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote