21 Day Challenge

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Quote:
    Originally posted by katrinabgood Thanks, Katrina!

I missed my weigh in today...not too upset about that, because I seem to have fallen into the same slump a lot of us around here have found...having said that, I can't believe that I just blithely threw away almost a whole week of good, on program work for a day or two of haphazard eating!

We need a collective kick in the pants to re-energize us and get us back into high gear...Here's what I was thinkin'...

When I belonged to ediets, there was a message board called the "21 day challenge" the idea being that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. You commit to eating within your program, drinking the water and exercising for 21 days. If you slip, you begin again on Day 1. It really was very motivational and really a lot of fun...anyone interested in a challenge? Let me see if I can dig up the rules...

wow! I can't believe I did it without losing my post...must be an omen!

Rules for the 21-Day Challenge

Block 1
    1. You must drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water per day.
    2. You must eat from your meal plan or stay in your calorie range for every day!
    3. If you go over your calorie allotment, (OR cheat!) you must start over.
    4. No exercise is required until your second 21-Day Challenge (block#2), but by all means, if you're already exercising please continue!
    5. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.
    6. Nothing is wrong with having a yummy snack!! Just make sure you plan for it!! It has to be part of your calorie limit for the day!
    7. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!
    8. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.
    9. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

Block 2
    Same as block 1 + 20 minutes of exercise 5x/week

Block 3
    Same as Block 1
    + increase to 30 minutes of exercise 5x/week
    + toning exercise for at least 15 minutes 3x/week
    + must post inches lost

Block 4
    ON YOUR OWN... no rules except for the ones you set for yourself... it's time to turn this plan into your plan... you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal.
    Good luck to you as you complete your journey! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

What do you think? I'm just trying to shake things up a bit around here...

I'm up for the challenge, ARE YOU?
  • Day 1
    Hi!

I actually got in Day 1 yesterday, but it wouldn't be fair to count it and then see if anyone else wanted to jump in when I already had one day under my big belt

The behavior that I want to change is the exact behavior that put these extra pounds on me: eating for reasons other than hunger. If I can beat that, I will have my weight problem fixed, and this challenge is just the ticket, I think. The meal plan that I have to follow is simple, eat only when hungry and don't eat more than I need. I try to eat healthy, in any case. I also have to eat at the table when I'm alone, because elsewise (for example eating on the couch watching tv) it can get UGLY.

I do exercise almost every day, so I'll continue to do that! I'll report every day, which maybe should be another one of the rules.

One thing that is crucial for me, and I expect a lot of us, is trying to ensure that my needs are met. If I eat for reasons other than hunger, then whatever my actual need was for is still unsatisfied (and I get fatter!). If I try to make sure that my real needs (e.g. for: fun, rest, self-expression, spirituality, etc, etc, etc) are taken care of, I'm less likely to dive face first into a bag of cookies

Ok, then - here goes Day 1. Let's make it a great one!

xo
    babette
    1/0/1
    day/pounds lost (so far in challenge)/block
  • Me again.
    Just wanted to pop in and refresh my motivation. I just finished lunch, and still have a desire to munch... But --- I'm not going to. I've planned my meals today, and already had my water and exercise. I'm kind of tired, so I think I will treat myself to a little lounging on the couch with a coffee and magazine.

xo
    babette
  • Hi Babette!

Good idea for a seperate thread, but feel free to join us anytime on the other thread!

Okay, here goes...Day One is in full swing...I shopped yesterday, stocked up on my veggies, fruit, brown rice, yogurt (plain, fat free, I add the fruit), whole wheat breads, etc...I'm armed and ready!

I'm basically following Weight Watchers still, with an emphasis on low sugar, meaning trying to omit white flour, pasta, white rice, sweets...well, maybe not OMIT, (cuz I know me...once I say I CAN'T have something, it's all I crave!) but drastically reducing their quantities.

I weighed in at work last night, I know their scale is about 4# higher than my WW scale, but I will post my weight now and make the adjustment after weigh in next Tuesday. I'm posting my weight in the "lbs lost" section for now, I think seeing the number everyday will be helpful for me...

Oh yeah, one more thing...Babette, if you had Day 1 yesterday, by all means, start with that! We may not all be on the same day at any given time, so don't give up a hard earned day if you don't have to!

So here's to new beginnings and the forming of new, PERMANENT habits! ~*clink!*~ (that was one of my alloted glasses of water, of course!)

Good luck!
  • Hello!!

Well, even though I've already had 3 good days in a row, I'm going to start the challenge tomorrow. Friday is my weigh in day and think that's a good place to start keeping count. I don't want to weigh every day, so I'll update my pounds lost each Friday (unless I give in and step on the scale sooner). So here goes....good luck to all of us!!

Jen
    1/0/1
  • Hi fellow blockees,

I'm two-thirds through day 2 of block #1. I didn't weigh myself yesterday though, but not eating chocolate is enough for me. I followed my Rs foodmover and exercised/lifted weights today.

I have to share this with you. I'm really hungry. I want to chuck it all this moment and have a fattening dinner. I haven't gone without any meal or snack, but the idea of being on plan is making me hungry. Help!!!!

Malia
    2/0/1

• Dont do it, Malia!!
    Come on, Malia...think of the feelings of self pride and accomplishment you will have if you look that "HUNGER" in the eye (or wherever you look hunger into!) and say "you will not win!" Are you REALLY hungry--stomach growling, light headed? Are you bored? Think about what you are really feeling, then come here and post it!!
    Hang in there!

I'm going to be gone til tomorrow...dh & I will be spending the night at a B&B in New Hope, PA Should be fun! I have every intention of sticking to this challenge...got through Day 1 by the skin of my teeth, but I did it!

I think we should be known as "blockheads"...

good luck...
  • Day 2 down!
    Hi Fellow Blockheads (hmmm... not sure i like that )
    Newsflash: down 1 pound! Yay!

Got through day 2 well. I had a couple of weak moments, but came back on here and got remotivated. Today I have to do some things that I don't want to do. I'm helping my son get legal arrangements worked out in a child support situation and things are disturbing. But I am not going to shove my feelings down my throat with food. It only makes me feel worse anyway. I'm just going to hang in and feel what I feel whether I like it or not.

Malia, IMHO, I think you should try to avoid getting too hungry because it makes it much harder to stay OP. Try to eat when you're hungry -- you can do it with lower point/calorie foods.

Katrina, Hope you had lots of fun at the B& B. I'm jealous!

Jen, why don't you count your 3 days -- Katrina talked me into counting my 1 day extra, and I feel like the more days down the stronger i feel.

I guess I'll post my weight too, because otherwise I might not remember exactly what it was and get confused about whether I've lost or not.

Let's make this a great day, All!

xo babette
    2/214 (-1)/1
  • Well, as tempting as it is to post those other three days, I am going to start with today anyway. That way my days coincide with my plan and my weigh in on Friday. Besides, I had a huge loss this week as I always do my first week (7 pounds) and I know that's just all the water weight. Now the work begins!! Losing the fat. The water weight is a gimme, but I really want to keep track of how much I lose from here on out.

So far so good today! Already exercised 30 minutes. Hope everyone is having a good day. I'll try to come in and post more later.

Jen
  • Day 3, and all's well!
    Hi All!

Hope your weekend's going well. I got through a tremendously stressful day yesterday without backsliding. I did have a couple of incidents where I forgot momentarily and ate a crumb of something or other before I remembered, but I'm not penalizing myself for that, because it does take a little while before I remember all the time.

Yesterday I walked four miles, and today I did chi gung when i got up, and then went to the gym, did 30 minutes on the exercise bike and 30 minutes circuit training and then a 15-minute walk home. I felt great! It's so long since I did any exercise heavier than walking that I'd forgotten all about endorphins, the exerciser's best friend. I came out feeling chipper and cheerful, which was a real change Now I'm a bit tired, but since I was tired when I woke up, I'm not going to blame the gym for that! I'll likely do an evening set of chi gung to help me wind down before bed.

Jehari, WAY TO GO! 7 pounds!!! That is so fabulous! I never lose any amounts like that even in two weeks. What a great kick-off for the challenge, even if you don't count it in!

Have a lovely evening, Everyone!

xo
    babette
    4/214 (-1)/1
  • Hi there, blockheads!

I'm home, we had a great time and I'm happy to say I'm on Day 3! Made it through Day 2 without a hitch...ate out twice and I was SO good! Lots of salad, I had shrimp for lunch and dinner, drank my water and got LOTS of exercise; we walked and walked and walked! If shopping burns calories, then I'm really set! Before we even left, I took my AM walk with my weights, just to be sure I got my exercise in!

Today we had a light breakfast at the inn, fruit and scones, I haven't eaten since. We're going to take the kids out to dinner, so I'm saving up for something good! For my exercise today, I had to twist hubby's arm to walk with me, but we managed a good 30 minute walk along the canal...I told him, "We'll just walk for 15 minutes and turn back." Grudgingly, he did, and it was lovely...it's about 70 degrees here today, Spring is definitely in the air!

Sounds like you guys are doing great too! Seven lbs, Jen! Wow! That is truly motivating, water or no water! Keep it up!

Babette, what is chi gung? Like Tae Bo? Tai chi? Karate? I'm guessing here...is it easy? fun? I'm always looking for something new! Got to LOVE those endorphins!

OK, I'd better go unpack, and get ready for dinner...I'm HUNGRY! Have a great weekend! Keep up the good work!

See ya!
  • chi gung
    Katrina, chi gung is kind of like tai chi, but simpler and is separate exercises rather than a sequence of movements. It translates to something like "energy work." It's not really aerobic or anything but makes you more limber and supposedly unblocks the body's energies. Based on the idea that humans have energy gates throughout the body that become blocked, to the detriment of physical, mental, and spiritual health. It's easy to do, and I do feel better when I do it regularly. The exercises I do are from a couple of tapes from the "Living Arts" exercise tapes, A.M. Chi & P.M. Chi.

I started Tai Chi classes last winter and kept going for quite a while but have missed a few months since I moved a while back. But I'm going to start up again soon. It feels fabulous after you can get through a set. Most times after a class, I felt like I'd just had a full-body massage, and like i couldn't have gotten stressed out about anything if I tried. Oh yeah, I got to get back to it!

You reminded me that I intended to do my evening set, so I guess I will go do that!

G' Night!

babette
    4/214 (-1)/1 Hey! I had another good day!
  • Hi Blockettes,

Jen, congratulations on your 7lb loss. You go girl. For the rest of you, congratulations on your success.

I've completed day 1 today. I went to the back of the line yesterday. I had a powerful hunger Thursday nite. We ate out at Ruby's (it's sort of a retro 40's diner). My mom had a st patrick's mint shake, clam chowder (cut with a knife), and a gravy smothered turkey stuffing dinner. I ordered vegetable soup (clear broth), half turkey sandwich, and a glass of water. I felt satisfied..... Friday morning, I woke up to a one pound loss 244lbs. I broke the barrier....Friday night I blew it at the bazaar. I had two Portuguese malasadas or fried doughnuts. Bummers.

However, a new day is a new start. I did well today. For dinner, I ate poached salmon w/little butter and capers. Steamed veggies with balsamic vinegar. It was deleecious. I worked all day on my hedge. Picking grass out and putting up a windbreak. My arms feel like spaghetti. If I can conquer one week of my plan, I feel my weight will drop off.

Babette, I love those endorphins. I get "high" from my circuit weight workout. Your chi gung sounds peaceful and energizing too.

Day one, twenty to go,
    Malia

1/245/1
  • Happy Sunday!
    Hope everyone is having a nice & relaxing kind of day. DH & I went for a 5-mile walk this a.m. It's just started to rain now, so I'm glad it held off until we got back. Also did my a.m. Chi -- I've been a bit depressed, and I have to keep reminding myself that i have to work at feeling good sometimes, but it's worth it!

Day 5! I'm so happy to be doing this. It just feels so empowering and freeing not to be out of control. These seem to be behaviors that I can manage: making sure I only eat at the table when I'm by myself is the easiest to get a grip on -- eating only when I'm hungry and not eating more than I need is a little bit more difficult, but I am managing. And what a payoff! Just to be able to live without spending most of my energy thinking about either food or my weight is a godsend!

Malia, you're right about the circuit training. I've just started it and it makes me feel fabulous! I'd almost forgotten how good heavy exercise can make me feel, but I'm definitely going to keep it up.

Have a great day, All, and let's get ready to really KICK IT this week!

xo
    babette
    5/214 (-1)/ 1
  • Well, I had all those good days in a row, only to blow it tonight. Had a binge. DANG IT!! Well I'll be back fresh tomorrow.
    Jen